!! ITS THE POPE !! Ya: He swings both ways...

GoldenMotor.com

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Here is where the "swings both ways" comes in. The BTR configuration is a torture rack. NOT KIDDING. ITs fun but the couple between bar grips and saddle it too short and while fun to go tearing around the neighborhood; anything more than 2-3 miles leaves me all crippled up. SO! Back come the tiller bars and a nice sprung Brooks saddle! The hard bit of swapping over is the cable routing and throttle cable hook up. Cant get my fat fingers in there to do the job properly so I have to use hemostats, needle nose pliers and lots O curse words. Takes about 2 hours. BUT its WAY more comfortable and still has that old timey twang :) Carbide lamp restored and converted to 12v battery in the bag and a LED lamp. Different but still vintage kill switch and coke bottle grips. Nice and comfy for longer rides and more relaxed. I dont feel I have to go WOT all the time with this setup. One clevis pin pulled and the saddle and seat post come out!

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Nightster

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
I have a VERY cool carbide tail light coming from British Columbia ( shoulda been here by now ) that I THINK I can make work with a tiny LED flashlight I have. Will post pics one I have it in hand.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Yha! Little Sick today but other wise Very! Very! busy gotta get some work in on mine Then I have another Build to get started.
Hey that head lamp is looking real cool! too

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Thanks IWW ! Wait till you get a load of the tail light. FINALLY arrived and its cool but needs some work; which Im doing today. I have the paint stripped off of it and and the brass polished. Now need to mask and repaint.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Time for some tail light pics! I got this off the "Bay" from British Columbia. Carbide headlights are easy but tail lights you dont have much choice in. I was lucky to find this one as its the perfect size and style I was hoping for. Needed some work though. The side lense; apparently for illuminating the license plate was missing. I didnt really want clear so I cut a piece of non marbeled blood red stained glass I had and ground / polished to fit then crimped it in. I also using dremel abrasive wheel and scrubbie removed the paint and scratches from the brass.

Attachments

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
I originally planed to use a LED and switch and battery and .... To light the thing Would have had to make a mount ( vibration proof ) and wasnt looking forward to the job. I found this neat little light at an Auto Zone and decided to use it. bout $11. I was planing on a big 12v Li-ion in a leather bag to power it but then I got to looking at the demo power battery and discovered that with a little work it would be usable as is. I try REALLY HARD to not ride after dark in this town. Dangerous enough during the day. so I wouldnt be using it for long and this looked like enough endurance to me. HOWEVER: On going to the local ACE hardware to get a toggle switch, I discovered THIS >>>

Attachments

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Its a "Headlight" fur wearing on your head. It looked to be the perfect size and is self contained. Mabey even water resistant. So I took a chance and got one. 55 lumens and 3 AAA bats which were included :) It took some shaving of the plastic but it fits!! And works GREAT! I still need some padding / styrofoam ect to keep it secure in the lamp but its certainly bright enough and push button on and off. The lamp red glass is a bit thin and with this much light coming through it washed out to pink... Couldnt have that, SO I cut another piece of red glass and superglue'd it in place

Attachments

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
As you can probably see I need to re think my mounting for the lamp. If the door opens by itself while riding first stop is the spokes :-|| Looks good but deadly.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Damnn Brotha I have one of those little lights a little beat up but I'm sure with some black paint it will come out pretty decent,
Our mutual (not so cool) acquaintance gave it to me a couple yrs. back got a solar head light that don't work either could possibly be fitted with an L.E.D. ?

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Quite right IWW. Just did a quick search on eBay for "carbide tail light " and came up empty. Usually I'll get a hit of some sort, usually something I wouldnt want or be able to use, and often from the UK but today NOTHING

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
I've seen a vender at swap meets that makes cast aluminum brass era re-pops... Along with dozens of other replica parts for various brands, I don't recall his companies name but I bet he has a site.

-Kirk

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Thanks for the offer truckd but Im done with antiquie lamps for now. The FM build wont be getting any lights at all, and if I ever get around the the Phantom frame build, Its going another direction.