Cheap Gearbox

GoldenMotor.com

frozenveinz

Sep 25, 2011
Washington
I couldn't help but notice that on the dax website there is a 3:1 gearbox, on parts pgae 2, in the bottomish center row. It looks very similar to other gearboxes, and it has the right hole pattern. Coupled with a hausheng, 11T, and 72T sprocket, I think you could have a pretty cheap 4 smoke setup. Anybody thought of this before?

GasX

Oct 7, 2011
Florida
I bought a kit off eBay that had a version of this transmission with a freewheel final drive sprocket. The freewheel bearing exploded 300 yards into my maiden voyage. I replaced it with this transmission from Dax with the 11T fixed sprocket.

I am running a 44T rear sprocket and at 13.2:1 reduction, it is a bit too tall. I am replacing the rear with a 56T rear sprocket which will put me at a much better ratio with more pull and not too much off the top speed.

I only have about 100 miles on it so far, but it has been smooth sailing all the way.

frozenveinz

Sep 25, 2011
Washington
Are you talking a bout the hoot box? It comes with alot of cheap kits.

What is your opinion on the dax one? Reliabl\ility, noise, vibes, etc.

frozenveinz

Sep 25, 2011
Washington
When you say you found it on ebay, do you mean the one in your current build? How is that engine?

I was scanning eBay and came across a 4 stroke engine kit auction that was about to end that noone had bid on. I got it for $200 plus $50 shipping. It's a great deal regardless, but the engine mount is a complete piece of garbage, there were no instructions and a few other niggling little things about it. Also, it's a Hoot transmission.

GasX

Oct 7, 2011
Florida
Yes, but I wrote that based on others comments. The hoot is different. I'll try to post a pic later

GasX

Oct 7, 2011
Florida
found this lengthy thread on the topic: http://motorbicycling.com/f48/hoot-gearbox-replacement-5337.html

in short, I got the crap version with a freewheel sprocket. Dax sells the one with a splined shaft and you can put a couple of different fixed sprockets on it depending on your needs. It's not the best transmission out there, but it is a great value and seems to be working fine for me (we'll see how long the clutch lasts with the tall gearing...)

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I couldn't help but notice that on the dax website there is a 3:1 gearbox, on parts pgae 2, in the bottomish center row. It looks very similar to other gearboxes, and it has the right hole pattern. Coupled with a hausheng, 11T, and 72T sprocket, I think you could have a pretty cheap 4 smoke setup. Anybody thought of this before?
[/QUOT

That's regarded to as a "Hoot Chainbox" I have one that came with my BGF 4 stroke kit. I.ve never heard of one lasting more than about 250 miles. Mine crapped out about then and I had modifird it to oil bath. The housing wallowed out around the bearings.

The better chainbox that Dax has used 7 bolts on the cover and a double row #35 chain i think.
The Hoot chainbox has 6 bolts on the cover. You can get all you want on ebay for $19 each. Don't bother, they are a bad deal even at that price.
The better chainbox has a too short pto shaft and the motor has to be offset to the left quite a bit to get chain alignment.

dizzystheman

Dec 5, 2011
illinois
I like the Dax 5:1 gearbox. It's light 2 lbs, two gears, with grease. Can be mounted to the dax universal engine mount, 78 mm clutch bell. And very cheap.

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Yea,
That 5:1 hoot is cheap and LOUD!! sounds like a D-9 bulldozer on pavement. Prone to idler gear keyway shearing too. I'm not affiliated with EZ motorbike, but I would not buy any other gear reduction unit except the Q-matic or maybe the 2 speed when it becomes available. Just my 2 cents.

Mac

Fugi93

Dec 30, 2011
illinois
Yea,
That 5:1 hoot is cheap and LOUD!! sounds like a D-9 bulldozer on pavement. Prone to idler gear keyway shearing too. I'm not affiliated with EZ motorbike, but I would not buy any other gear reduction unit except the Q-matic or maybe the 2 speed when it becomes available. Just my 2 cents.

