Another maiden voyage cut short...

GoldenMotor.com

GasX

Oct 7, 2011
Florida
On my first bike, a four cylinder, I rode it 100 yards before the clutch disintegrated. With a new clutch installed, it worked great until I sold it.

Today I finally finished my first 2 cylinder. I pedaled down the road, popped the clutch and rode a few hundred yards before it cut out. Though it might be the frugal amount of gas I had started with, but there was plenty left. Anyway, I quickly figured out that at this point, the engine is not turning over when the clutch is let out - hence the no start. I can open the cover and turn the engine with the supplied spark plug tool, but turning the wheel does not do it.

Did something break or do I have to adjust something to get back on the road?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Sorry, I disagree with the premise of that video. You should not have to "adjust the clutch" if the pads are stuck in a new engine. Usually all it takes it to roll the bike forward, clutch disengaged and the friction pads will break loose. You can also use a soft head hammer and give the clutch a firm hit.

The OP's problem seems to be a slipping clutch. The most common cause of this is an improperly adjusted clutch cable. Too tight.
Oil/grease on the clutch friction pads can also cause clutch slippage.

Just to clarify for the OP. I believe he means 4 CYCLE and 2 CYCLE engines. Not 2 and 4 cylinder. 2 Stroke, and 4 stroke, are other ways of describing the types of engines.

Tom

GasX

Oct 7, 2011
Florida
Yes, 2Door, I meant 2 stroke.

Thanks for the advice - the clutch cable was over tensioned. Now I have to move on to the next issue lol

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Glad we got over that little hurdle. We're always here to offer any help we can, GasX. Just ask and we'll do what we can. Good luck.

Tom

GasX

Oct 7, 2011
Florida
So I retensioned the cable and all was well. I think the set screw on the flower nut is not doing its job because I had to go back and retighten the flower nut...

So, I get it back up and running and after about 200 yards, it cuts out and now I can't get it to even try and fire up. Definitely have gas. Is this likely a spark issue?