Let's get a Maine/Mass/RI/CT ride going

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I have a 2 smoker you can use CM. It came with a stripped head bolt thread but can re-threaded'ed it b4 or even there. Runs but is a dawg. A lot of folks bring a spare or 3.

Was hoping to have an American made 2 stroke ready as well but no chance o' dat. Took 2 years to find an engine made here for our thing. Gonna be cool. Now am impatient, lol.

r.ly.

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
I was going to come but my rear wheel bearings ate themselves today. I just put my new 36 tooth on and was going for a ride. Got her up to 42 on the flat when the rear bearings locked up. I'm ok just rode the skid out. The 3 mile walk home sucked worse.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Oh man! glad to hear your OK. Ayup, pushing home is not fun. I have at least 5 tore up back wheels and you are welcome to all the bearings you need. Cheapo, wally world ones.

I have been coming up with uses for all the junk I made out of my rear wheels when I switched to the HF. Thing ate em like nutton. Is funny how useful spokes are. No kidding. Been making throttles out of them. Look purty cool.

Any way, you really are welcome to the bearings if ya want em SlowBalt.

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
I've never worked on bearings before. I'm just going to buy a better wheel. Can any one recommend one that will hold up to my need for speed.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Dan,
Thanks for everything. The ride was great. I didn't think that a in the city ride could be so much fun.
That was a super route, if I had the time I would have run it again. There were a lot of first on that ride, never rode my bike into an elevator before! Hope to do it again sometimes and it was great meeting you guys.

Jim

James65/Russell

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Jim, Thank you so much! was a great ride and in classic New England fashion. your one liner jokes were awesome. Just slipped em in there. Carol says "hey" and thank you. Next time drag the wife along. They can sit an' complain about us but we will be off on a ride, snork. God Bless ya both an' please be well.

TRAX

Nov 4, 2008
CT
Dan,

Sorry I we didn't make it. Lisa tells me "I" forgot about a planning meeting that I had committed too. I told her it was on her for not reminding me..... but I lost that argument. Catch ya next time. looks like you guys had fun. That ride sounds awesome, elevator?

Russell,

That's a sweet ride. hope to see it in person one of these days.

TRAX

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Trax! Carol was all "but you said they coming" LOL. Next time buddy. I have this findish plan about saying "well Mrs. Trax rides..." To try and get Carol on one. Think I have the build a trailer/seat thing but that will just end badly.

No kidding, years into this crazy and she has never even sat on one.

Side note. I am making a trellis thing like your rack to grow roses on in front of the front door. Gonna be cool and next time we get together will show you one down the st. Is beautiful.

TRAX

Nov 4, 2008
CT
Yes well, I'm still not sure how I convinced Lisa to go on her first ride( If I remember correctly there was a good bit of pleading involved and some negotiations over the Honey-do list) I only had the one MB at the time. After her first ride she something like "That was fun but, it would be nice if we had two so we could ride together." Man, I couldn't get the 2nd bike built fast enough. Now we ride together whenever we get a chance. I thought for sure Carol was going to join us on the last ride of the may meet-up, don't give up lol. The copper trellis sounds very cool. look forward to seeing it.

TRAX

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That is so awesome T. Is fun watching you 2. One or the other looks over, there is a sort of nod and you both agreed on what ever. A short hand communication of partners. Carol and I are going on 22 yrs and she says we do the same thing but (like so very, very much) have missed it. When I said that is so cool how they do that, she said we did too. I dunno. I do know when she is hurt before the words though. I get no points for that but does give PPGT (pre/post groveling time) snork

Was and still might do a thread on how great it is to have a partner. I came home from work today to find my shop (read garage) not only cleaned but every tool put up and away. In our younger yrs, could and very often did call her in the wee hrs of the morn needing to get bailed out. Not once did she ask what I did (well, until the ride home and most were pretty funny stories) Just what town and how much.

Just saying seeing and knowing you both makes me know I got it good an' have to tell Carol more how much I enjoy the life she makes for us. Pretty much I make MBs, yard things and fix the toilet. She makes our home a pretty wonderful life.

Used to spend months at sea and thought I missed her. Now if she goes off for the day, I gotta call her 2ce. lol. Lets keep that here.