Mac
I know this is a dumb question, but which one is the idler gear? I just got a 4 cycle that came with the hoot gearbox about 6 weeks ago.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I like the Dax 5:1 gearbox. It's light 2 lbs, two gears, with grease. Can be mounted to the dax universal engine mount, 78 mm clutch bell. And very cheap.
I believe the Dax 5:1 gearbox is the pocket bike gearbox. I'm using it on my Tanaka 47R engine. Being that there's no idler gear, it reverses engine rotation. When new, my gearbox was VERY loud. However, after 1000 miles, it has quieted down so all you hear is the engine.

Some 5:1 gearboxes have straight-cut gears; others have bevel gears. I guess the former gears would be louder.

You'd be surprised how tiny the gear teeth are.

The best thing you can do is to split the gearbox. I've purchased a couple that were bone-dry! I presume they were meant to run with oil, because they have a fill plug on top and a drain plug on the bottom. I use GP grease in mine, tho.

This gearbox is cheap and handles 5hp with ease. My only complaint is that when using 8mm chain and 11t sprockets. The chain runs so close to the gearbox shaft that it wears down the circlip to look like a fish hook! It's not a problem for me. My expansion pipe runs very close to the gearshaft. If the circlip fails, the pipe will retain the 11t sprocket.

FWIW, don't order gearbox circlips(snaprings) online. They range from $1.50 to $26.99(!!!) on websites and ebay.

I bought the 9/16" circlip from the local hardware store. Home Depot sells it for $1.50; another store sold it to me for 40 cents apiece.

Last edited:

Fugi93

Dec 30, 2011
illinois
found this lengthy thread on the topic: http://motorbicycling.com/f48/hoot-gearbox-replacement-5337.html

in short, I got the crap version with a freewheel sprocket. Dax sells the one with a splined shaft and you can put a couple of different fixed sprockets on it depending on your needs. It's not the best transmission out there, but it is a great value and seems to be working fine for me (we'll see how long the clutch lasts with the tall gearing...)
I have a few questions for you about the new Dax gearbox. You are the only person that I could find that actually has one.

Would this Dax box fit on a HS 142F with a 5/8 keyed shaft?

Is it reasonably quiet?

How much output sprocket adjustment can you get on that splined shaft? By appearences it looks kinda long.

GasX

Oct 7, 2011
Florida
The Dax tranny was a 2 minute bolt on swap on my HS. The output sprocket does not seem to be adjustable - you have to adjust the mounting plate to align the chain.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I have a few questions for you about the new Dax gearbox. You are the only person that I could find that actually has one.

Would this Dax box fit on a HS 142F with a 5/8 keyed shaft?

Is it reasonably quiet?

How much output sprocket adjustment can you get on that splined shaft? By appearences it looks kinda long.
That box fits the HS with the built in clutch, wont work with the 5/8 shaft.

Fugi93

Dec 30, 2011
illinois
The Dax tranny was a 2 minute bolt on swap on my HS. The output sprocket does not seem to be adjustable - you have to adjust the mounting plate to align the chain.
Left - about 1 inch? Oh, did you say it made noise? :)

Thanks

Fugi93

Dec 30, 2011
illinois
That box fits the HS with the built in clutch, wont work with the 5/8 shaft.
Just for something to think about, if the right mm clutch was obtained and if the shaft was cut down flush back to the clutch, would it be feasible in your opinion?

Right now, I don't see any more possibilities in replacing the geared HOOT than then was 2 years ago.

Thanks

KajunKlown

Apr 16, 2012
Chackbay, LA.
I just ordered that same gearbox from dax this morning..... I have a BGF 4-stroke kit and the gear box went out after about 30 miles..... I;m hoping this one last a little longer, but I also plan on ordering a belt drive gearbox with my next paycheck just to see the difference