Adding suspension to older Schwinn Mesa

GoldenMotor.com

jauguston

May 1, 2010
Bellingham, WA
Like the title says I am wondering if I can get a suspension front fork for this bike and if so will it handle OK. It has a 1 1/8" threaded post. I have googled and only found really expensive ones. I am just a old guy that would like to get rid of some of the shock that comes up into the bars. I don't offroad it at all.

A fellow at the local community bike co-op said he didn't think it would handle right.

Any ideas and sources??

Jim

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Jaug,
Jumped on the I-net, many of the mesa bikes came with suspension front ends, I could only go back to 2005. I would imagine you could pick up a set of rox shox on E-bay used pretty cheap.

Mac

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
wish i could help ya but i only have threadless forks i actually do sorry lemme measure them if there good gimme a few bux and there yours

jauguston

May 1, 2010
Bellingham, WA
FBT,

Let me know what you have and we can work something out. It looks like the 1 1/8" tube needs to be about 6" long. If you don't have one possibly one in the link GhostO posted will work.

Are there any concerns about the handling getting worse??

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
If You Go With The Hydrualic Type, One For Rim & Disc Brake Would Be Nice, Add Disc Brakes Later. Brakes Are Number One Imho! Good Luck. Ron

jauguston

May 1, 2010
Bellingham, WA
Neat Times,

Sadly I do not speak fluent bike talk so I really don't know what you are refering to. I'm just a old guy that wants to reduce the road shock getting to my old arthritic hands, arms and shoulders.

Jim

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Jaug, Yes, It Takes Awhile To Learn The Lingo! By Hydraulic Fork, I Mean The Shock Absorber Type. They Make Then That Have The Mount For Rim Brakes And The Bolt Boss`s On The Bottom Left For Disc Brake Mount. I Am A Senior And Can`t Take The Jarring Of Non Suspension Bicycle. If You Go With A Springer Fork There Is A Hole For Regular Rim Brake Mount. You Can Buy The Adapter For Disc Brakes For The Springer Also. You Can Spend From $40. To $1500. For Shock Type Front Forks That I Think Have About 8 Inch`s Of Travel. I Just Dream Of The High Dollar Forks, Have Watched Them On Ebay, The Price Gets High By The End Of The Auction, Apparently The Economy Is Not Bad For Everyone!! Lol. I Have 3 Springer Bikes, But Have Not Rode Them Much. Hope This Helps, And Welcome To The Forum. Will Post A Pic Of My Shifter Bike With The Shock Type Front Fork And Rear Suspension. Ron .cvlt1

Attachments

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Jaug, If It Don`t Work With Flybytaco, He Is A Good Dude By The Way! That Springer Grind 1 Is Looking Good, The One In The Picture Is Set Up For Rim & Disc Brake, Thats A Decent Price, I Don`t Know What Shipping Is. Taco Will Fix You Up If He Can. Good Luck Ron .cvlt1

jauguston

May 1, 2010
Bellingham, WA
I sure hope Taco can fix me up. The forks on that link GhostO posted are all out of stock. I searched for it on other sites and only found threadless. Darn it (-:

Jim

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
Ok, please be very careful of adding a suspension fork to a frame not built for one. The neck angle of a frame built for a solid fork is different (more straight up) than a frame for suspension. It changes the "trail". If you do add one do not use a long travel 100mm fork this is esp bad. The more the fork compresses the less angle or more straight up and down the neck angle becomes and the steering of the bike becomes to "fast" This is compounded by the speed we travel at. It makes the bike very unstable. I know lots of ppl do it. But if you get in a situation where you hit a dip that really compresses the fork and your hauling butt you could end up on your head. Motorcycle riders call it tank slap. The fork starts a uncontrolable wobble. You can counter it with a smaller rear wheel but your way ahead money wise too if you find a craigslist bike that was made for front suspension. Just my 2 cents.

jauguston

May 1, 2010
Bellingham, WA
Thanks for the heads up Funster. I had been made aware of that issue. My riding is not off-road and as I said earlier I am just looking to relieve some of the shock to my old bones. I have found a old SD Duo-Track 7005 fork for $10.00 at the Recyclery in Port Townsend, WA. We are in the RV park across the water at Fort Casey State Park for a few days and I took the ferry over there Saturday and picked it up along with a handlebar with more rise for $4.00 to get my old tired back a little straighter. I have it apart cleaning it up and it looks like it has at most 1 1/2" of travel and that should be plenty for my needs. Aside from needing cleaning it looks to be in good condition.

I now have about 50 miles on my engine installation with the Sick Bike Parts Shifter Kit and really like it. I have their extra big first gear rear chain ring set and a 30t front freewheeler sprocket instead of the kits 36t sprocket. Still just a little too much gear in 7th. 5100 rpm at 30 mph in 6th and only 4300 in 7th. It won't pull me in 7th. I'm 250#.

Jim

jauguston

May 1, 2010
Bellingham, WA
I am not going to try and go any faster in fact 30 mph is WAY too fast for me.

I have found and installed a Sync Excel 515 suspension fork. The mountain bikers rated them junk but for my on-road only riding they should help keep the road shock out of my 70 year old arms and shoulders. I found them at the Community Bike Repair Co-op for $10.00. Its pouring down rain so I haven't given it a road test yet.

Jim