Ventura Cali Crackin Down

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
My understanding is if you are caught here in British Columbia the max fine is $5,000 and 2 years in jail. The charge is using a unlicenced, uninsured, unregistered motor vehicle.
Makes a few bucks and a little time pretty cheap in my books and anybody who doesn't do it gets what they asked for.

Steve.

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
how can a city inforce a vc that I don't have access to? I've heard" ignorance is no excuse from the law" Can anyone show me the vc on a website and not just a newspaper article ?
Here is the vehicle code table of contents:

2009 Vehicle Code General Provisions and Divisions 1 - 18 Table of Contents

A few of the applicable sections:

V.C. Section 406 - Motorized Bicycle

V.C. Section 5035 - Special License Plate: Display, Transfer, and Destruction

V.C. Section 12804.9 - Examination and Driving Test: Classifications

V.C. Section 24015 - Motorized Bicycle: Safety and Equipment Requirements

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
To get a M1 license, you also have to take a riding test (on a MC, not a scooter or MB)
I think M2 is just a writen test???

Last edited:

rockvoice

Apr 6, 2009
glendale california
the dmv i went to said they are one in the same, i took the m1 written test and it says on my permit for operation of a motorcycle or "motorized bicycle"

Attachments

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
To get a M1 license, you also have to take a riding test (on a MC, not a scooter or MB)
I think M2 is just a writen test???
From the California DMV web site:

To apply for your motorcycle Class M1 or M2 license, you must do one of the following:

If you are under 21, you must complete a motorcycle rider training course given by the California Highway Patrol (CHP) and provide a certificate of Completion of Motorcycle Training (DL 389) to DMV to be issued your license. You will not be required to take the motorcycle driving test at DMV if you currently have a California Drivers License.

If you are over 21, you may either choose to complete the course by CHP and provide the certificate OR schedule an Appointment(s) at DMV to take the driving test. (You may also call 1-800-777-0133 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday-Friday, to make a driving test appointment.) You have three chances to pass the test.

rockvoice

Apr 6, 2009
glendale california
thats exactly it........ i did it that way so i have a year to ride (or just have the permit as a backup in case of getting hassled by the fuzz) then when the permit expires take the written again in a year.
the permit just says u cant ride at night

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
thats exactly it........ i did it that way so i have a year to ride (or just have the permit as a backup in case of getting hassled by the fuzz) then when the permit expires take the written again in a year.
the permit just says u cant ride at night

DAMMIT... i was gonna use your little trick to get my girl her M2, but we do a lot of night riding, so that won't work! :(

rockvoice

Apr 6, 2009
glendale california
i'd still have her get it, its cheap insurance for only 28 bucks even for a back-up during the day.
just have her study , you can take the test 3 times or pay another 28.
I tookit without studying and flunked it twice in the same day, so i took the handbook home and took it the next morning and passed. i think you have to 10 out of 17 questions

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
California well and truly sucks.....here in Florida the cops ( 99% ) love us.....I don't understand how Cali works......my two cents....

Sighs,
Salty.shft.
You are right about California. The rules and laws for motorbikes are way too complicated. But once you figure them out, the motorbike rules actually work fairly well.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
You are right about California. The rules and laws for motorbikes are way too complicated. But once you figure them out, the motorbike rules actually work fairly well.
In Florida....there's no need for a license.....registration....insurance....nor helmet.....ride our bikes anywhere except a sidewalk.....

Salty.shft.

rcflier500

Nov 15, 2009
Upland, Ca
Im not sure if this has been touched on, though it probably has. There are a lot of people talking about registration and how one book says you dont need it but others do. From reading both sources it seems as though when the DMV says an MB is exempt from registration it means yearly registration. We still have to registered it for a permanent plate. Also, the ventura policeman is wrong about the bike lane issue. It specifically says in the code that we can ride in a bike lane if it is adjacent to a roadway, though i think that was covered on the first page.

Thanks just my 2 cents :)

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Im not sure if this has been touched on, though it probably has. There are a lot of people talking about registration and how one book says you dont need it but others do. From reading both sources it seems as though when the DMV says an MB is exempt from registration it means yearly registration. We still have to registered it for a permanent plate. Also, the ventura policeman is wrong about the bike lane issue. It specifically says in the code that we can ride in a bike lane if it is adjacent to a roadway, though i think that was covered on the first page.

Thanks just my 2 cents :)

it's SO much more simple in Florida.....why is it some states feel the need to complicate things ?.....a bicycle has pedals.....so does a motorized bicycle....they're both bicycles....so....WTF ?

Laters,
Salty.shft.

rcflier500

Nov 15, 2009
Upland, Ca
Haha, I understand the need for there to be a different regulation for these since they are faster than a regular bicycle over distance and slower than cars they are kind of in between. But to require all these things is a little ridiculous.

Last edited:

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Haha, I understand the need for there to be a different regulation for these since they are faster than a regular bicycle over distance and slower than cars they are kind of in between. But to require all these things is a little ridiculous. What about the engines not being CARB approved in the first place?
Here we go again......2700 miles separates Florida and California.....it also represents brain distance....guess who comes first ?.....I know that the *new* exhaust and muffler is *EPA* approved....

Frowns,
Salty.shft.