Heavy Duty Axle Kit

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Just buy a different flange to fit your desired sprocket pattern?
There are 2 types of sprocket flanges for these hub....1.) 6 hole non-freewheel flange..........2.) 5 hole freewheel flange.

I am looking for a 6 hole non-freewheel flange or the hub with the 6 hole flange......that's all.

These flanges don't fit the sprockets I use.....I make them fit however.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Here are a few pics of both the non-freewheel 6-bolt.......and the freewheel 5-bolt (welded not to freewheel).

The 6-bolt non-freewheel flange:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The 5-bolt freewheel flange (welded not to freewheel):

Get the picture?

pak39

Dec 5, 2013
San Marcos, Texas
I don't see what the problem is, these hubs are as simple as can be. Of course I chunked the band brake, its a piece of crap. But if you replace the cheap chinese bearings with ceramic ones, and then order a custom sprocket from Blow By U(optional, the sprockets that come with it are decent), then these hubs are good to go for 200+ miles a day. For $50 that's not bad. I still wish Grubee would consider reversing the outrer left hand threads, that way a disc brake adapter could be used, the band brake just sucks ass. You can use the lock ring on the sprocket and just toss the entire brake out, worked for me. If you look at the cost of buying all the parts separate, you'd never get close to what they are offering in the package. If you aren't mechanically inclined, better to just buy the whole wheel assembled from bicycleengines.com or Spookytooth.
Hey Tad Bit Tipsy, what kind of ceramic bearings did you use? I ended up spinning the bearing cup in my hub and I have it rigged for now so I'm trying to find a solution. Also the threads, at least on mine, are right hand thread, so you can get a disc brake rotor and screw it on. That's what I did.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I finally got the stripped thread problem fixed for good. I drilled two holes opposite of each other on the flange with matching holes drilled into the hub which I tapped threads into.

Bolted the flange to the hub using lots of loctite on all threaded surfaces and then bolted the sprocket onto the flange using stainless bolts with stainless nylock nuts. Done deal.

Bolts into the flange....

and into the hub....

and that's how ya do it....

pak39

Dec 5, 2013
San Marcos, Texas
That's a good idea with the bolts, I've considered adding a keyway somehow but it may be too difficult. I might have to do something similar to that in the future but for now I have locktite on the sprocket hub and the retaining nut just so it doesn't loosen during jump starts.

CoolCruiser

Jun 15, 2012
Massachusetts
Scott why do you use a non freewheel setup for this hub with a pull start 4 stroke engine? Does not matter since you never pedal the bike? I've been thinking about using this hub with my 99cc since it seems to be the only option that attaches directly to a hub rather than sprocket adapters that go through the spokes and clamp onto a hub.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Scott why do you use a non freewheel setup for this hub with a pull start 4 stroke engine? Does not matter since you never pedal the bike? I've been thinking about using this hub with my 99cc since it seems to be the only option that attaches directly to a hub rather than sprocket adapters that go through the spokes and clamp onto a hub.
Though the transfer case has a Cent clutch so it will freewheel there, the advantage or disadvantage deepening on your point of is.

A freewheel on your sprocket is a part that can fail with big power but with good brakes cool to coast freewheel at no throttle.

A fixed is stronger and though not much it will provide a bit of drag braking through the drive train to the Cent clutch bell but most transfer case output drives have freewheels so no need for one unless you defeat that as well to get no freewheel at all.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Good question CC. The main reason is I like the braking the 4-stroke gives when you let off the throttle. If you have the freewheel it goes into a coast which is not desirable for the way I ride or race. It is not necessary with the type tranny I use and is just another unnecessary part that can fail in a drivetrain.

The clutches I use don't have clutch bells, they use discs.

I hope you see where I'm coming from.....it's one of the benefits of the four stroke. ;)

dnut

Last edited: