Pulled Over!

GoldenMotor.com

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Norman and I were riding Sunday evening. We saw a city cop pulling out of a shopping center. We shut the engines off and just pedaled. Norman even waved at him. After he got out of sight we started the engines back up. We kept looking back and saw him again. He was way behind us and he stopped. I figured he was watching us with binoculars. But then again I could just be paranoid. It might not have even been the same officer. But we ghost pedaled again until we got out of his sight and fired em back up again. But I hadn't thought about the wearing a bicycle helmet. That might even make you look more like a legitamate bicycler. But I ain't going to wear spandex. I don't want to be cause of lots of traffic accidents:D.....................................

cruiser66

Mar 4, 2008
Westport, MA
In Massachusetts the law is DOT approved motorcycle helmets when riding motorized bikes. I wear a DOT half helmet, but a bicycle helmet is much more comfortable.

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
it was that your attractive, not the bike that made them stop you. if your body is shapely don"t wear clothing that makes you look to fancy. I live New York City cops here are sometimes like that.

Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE
Here in Nebraska Their totally legal so long as you wear a decent DOT certified brain bucket, have a taillight/ front light, less then 50cc engine/2 break hp/ automatic tranny/ gos less then 40MPH, and poses a horn. The best part about them is their exempt from registration, wheel tax, and insurance.

now with that out of the way a few weeks ago i was praising the benefits of such a niave vehicle at my neighborhood petro station when a local inspection sherif overheard me and tried to tell me they were illegal cause he didn't like the fact he would be out of a job if these things really caught on locally. Well thankfully i have a certified email from the DMV stating its legality so hopefully next time i run into the arsh whole i can show em the print up.

Jun 25, 2008
I have just got this helmet

And i think i've probably shot myself in the foot. Due to a fractured skull and double haemorrhage < (had to look that up!) i cant take any risks or doc sez its game over.

Thing is i think because its a half motorcycle helmet it'll make em pull me over.....

or am i second guessing and getting myself in a pickle....

Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE
I have just got this helmet

And i think i've probably shot myself in the foot. Due to a fractured skull and double haemorrhage < (had to look that up!) i cant take any risks or doc sez its game over.

Thing is i think because its a half motorcycle helmet it'll make em pull me over.....

or am i second guessing and getting myself in a pickle....
Times like the above for mentioned post, i am proud to be part of a country that has some common sense when dealing with innovative non-mainstream transportation. I think my next endeavor will be a VTOL hybrid powered lighter then air vehicle. well at least untill some hick shoots me out of the sky cause they think i am going to abduct and perform probing experiments on them once again.
.cptr.

The bellow helmet is what i be rocking out here in good'ole Omaha, NE.. OI OI OI OI!!

Attachments

Jun 25, 2008
I agree industrial, considering the UK was once the home of the cyclemaster, raleigh run-about, and BSA it beggars belief how anal and PATHETIC this once proud nation now is. NO WONDER you chaps fought and died to dis-associate yourselves from it! RESPECT!

Think we MB'ers should rise up and revolt. Claim this island for ourselves and kick the killjoys over the white cliffs and into the english channel!!! HAHAHAHAHHA that was a pleasant thought...got me all 'fighty':crash:

Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE
I agree industrial, considering the UK was once the home of the cyclemaster, raleigh run-about, and BSA it beggars belief how anal and PATHETIC this once proud nation now is. NO WONDER you chaps fought and died to dis-associate yourselves from it! RESPECT!

Think we MB'ers should rise up and revolt. Claim this island for ourselves and kick the killjoys over the white cliffs and into the english channel!!! HAHAHAHAHHA that was a pleasant thought...got me all 'fighty':crash:
what about just the (motorcar owners) denying them their oyster cards, setting up APB's for whenever their ugly mugs show up on the citys CCD's, and if they complain escourt them to the beaches of france. I am sure the frenchmen wont mind having a few extra whiners around, you get enough of them together and you can make a bottle of wine..cptr.

dvddtz

Feb 15, 2009
Gulf Breeze, FL
this is a post I found on another forum

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was at the Clearwater, FL DMV on Friday for almost 2 hours.
I only waited for 15 minutes until appointed to from the lobby.
I was attempting to get a moped license plate. I had proof of a
32cc engine that had 1.6 HP and a top speed of 30 along with
a bill of sale. I wanted to see if I could pull it off. The lady himmed and hawwed trying to wrap her head around the photo of the bicycle with a motor on it.
She said it was not a moped. I told her to look up the definition on her computer.
320.01(28) "Moped" means:
ANY vehicle with pedals to permit propulsion by human power, having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels, with a motor rated not in excess of 2 brake horsepower and not capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed greater than 30 miles per hour on level ground, and with a power-drive system that functions directly or automatically without clutching or shifting gears by the operator after the drive system is engaged. If an internal combustion engine is used, the displacement may not exceed 50 cubic centimers.
So she said she would have to get the supervisor.
The supervisor said the same thing; "It's a bicycle....not a moped."
I told her of a friend who came into this very office with the same thing and got a plate.
He's posting on this thread: Kawasaki999
She said she'll have to call Tallahassee for clarification.
Tallahassee then transferred her to a B.F.O. DMV Officer to clarify. He spoke to me and her (was very nice)
He explained that this is nothing new and this path has been crossed before. He stated the head of the Florida DMV Department said that they will not be issuing plates and registration for motorized bicycles, they are not needed, and they will be treated as if they were a BICYCLE on the road... motor running or not.

