4 Stroke Pros and Cons

GoldenMotor.com

Hi5

Jun 2, 2009
San Jose
Looking to build a another bike but I'm deciding if I should give a 4 stroke motor a try. I know they are about $200 more but to all you 4 Stroke Vets, is it worth it? If so, what motor? I'm leaning towards the Honda motor simply because.....ITS A HONDA. Even they're lawn mowers are effecient. So.....

Lets hear some pros and cons about the motor or any 4 Stroke motor in general. A 1000 thank yous to everyone who can help out.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Hi5. Calvin has a HS he is selling. (will get link and put it at the end) Just my experience and this is a hotly debated issue. I can not say enough good about my Honda. Starts most times on first pull and cruses at around 32 MPH. 35 top, when it is hot but starts to vibe. (all stock) 175 MPG and really like the pulling up to the pump thing. I much prefer the sound of the 4 stroke at 30 MPH to the 2 strokes cruising at 25. (big time personal thing there) Unless the Honda is in need of maintenance or work, she is the one I am ridding that day.

Down sides are it is larger and heavier. I always found them ugly on a bike until I grew to know them. The power, speed, mileage and dependability. You really do notice the size and weight if you lift or carry your bike. My best advice would be find some one close who has one and ride her. See how you feel about em. (Kinda becoming a pet peeve of mine but lots of strong opinions on 'em from folks who do not own one)

Not in any way saying I do not throughly enjoy and love my ChinaGurl, I do.

Calvin's kit for sale.
http://motorbicycling.com/f23/skyhawk-stage-ii-sale-4447.html

But to answer your question, I say yes, big time worth it. Also, now bicycle-engines.com has complete Honda kits.

Really hope that helps. Any questions, fire away.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I should say I have only just broken in the Honda and am a new owner of only a few months. It really is my favorite build so far though.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I own a HS (EZM kit) and it has been very dependable
the only adjustment I have made was setting up the idle on first start-up
I believe that between the better mileage (approx 200mpg), and longer life of the engine, it will pay for the difference in 1-2 yrs (I do approx 4000miles/year)

not mixing oil is an added bonus as well !!!

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Hi Dan, (looking In The Sky, May See "Happy" Flying By) I Think Pensacola Is On The List. What Cc Is Your Honda. I Have 3 Honda 31cc 4 Strokes Off Roto Tillers. 2 Have Low Compression, Hope Rings Will Fix Them. I Runs Good. I Put It On A Friction Drive Last Month, Very Low Power Compared To 49cc Of Course. I Just Received 2 New 4 Strokes From Dax. They Start And Run Nice. Hope To Have One Going On My Stretch Tomorrow. Ron .cvlt1 PS I think Jim`s engines would have been the answer for the 2 strokes and they do look the best.

Last edited:

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
I have a chinagirl and a Honda 35cc scrubber and I find that I use the Honda a lot more. I find that you stay cleaner and the bike is very light. I still get looks but the sound is much more mellow. About the only thing I don't like is the fact that the Honda only holds about three ounces of oil in the crankcase but it,s just a matter of lifting the front of the bike up to drain it. I change the oil ever week or so. It's not as fast or powerful as the 80cc with SBP shifter kit but very close. My biggest beef is having to fill up the tank two or three times per day on the Honda. I'd go with the Honda if I were you. It's also easier to hide the engine. I had an old LCBO plastic bin that you use to shop while in the Liquor store and installed it around my engine by cutting the bottom out. If you look at my bike it looks like I have a rear carrier sort of like the guys with the milk crates behind the seat.

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
Is there any 4-stroke kit bigger than 49cc?
Someone wants to buy my bike, so I'm thinking about building a 4-stroke for myself. But I just got out of break-in (300mi of PAINFULLY slow riding....) on my '80cc' china kit. Switched to 30:1 ratio, and driving it like I stole it. I think I'd miss the speed on a 49cc 4-stroke.

OzzyU812

May 15, 2008
"the bog" NH
Someone wants to buy my bike, so I'm thinking about building a 4-stroke for myself. But I just got out of break-in (300mi of PAINFULLY slow riding....) on my '80cc' china kit. Switched to 30:1 ratio, and driving it like I stole it. I think I'd miss the speed on a 49cc 4-stroke.

WOW I'm impressed if followed the 300mi break-in!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I have never seen anything larger then a 50 for a 4 smoke kit Chrisme. Would be huge and very cool. I stare at this add a lot; - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices though that much power would get me in trouble for sure. My stock 50cc 4 stroke is faster then any of my stock "80cc" 2 strokes.
dnut

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I just bought one of the harbor freight motors about two weeks ago. I also purchased one of the cheap cvt's. Turns out the output rotates backwards because of gear reduction. Now I'm chopping up the hoot gearbox to adapt to the cvt and see what I can make happen.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Civil, Can You Post A Pic Of The Cvt. Mine Bolt Rite Up To Only The Dax Titan. Dan, The Titan 4 Stroke Turns 7000 Rpm. If You Turn The H Frieght 3600, Will They Last Very Long?? Dan - Glad To Hear Your 4 Stroke Is As Fast As Your 80cc. Dvddtz Is On His Way Over, I Have To Run. Later... Ron.........cvlt1

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Ron, I was thinking it would be easier as it would only need half the gear reduction. No idea about HF engine longevity. Would the slower RPMs have an effect?

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
I Think Most Lawn Mowers Etc, They Have The Rpm (govener) Set So Slow That They Last A Long Time. And They Are Heavy. I Have Thought About Them. But These Little Motors Are So Light And Compact And Nice To Work With. And I Think They Are Designed For What We Are Doing. All Things Considered, The Prices Are Not Bad. But The Parts Cost Does Add Up. I Do Not Know What Is Best. Ron

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
This is the cvt I purchased from monster scooter parts. There is a reduction gear from the pulley output shaft to the sprocket shaft that makes the sprocket turn opposite from what I need. Not too big of a problem though. I enjoy modifying stuff.

Attachments

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Oh yeah! I forgot to tell you guys that the bolt pattern around the output shaft of the HF engine is different from the HS engine. It is actually smaller, tighter spacing. Long shaft also. It is definately not a quick bolt on. Of course the base mount holes are different also. FYI

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Like most things in life there are tradeoffs and engine choice on Mbs is no exception.
Depends on what's important to you. For me the greatest advent in the MB world has been the micro 4 stroke industrial engines made by Honda and Robin Subaru. I've settled on the Robin 35cc as my optimum choice for power-to-weight ratio, quiet exhaust note and great reliability.

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Civil, That Is The Same Cvt I Am Using. It Bolts Right On To My Dax Titan 4 Stroke. Dvddtz And I Have The Build Mostly Done. Waiting For Some Small Parts. Yes, It Also Bolts To All The Pocket Bike And Scooter Motors, Except The 25cc. And Bolts To The Small Honda, 31cc & 35cc, Robin, Mitsibushi, And All Motors With 78mm Clutch. Lots Of Options. RON . .. ..cvlt1