To tie or not to tie?

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Tied & soldered spokes used to be a somewhat common practice, but even then it was a hotly debated subject as to whether it provided any benefit at all;

http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/tied-soldered.html

I would suggest that with modern wheel technology (more uniform spokes, stiffer double wall rims) any advantage it might have provided is negated, leaving only the difficulties of trying to tune/maintain a soldered & tied spoke...

In spite of the inability to prove a measurable, significant advantage - some wheel builders still swear by it, including the one I trust to build my custom wheelsets. While I decline his offer to solder & tie - I will admit if properly done, it adds a nice aesthetic touch to a build, particularly a vintage one.

Here's a link to a nice, simple tut if you're interested;

http://www.urbanvelo.org/issue11/urbanvelo11_p70-71.html

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Back in the old days I used to tie my spokes with stainless steel wire to stiffen the wheels for desert racing and Baja.

Solder them......never! Seriously why would you even think of soldering them, you could never true the wheel if you did that. You may as well solder or loctite the spoke nipples as well, you won't be able to re-build or true it again.

Zip ties will do the trick on bicycle spokes and can easily be removed if neccesary.

Solder......reeeeaaally?

Last edited:

Mannhouse51

Jun 2, 2011
West Michigan
I just never know what I might learn. LOL I've never even heard of tying and soldering spokes...but I read that article and that's pretty cool. A nice old school touch.

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
Yeah, I learned this here a while back elsewhere. I personally conclude that tying is good and soldering is bad.

I just never know what I might learn. LOL I've never even heard of tying and soldering spokes...but I read that article and that's pretty cool. A nice old school touch.

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The question would be then, if tying and soldering provided so little improvement that there was no marked reduction in deflection - is there any point in tying alone?

Just for the sake of discussion, the solder is removable for tuning & repair via heat - tedious perhaps, but no more so than soldering in the first place.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I've had dirtbikes that had the rear spokes tie-wrapped... Never went to the trouble of actually doing it myself.
I DO recall tightening up loose spokes on wheels that had the ties installed..

I don't know they accomplish much...

Best
rc

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
I personally think that tying alone will allow for some slippage when tightening or when they loosen, while still holding onto the counter spoke for added strength and sway prevention when bucking of spoke is tested. jmo and probably flawed somehow.. lol

is there any point in tying alone?