There, ya have it.....
We have (motor assisted) Bicycles in Florida !!!!

Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a bill of sale. I wanted to see if I could pull it off. The lady himmed and hawwed trying to wrap her head around the photo of the bicycle with a motor on it.
She said it was not a moped. I told her to look up the definition on her computer.
ANY vehicle with pedals to permit propulsion by human power, having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels, with a motor rated not in excess of 2 brake horsepower and not capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed greater than 30 miles per hour on level ground, and with a power-drive system that functions directly or automatically without clutching or shifting gears by the operator after the drive system is engaged. If an internal combustion engine is used, the displacement may not exceed 50 cubic centimers.
I told her of a friend who came into this very office with the same thing and got a plate.
Tallahassee then transferred her to a B.F.O. DMV Officer to clarify. He spoke to me and her (was very nice)
He explained that this is nothing new and this path has been crossed before. He stated the head of the Florida DMV Department said that they will not be issuing plates and registration for motorized bicycles, they are not needed, and they will be treated as if they were a BICYCLE on the road... motor running or not.

There, ya have it.....

**** i get the same thing over hear in nebraska... everyone is giving me **** about not having plates
or possesing a class M (motor cycle endorcement) but by law these things a protected vehicle and are every bit street legal so long as you dont have more then 45cc engine, less the 2bhp and a automatic or single speed tranny. me thinks we may need to start pressing for more coverage and respect for motorized bicycles.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com

There, ya have it.....
DVD,

Brett Maverick did the same thing last week with the exact same result, (This is a good thing; at least they're being consistent). They called Tallahassee, talked the B.F.O. and sent him packing with a "have fun" verdict. We'll see how long it lasts, but for now MB's are free to roam in Florida. Kawasaki999, Brett, and I sat around the shop that afternoon trying to figure out what happened. The B.F.O. told Brett that they, (The D.M.V. folks), talked after Kawasaki999 left with his plate. They decided it wasn't necessary.

Jim

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
DVD,

Brett Maverick did the same thing last week with the exact same result, (This is a good thing; at least they're being consistent). They called Tallahassee, talked the B.F.O. and sent him packing with a "have fun" verdict. We'll see how long it lasts, but for now MB's are free to roam in Florida. Kawasaki999, Brett, and I sat around the shop that afternoon trying to figure out what happened. The B.F.O. told Brett that they, (The D.M.V. folks), talked after Kawasaki999 left with his plate. They decided it wasn't necessary.

Jim
\\

The thing you forgot to mention, was that, that had to do with registration... You still NEED at LEAST a Regular Class E license to ride a GAS powered Motorized bicycle.

junkyard

Jan 6, 2009
st.petersburg fla
\\

The thing you forgot to mention, was that, that had to do with registration... You still NEED at LEAST a Regular Class E license to ride a GAS powered Motorized bicycle.
brett went for a tag....they said he didnt need one

he never went to find out about needing a license

seeing as how he tried to explain to the DMV his MB was classified as a moped and was trying to get a tag for it i think he knew fully he would need a license to ride it

im pretty sure we're all in agreement that atleast in florida you need a DL to ride a MB

Last edited:

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
brett went for a tag....they said he didnt need one

he never went to find out about needing a license

seeing as how he tried to explain to the DMV his MB was classified as a moped and was trying to get a tag for it i think he knew fully he would need a license to ride it

im pretty sure we're all in agreement that atleast in florida you need a DL to ride a MB
You'd be surprised that many people don't think that. (Talking Florida Laws here...)
Well apparently a BUNCH of people (on myriad other sites) are trying to say that their motorized *gas* bicycle was STILL a bicycle and they don't need a DL to use it... LOL.

And they keep citing the fact that someone, somewhere couldn't get their gas motored bicycle tagged as a moped, so then it must be a bicycle...
Problem is, that if people think that, and they want to use a gas powered bicycle (moped) to get around without needing a license (Because they're like me and got it suspended) then they're going to be doing something illegal and if caught they will lose their license for even longer.

I want to make sure that people understand that in Florida, the SECOND you put a GAS motor on a bicycle, it becomes a MOPED, and even tho you they don't require it to have a Register / Tag for it for use on public roads as a Moped, you still need (at least a Class E) regular driver's license to operate it on a Public road.

I am talking from experience here... I've talked to MANY Laywers, Judges, State Legislatures, Police departments, DMV, BFO, Etc, etc.. and they all state what I have stated here.

My .02

Last edited:

rmeloy34

Mar 26, 2009
Wallyworld Conn.
So far in CT I havent had any problems(I hope I dont jinx myself) although here in Wallyworld the cops really like to see your lights in good order.we do have helmet laws if you are under 13 I believe ,
I remember last year when I first got it running,I was excpecting to at least have them question me but that paranoia has turned into a friendly wave.
as Long as you are riding like a sane human I cant see why most cops would bother you. I also got into this hobby out of necessity to get to work.
Id say RIDE ON MY SISTER!!usflg

marsrover

Mar 26, 2009
middle of nowhere
OK
dvddtz made a good point
i live in florida
but i doubt someone is gona come down a dirt road and pull me over
but the fact that dvddtz made that it is considered a bycycle the GREAT
i can go on "the paved road" without worying that the 5o's are gona come
thanks