need an opinion on some things that are brake related

GoldenMotor.com

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
So i'm working on building a 24" 2 stroke bike this time.

I need some opinions and experiences with drum brakes.

the bike has rim brakes right now and i've been toying with the idea of running drums on this rather than going to disc.

I have a single disc rotor on my 26" predator bike, but i'm finding it very hard to find a disc wheel that is in 24" and i do like how simple the drums look, but if the drums only provide about as much stopping power as rims, then i'll just keep working on going disc.

what is everyone else's views on drum over rim brakes? i know that disc will ultimately be better, but still toying with the idea of doing front and rear drums.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I feel like the Shimano roller (drum) brakes are almost as good as mechanical disk brakes. I also have some drum brakes, made by Arai and Worksman (or at least it is standard on a worksman trike) that are about the same strength as a good cantilever brake, but unaffected by rain.
I think disk brakes are best, but I like the look of the drums on a cruiser style bike.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
You can also have a 24" disc wheel built. (most any bicycle shop should be able to do it for you). ;)
true, i've been thinking of doing that. i'll need to get an adapter for my forks to mount a disk brake to it, but i figured if i'm going to build a wheel, i'd at least check into what drums have to offer.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I have an older Worksman front wheel, its steel, 11g spokes, and has a pretty large drum. Its at least 90mm, not sure if Worksman ever made any larger than that, but its a good size. The important thing to remember about drums is just like discs, the larger the diameter, the better the stopping power. Also, the shoes take a little while to bed in, so you may find them a bit squishy at first if they are new. That being said, I think drums are still a good choice. I run a rear coaster (also a type of drum) and if I need to stop quickly, I use both brakes, but that rarely is the case. I have found that the drum by itself stops me adequately. Front and rear drums, once broken in, would be plenty of stopping power.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
This is a Sturmey Archer X-FD 70 mm drum on a 24" wheel that has 12g spokes. Looks pretty little huh. That's prolly why it doesn't have very strong stopping power, but that seems to be dependant of how afraid you are of hitting the back of that bus. If you put enought effort into it it seems to work better. I'd rate it a little above a $6 rim brake though, and it's not effected by rain. There's also a XL-FD that's 90mm. I have one those on the Atomic BB, and it works a little better.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Here is the 90mm Sturmey Archer drum brake laced to a 26" wheel on my latest build which is the the same drum brake hub that resides on a 24" wheel on my tandem build.

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/3938/img0342hz.jpg

And then you have a 185mm hydraulic disc brake mounted on a 26" wheel......and then the same disc bake set-up mounted on a 24" wheel.....

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/6903/img0722xo.jpg

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/9592/img1509v.jpg

Ya see here, it doesn't matter much whether or not your running a 24" or 26" wheel so long as the hub is drilled for the same number of spokes as the rim.

Comprende?

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I have both drum and disc brakes. I have avid bb7's on my 2 stroke mt.bike, and worksman drum with rear coaster on my cruiser. Both break systems work great and are capable of throwing you over the handlebars if locked up. It all depends on your budget and what look your going for. If you have the cash have the bike shop lace you a solid wheel with whatever brake setup you choose.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
so i'm thinking now of running a drum up front and the disc in the rear. i've got a disc rear wheel coming in tomorrow that i can throw on there (also be good to see if i need to adjust the caliper mount at all)

once i have the bike running i'll be looking at sourcing a front drum hub to use on the 24" wheel in the front.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I haven't been able to figure out how to get a sprocket, and a disk to work at the same time on the rear. Good luck, I think it can be done but not easily.