Motor Bike regulations

GoldenMotor.com

motuman

Nov 28, 2009
SoCal
I'm thinking about getting in to the motor bike world and have some questions about regulations and enforcements (especially for California peeps)...

Part of the appeal to me (aside from the cool factor of a tricked out cruiser) is the possibility of riding a motor bike places where motorcycles and scooters are not allowed, like bike paths and unofficial trails. I understand there is no substitute for common sense, but I'd like to heat about your experiences.

•*Do most bike paths in your area have "no motor vehicle allowed" signs or regulations?
•*Are "no motor vehicle" restrictions strictly enforced for motorized bicycles?
• How much hassle do you get from the regular bicyclists, and/or law enforcement, when riding in areas normally limited to bicycles? (I could see cyclists taking offense to the 2 stroke noise & smoke, and calling me in).
• How about the "kill the engine and coast" routine when you see a cyclist or law enforcement coming your way? Does this cut you any slack?
• California peeps - Do you get any hassles from the cops on "compliance issues"? Like maximum engine size, EPA compliance, licensing issues, etc?

We get ticketed for any and all infractions in our town...no warnings, so I'm just wondering what everyone's experience has been before I dive in.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Motuman. There is a part of this forum dedicated just to legal matters. Go to that part of the forum and you will find posts about Cali laws.
I general, motorized bikes are permitted in bike lanes situated next to a motor vehicle lane.
You generally need to kill the motor on the sidewalk and multi-use paths.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
as far as the "actual" laws go, that topic is still being beaten to death on at least two other threads.

i can answer some of your questions, though.

the santa ana river trail is off limits to ALL motorized vehicles except for maintenance, city, and emergency vehicles. there's a few other bike paths around newport, huntington, etc that also are off limits, and there's signs posted everywhere. dunno what the penalty is if you get caught.

i personally have never been stopped by the cops, and i buzz around next to them all the time. i never kill the motor and coast past. i tend to stop at every stop sign, light, etc, unlike almost everyone who pedals a bike.

cops i've talked to told me as long as i'm wearing a helmet i'm legal.

as far as other "cyclists" are concerned, scr3w 'em. most rich spandex road bikers violate every law, think they own the road and the world's bicycling rights, they're bitter, elitist snobs who frown upon on anyone who's out in their converse and baggy shorts having a good time...

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I know that in Venice, your motor must be 'off' to be on the beach bike paths, But you can run the engine on any street. (just obey normal bicycle laws)

& just like Baird said... wear a helmet & the cops won't mess with you! ;)

omegaunderground

Sep 16, 2009
modesto
I live in Modesto CA, I ride a lot and never had any cops pull me over. I have gotten strange looks from cops, I think more of a what the heck is that stare... lol. Once they determine what it is they either look away or just smile at me. A helmet is a great idea though I've come pretty close to wiping out a few times.