Any way, Carol and I look forward to next ride/get together . I found a really cool route! One elevator, 2 bridges and 3 parks, snork.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Dan,
Sorry that my clutch was slipping on the ride. i checked my GPS we averaged 28 mph. Sorry that I held you back but we must have hit 35 at some points to get that average. I pulled the motor apart and ckhecked the clutches. The problem was the manual clutch. I was supprised by that. I thought that the manual clutch would be fine due to the centrifgual doing mos of the engagement. I cleandedthe manual pads and all seems right. Again I am glad that they held up for the ride.
I have ordered two new sets of pads for the clutch.
I hope you saw the post on the Pa rally, made front page of the local paper. Whish you had made that ride, it was great.
Let's hope we get more NE people together for get together rides, the good weather is fading fast.
Thanks again for getting the ride going.

Jim

Russell/james65

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Jim, you were a blast to hang out and ride with. I kept thinking it was great to ride as my engine was new an' going in the 20s was a good thing. Have almost 20 hrs on her now.

You guys have to see Jim's work. Is art! Simple, clean and wow. Alls any of us do is make the rear turn. Jim done did it pretty. Post pics Jim.

OH! he showed up with a giant American flyer trailer!!!!! Ya gotta see this thing! Is classic. I still vote ya need a handle, snork

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Dan,
Took the black OCC out with the cleaned pads and worked great. After a few bacardi 151's took the old 1950 roadmaster with a 50cc out for a extended run. People just seem to love that old bike. A cop flagged me down just to ask about it, glad he didn't smell my breath. The 5 speed OCC seems to be running great after it let me down on the Pa. run.
Thats just the way things are with these MB's.
Enclosing a few pics.

Last edited:

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Ray,
I wish I had brought that bike to Pa. Had it on the trailer but had to remove it with the other three bikes on there.
Be sure to let me know if you do another Nh run. The pa. rally was great but I was bummed out when the bike failed. It turned out to be a bad broken pull start and weld failure between the freewheel and the adapter.
Keep the shiny side up.

Russell/ James65

Last edited:

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
Ray,
I wish I had brought that bike to Pa. Had it on the trailer but had to remove it with the other three bikes on there.
Be sure to let me know if you do another Nh run. The pa. rally was great but I was bummed out when the bike failed. It turned out to be a bad broken pull start and weld failure between the freewheel and the adapter.
Keep the shiny side up.

Russell/ James65
Yeah James, that was too bad that your bike broke down after you came all the way here to Pa. It looks like a very well built bike. It can happen to any of us.
Jay

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Yeah James, that was too bad that your bike broke down after you came all the way here to Pa. It looks like a very well built bike. It can happen to any of us.
Jay
Jay,
I have no one to blame, it was my tack weld that let go. I have re-welded it and that won't happen again. That only leaves a hundred other things that can go wrong. Next year I'll bring a backup ride.
Just that it was a bummer because that bike has never given me a problem in the past, murphy stikes again.
At least I got in a good long run and saw some great countryside, before it let me down about two miles from your place. An Ahmish couple and another Pa. resident gave me help and I finally made it back.
Still it was a good day and got to meet a lot of nice people. Thanks for all your effort making it such a great event.
That was the only porta-johnny that was clean enough to bring a magazine in with you.
Got back to late to enjoy the meal Bonnie prepared, but everyone said it was great. Couldn't kick back and have a few brews as I had to drive directly back to Boston
Once again thanks and hope to see you next year if not sooner.

Jim/Russell

Also thanks goes out to Ray and Dan for the events that they got together.

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
Just got my bike back together. Only a week late. Managed to hit 43mph on the new 36 tooth setup. And it still pulls at 20 mph up steep hills,and I'm 200lbs. I'm going to miss this little engine when it finally grenades. It seems to have allot more power than all the other bikes I've built. Hopefully we can get another ride going soon.By the way this is the bike.

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
It's a new schwinn Drifter from Sears. I picked it up on sale for $150. With a monster 2stroke from BGF on eBay. I'm running a 36 tooth, and a pocket bike exhaust. since i took that picture I have changed the fenders due to them cracking around the mounts. also I'm on my 3rd rim in 500mi. I guess cruising at 40 eats them pretty quick. I need to find a good rear wheel even my new one gets red hot after a few miles at speed.