Worksman Rear Drum brake Sprocket Interference?

GoldenMotor.com

KeithSeymour

Sep 23, 2013
Northern Virginia
Hey Guys,

I've sourced some Worksman Wheels and they have the front and rear drum brakes. It looks like from the pictures from the seller (on my local CL), it looks like the rear brake cable goes to the left side of the hub where the motorized bicycle sprocket would go. Just making sure I can still use these on my BTR tribute build with a 49cc 4 stroke kit. Any experience using the rear drum with motorized bicycles?

Keith

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
The Worksman rear drum has no provisions for a motor side (left) sprocket and the sprocket adapters will not work, either.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
If you want to use a rear drum brake, look for a complete moped hub on ebay or craigslist, ect that has sprockets on both sides. Have the hub laced up to a quality rim or do the lacing and truing yourself. Note: Most bicycle frames will need to be "stretched" a little to fit the width of a moped hub.

KeithSeymour

Sep 23, 2013
Northern Virginia
Sorry to resurrect this again but I'm really tempted to get these wheels because the guy is throwing in a almost complete newsboy and lowered the price $75! I see on sportsman flyer that Pat is using rear drum. Does he use a special adapter? I'm thinking it may be worth it to run a shift kit with these. Id love to keep the newsboy but it's the straight 20" that doesn't have a bend in the top tube. I don't think it looks good myself but could sell the frame to offset the cost even more. Thoughts?

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
My rear Sportsman drums are moped hubs that I was able to source from the OEM. They are 135mm spacing and have the bolt bosses for my split sprockets. A Worksman is 110mm through the dropout so my hubs are too wide for a Worksman. The Worksman drum has not provisions for the motor side sprocket.