Bicycle Brakes

GoldenMotor.com

AnthonyX99

Oct 13, 2009
Winnipeg
Does anybody know if Cantilever brakes are good enough for MB I found a cruiser bike for 100 dollars but it has Cantilever brakes I could get a new one with v-brakes for about 100 more and rides lower doesanyone have any issues with older brakes??

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The canti brakes should be fine - invest a coupla bucks in good brake pads (true with any brake design btw) and yer golden ;) Just make sure you have front brakes at least lol

Having said that - if you can easily afford it get the slightly better bike. While many build on the $100 and less el'cheapos with great success, it doesn't hurt to have slightly better equipment. Of course you can always upgrade things too.

When I was shoppin' for cheap bikes, I looked at the $100 - $200 range and I noticed that the $200 ones were often better built and with nicer equipment, so I sprung the "big bucks" for the $200 cheapo...

*shrug* your call - you'll love it no matter what bike ya get lol

Come to think on it - have you looked for a quality used bike in that range? You might score an awesome one for the money.

AnthonyX99

Oct 13, 2009
Winnipeg
I'm bent on getting a cruiser for my next build couldn't find any except that one cruizer bike not sure what brand it is but it had old style brakes. The other one is a supercycle san pedro has good reviews so I might just get that one since it rains a lot in my city.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
To me the linear V brakes are the cats meow and theyre easy to adjust. You can upgrade to them for 10$ a wheel at niagra but from what I read you need to be careful with the lever because of the lever travel distance required is different for linear and cantilever. I recently bought a used bike with center pull brakes on it and its weird theres no adjustment possible in the cable at all, only in the pad distance from the wheel or up n down positioning on the pads. The front brake is solid but the rear is so spongy it sucks for stopping power. Theres not even a barrel adjuster on the levers for the cables. I would avoid these brakes like the plague.