??Board for Ratty Rides AKA Rat Rods??

GoldenMotor.com

Youngbird

Vendor
Dec 2, 2008
Longneck, DE
Yall can do what you want, but IMHO, the "Brando" stuff and the "Orville/Wilbur" stuff doesnt belong in the same chapter, let alone the same page.Rats where its at! Just sayin'..shft.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Personally I love the 'Rat Rod' look. It brings back memories of what hot rods were really like when I was a kid. If there was a seperate section for them it wouldn't offend me one bit but that's a decision better left to the administration, not me. I might agree that they don't belong with the boardtrackers, just not the same genre. There is a forum strictly devoted to Rat Rod bikes and I visit there often to see what they have been up to. I'll admit that some of their builds blow me away. They even feature a few motorized versions on occasion. We might attract a few of them our way. I don't think it would hurt to get a consensus on this. I'm not sure how many Ratters there are out there. But, that's just my opinion. No offence, Fairracing.
Tom

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Oh I am offended buddy big time laff (you know I am just kidding right? ;))

I thought having one forum for... Board Trackers, Vintage and Rat Rod motorized bicycles would have been more appropriate then adding another forum. Less work for our hard working administrators.
At the time that was suggested was right after we added the Board Trackers and Vintage Motorized Bicycles forum.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I think it's cool idea to give the rat rods their own section!! 'Rat Rod' is a very different group than anything else!

My 'build off' bike was built in the 'rat rod' style, (with a lowrider flavor!!) ;)

skipu

Aug 6, 2008
New jersey
i love them both but they do differ enough, it is what it is ya know i have a rat rod and dreaming up a board tracker as i type i have 3 new motors just waitin for a fixie my mountain bike is taking forever non conventional frame so i want to move on while im waitin for the ideas to pour in but i love the rat rods .wee.

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
Re-organize proposal.
It would be nice to keep the "motorized bicycle" block and have it include:

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion
Paint Booth & Chop Shop
Motor Bicycle Safety
Pre-Motorized Bicycle Information

Created "Style Specific" heading or block and group these as follows:

Board Trackers and Vintage Motorized Bicycles
*Contemporary, Conventional Motorized Bicycles
*DIY Home Built Motorized Bicycle (non kit) (moved from "bicycle Motor" forum)
Electric Motorized Bicycles (name slightly modified)
*Rat Rod and Custom Motorized Bicycles
Whizzer Motorized Bicycles

I'm not trying to make work for anybody but organizationally I think this might work nicely and suit the current various factions. Also it would be handy for members who prefer to catch up on their particular build interest. Just my thoughts. Best to all.

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Oh where does it end tho?

I don' wanna have my '43 lumped in w/those pregnant lookin' boardtrackers (jk, I'm flattered actually lol), DYI can be electric or an internal combustion or even external (crazed pulsejet guys), "custom" doesn't need be a "rat rod", you forgot choppers, I really don't think there's much "conventional" about any motorized bike - and it goes on and on...

Ya see, I'm not actually in disagreement - it's not that unreasonable a thought, the problem as I see it is as soon as you start seriously considering subdivisions it gets exponentially harder and harder to deal with. Each and every MB built is unique, many don't fit a classification (or the same classification as the owner views it) and while it would be in some ways nice to have specific sub-forums for each and every type of bike conceivable - ya gotta draw the line somewhere.

I'm not against rat rods or additions/alterations made to the sub headings, I'm just pointing out it's the tip of the iceberg. So far we've been going under the general assumption that if people wish - they can create their own thread for such things in whatever forum they want.

Just my 2¢ ;)

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
I understand and actually agree in many respects. Thank you for the interest in the proposal. It is a good thing to hash out ideas. I can get by just fine with things as they are. I just thought I would throw it out there as food for thought.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm easy and will go with the flow. And I agree with Barely when he says, "Where will it end? We could have categories and sub-categories comin' out our ears if we selectively seperate every style, type, configuration, etc, etc. Then you have the builder's interpretation of what he has constructed. What do you do with the borderline bikes? Those that don't quite fit the guidelines of the breed. Maybe we should adhere to BikeGuy Joe's credo. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." That being said I can't see where it would hurt to simply add 'Rat Rods' to the 'Board Tracker' section. It would be just a name change to that heading and let the members post what they want in that area. Just my three cents worth.
Tom

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
There exists an entire web site dedicated to ratrodbikes. Perhaps we could provide forum dedicated to them.