Getting tired of trying

GoldenMotor.com

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Don't know how to get that evil style of clip in to this day with cryogenics maybe ? All I can say is I feel yer pain dude.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
To insert the wire wrist pin clip use needle nose pliers inset the clip with a twisting motion maybe Ilikeabikea and I can do a video for ya? They can be a pain especially when they take off to who knows where as they fly out and not go in place.
I sweep the floor first and keep the floor clean when I'm working on an engine makes it easier to find the parts that like to go flying. Cover up the crankcase with rags to keep those kind of parts from going down inside of the engine. I think I show that on the tear down and rebuild post.
Norman

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
So now that I finally have everything needed to rebuild the top end, I know that there was more that one factor that burt out my engine. Here it is, hopefully this will prevent someone else from making these mistakes!

I was using the a plug (NGK BPR6HS)with a lead that went further into the head and it was taping very slightly on the head, the head has a scratch on the top. This cased the the jug top to be slightly loose all the time and moved the top gasket off center.

So the head was interacting with the gasket too.

When I got my kit the carburetor was missing a tab but I had never seen on before and did not realize that this was the case, at that time I did not have a intake manifold that went off to the side.
This meant that the carburetor fit tightly (I took the filter off to install it, but put the filter back on after insulation)

So I did not notice that I had a vapor leak When I did it was probably too late the piston was scored
Yes I was checking my plug often, but this was with the break in mixture and everything looked fine.

So the rings eventfully moved off the locator pins as well and snaged on the ports and voila total burn out

Funny thing is that I did over 1800 hundred miles before it went kaput.

Warning to all do not use a plug with a longer lead (NGK BPR6HS) you will not feel compression loss with this plug! And it my Tap the top of the piston Slighly
Yes when i started I was Farly new to these types of engines but I have been told that I am very handy,
And I did work on ice racers when I was young but that was with my friends brother who was a mechanic.

So while I do consider myself a nub with these engines in some respects, I consider the entire thing an great learning process!

Hopefully I will be able to bring her back to life this weekend

Thanks for all the help!

zpt