trying to figure out my disc brake hubs.

GoldenMotor.com

Mr.GhettoRig

Mar 25, 2012
Port Charlotte
Alright, so I'm trying to figure out what hub I should go with for running disc brakes without completely draining my bank account.

I was looking into a flip flop hub for the rear which seems to come pretty cheap on amazon. with a freewheel on one side and a disc adapter on the other. and a regular BMX hub for the front with the disc adapter. I've been looking around for anyone who's done this but can't seem to find anything, other than a few of you using the adapter to run your sprocket. But I think with the disc it would need to be threaded the opposite direction? or would it be the standard threading for a regular flip flop hub? I found a sprocket on evilbay that fits the fixie side of the hub since I think the adapters fit the bigger side of the hub.

so I guess my first question is would the flip flop hub be a good way to go assuming everything was together correctly? Do I need some kinda special hub or are the standard hubs already right hand threaded on both sides? and where can I find the disc adapter.. I've been searching around and found a bunch of sites that have them but no one has one in stock. there's a couple out there for electric scooters but I'm not sure if the size/threading is the same...

or if the flip/flop hubs are a bad idea what are some of my other options for running disc? Msrfan recommended I use a thicker axle than the 10mm-3/8 for extra durability. but finding a disc hub with a bigger axle AND disc compatibility for a non-outrageous price seems unlikely. I could always buy a regular 3/8 disc hub but then I'd need to replace the axle and I'm not sure which conversion kit would fit with which bearing. Most of my confusion is probably from not really knowing what to look for, I could use really any advice at this point even if it's along the lines of burning the bike. Tired of pulling my hair out over wheel hubs.

:-||