My ride ....... "80cc" BMX

GoldenMotor.com

Danjr1

Sep 20, 2008
here's the pic of my nearly finished bike. just gotta sort out the chain and sprocket properly, remount the fuel tank so the outlet is the lowest point and to paint over the red oxide paint! then the fun of riding it!dance1

Attachments

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Yeah I'd be a little worried about taking out that top tube completely. I would try to add something maybe two smaller tubes that you can bend around the motor on each side?

That down tube is not going to support the rest of the frame all by itself. Eventually there is going to be failure there.

.duh.

Last edited:

Danjr1

Sep 20, 2008
Yeah I had to cut it to get the engine in. It's good quality (haro) trail bike so it's a tough frame with good welds so I'm hoping it holds out. It won't b going off road so fingers crossed. I may strengthen the down tube in future

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
I'm afraid that with one good bump that thing will fold in half! The down tube alone just isn't strong enough. If they could build them without a top tube they would to save cost!

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Haro, Fit..... it dont matter that thing is dangerous!!

We do not want to see ya get hurt, I think you need to make some changes there buddy.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Yes, but that down tube is a lot stronger than yours, and quite honestly I still wouldn't trust it! There are reasons those frames are made the way they are.

noobtard

Apr 25, 2009
PA
you Definitely need more support on there.... looks like you can weld fine.. as fairracing said.. I'd weld something from the top tube.. around the motor on each side...

Danjr1

Sep 20, 2008
making the chain clear the frame is still the biggest problem im having. got it mostly sorted now but its still tight. hoping that going to the smaller sprocket might make things a little easier

Danjr1

Sep 20, 2008
just to let you all know, ive had to can the project. the frame was never the problem, getting the chain tensioned without it rubbing was the problem. also gettin a 44 tooth sprocket to clamp on the hub was tough and was always coming loose as i couldnt get more than 3 of the bolts in. gone for an easy mountain bike instead!

80cc haro

Nov 24, 2009
Glen Burine
whats going on man. i did the same thing to my haro 540 air about 5 months ago. Be carefull!! that frame will break. lol i busted my asssss tryin to start it the first time cause it broke. I had a steal bar welded inside the tube n a heavy duty weld. ITheld up ever sence no problems. plus i like how you did the tank