coaster brake to any other brake type conversion

GoldenMotor.com

bro-die

Dec 22, 2011
guam
Im not a fan of coaster brake so im tyring to convert to any other brake so I dont have to back pedal when hitting the brakes. Is this possible and what is needed to do the conversion? Coaster brakes are somewhat scary for me because the hand can react faster than the feet when braking. Please let me in on some info. Thanks.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
To do that, you basically need a different rear wheel and another rear brake. You probably do not have any brake posts on your frame, so your only option - without welding posts and tabs - is cheap caliper brakes. They don't work very well for motor use, but they are better than nothing.

My bike used to be a coaster (and I feel they are unsafe, too). I switched to a rear wheel with a 3-speed freewheeling hub that has a hand-pull drum brake built into it. Does the job decent enough.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Im not a fan of coaster brake so im tyring to convert to any other brake so I dont have to back pedal when hitting the brakes. Is this possible and what is needed to do the conversion? Coaster brakes are somewhat scary for me because the hand can react faster than the feet when braking. Please let me in on some info. Thanks.
On my cruiser bike, I had a coaster brake.

Then I had front caliper brakes installed before I rolled it outa the store.

The bike ran 27mph.

Then I installed rear caliper brakes.

Then I installed a suspension fork with v-brakes.

So I had THREE brake systems.

The bike now ran 39mph.

It worked well enough, and it was cheap.

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
to install caliper brakes you must have a crossbar positioned at a suitable distance from the rim, between the seat stays, with a hole drilled into the center of it for the bolt which is the pivot for the brake arm levers. on the front fork, there must be a hole drilled for the bolt. some newer styled front forks have an extended stem, with the forks welded alongside it. the longer stem is drilled for the caliper pivot bolt.

center pull rim brakes and linear pull brakes require a special lug welded onto the seat stay or front fork leg for the brake arm pivot.

Disk brakes require a hub capable of accepting a top hat adapter for the disk, or a purpose built hub, and lugs welded on the stay and fork to support the caliper. Disk brakes are available with cable or hydraulic operation.

there is also a center pull style of brake called a 'bulldog' which pulls a triangular wedge up between the two brake arms.

not to be forgotten will be the drum brakes offered by the asian manufacturers, which might be a good option!

Have I omitted anything? :)

Would pics help u makes decisions on this?

Best
rc

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
You have fenders, so that makes it more complicated.

Do you have a front brake? If you don't, get that first. Contact Venic Motor Bikes on this forum. Ask if their front disc brake adaptor will bolt onto your front fork. If it does, the 203mm BB7 front disc assembly would be the absolute best front brake addition you could do.

If their adaptor won't bolt on, you could shop around for a used fork that's fit your bike. Now would be a good time to install a front suspension fork, which would also have a front disc brake mount.

The front disc brake alone might be all you'd need, along with your coaster brake.

The front suspension fork is also a good addition, and easy to install.