Trying to remove clutch when threads are bad

GoldenMotor.com

haoleboy

Feb 17, 2012
Redding, CA
I have a F-80 2 stroke from Dax, and I am trying to remove my clutch. The first threads on the clutch are not sharp, and will not take the tool that is used to remove the clutch. The clutch is ruined, and apart, and the little ball bearings are gone, so all I have is the clutch plate itself. Since I cannot thread the tool into the clutch plate, can anyone help me get this stupid thing off???
Thank you for reading this!
Dave

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Wow. Thats a BIG problem. You really need the puller for this gear since you can't get a puller behind the plate. Try carefully cleaning the threads with a sharp point and see if you can possibly get the puller threads started....it should come off fairly easy if you can get it started. It's the drive sprocket that is usually the hard one to remove.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
No idea, sorry. Try the search box or ask in general discussion for more people to answer...

haoleboy

Feb 17, 2012
Redding, CA
Maniac;
Thank you very much for your reply. I could not get the clutch out, showed the machinist what I needed to do, he would probably spend 1 maybe 2 hours on it re-tapping the threads, at $70.00 per hour. I decided to take it off the bike and get a 4 stroke. I am still investigating on buying the 5G from Bike Berry or talking to Dax about theirs. I'll let you know how it goes.
Many thanks for reading this.
Dave

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Maniac;
Thank you very much for your reply. I could not get the clutch out, showed the machinist what I needed to do, he would probably spend 1 maybe 2 hours on it re-tapping the threads, at $70.00 per hour. I decided to take it off the bike and get a 4 stroke. I am still investigating on buying the 5G from Bike Berry or talking to Dax about theirs. I'll let you know how it goes.
Many thanks for reading this.
Dave
I'm sorry to hear you are giving up on her, but chinadolls are just not for everyone.
Get a good four stroke kit and you might have much better luck. The engine quality is much MUCH better on the china fourstrokes.
A chinadoll requires a certain enthusiasm to do well, which leads to experience. But it can be a very frustrating process to learn her needs.

For the bolt it on and go rider, a four stroke is probably a better choice for reliability.

P.S. The machinist had no choice but to charge his hourly rate since those threads require a real machinist to do right. You SHOULD have asked him how much to remove it! A new plate is cheap.
Any competent machinist would have it off in about 30 seconds. Might even have done it for free if you asked nice....

Last edited:

haoleboy

Feb 17, 2012
Redding, CA
Thank you for your words of wisdom. Even though it would have cost money to re-do the threads and remove the plate, I decided to not spend another penny on this motor. This one motor has been nothing but grief. One problem after another, and I was tired of. It all started with the drive gear key disintegrating and wearing the shaft out of round, so I had to get a bottom end. The bottom end was not the right one because the stroke of the piston was to long. So I had to send the whole motor back to make sure it was right. then the chain was worn so badly, and I had to replace the chain and sprocket. Then I had to buy a second chain because the first chain was not the right length. then the clutch was over tightened when I got the motor, and I did not know it until it was too late. Then the clutch comes apart, ball bearings and all. I just wasn't going to put another penny into it.
I have ordered from Bike Berry a 5G 4 stroke, and it has been shipped already. I just ordered it this AM!!!! I hope I have made a decent choice.
Thank you for reading this. Dave

haoleboy

Feb 17, 2012
Redding, CA
The new motor, the G5 from Bike Berry has finally been installed. It is really running well, and I am really enjoying it. I'll change the oil at close to a 100 miles, and keep on biking!!

Thanks for reading this!!

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
The new motor, the G5 from Bike Berry has finally been installed. It is really running well, and I am really enjoying it. I'll change the oil at close to a 100 miles, and keep on biking!!

Thanks for reading this!!
Hey haoleboy, I take all used 2 stroke parts donations. Sounds like yer THROUGH with 2 smokers. I am glad you are enjoying yer new engine.
Ride safe bro.
fatdaddy.