Morini runs!!! But.......

GoldenMotor.com

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Good deal I completely forgot I used a specialty socket on my impact Last time.:p I got them apart with wrenches before.

The Morini is a friggen real hoot ain't it!!(^)dnutdnut

Really glade Ya got her running!!!

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Good deal I completely forgot I used a specialty socket on my impact Last time.:p I got them apart with wrenches before.

The Morini is a friggen real hoot ain't it!!(^)dnutdnut

Really glade Ya got her running!!!
Couldn't have done it without the help of everyone on here.flg.

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
glad to hear you got it running well. With a 60 tooth rear it must be a rocket ship. After some ride time, you'll find your lock up point will probably creep lower and will need to be readjusted.

Happy riding!

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
glad to hear you got it running well. With a 60 tooth rear it must be a rocket ship. After some ride time, you'll find your lock up point will probably creep lower and will need to be readjusted.

Happy riding!
Yeah it takes off a a pretty unbelievable rate right now, you definately have to make sure your holding on . Itll start to lock-up at an even sooner after break in you say?

Reason I ask is it tugs just a small amount right now I was planning on adding a shim as soon as my Loctite 243 shows up from amazon. I could not find the 243 oil resistant Loctite locally to sae my life.

Just contacted Terry Blow to get a 54 tooth sprocket, I wanna try and find the sweet spot with this motor, and since its not lacking in power in any way, I figured a taller gear would make the bike less like an on off switch.

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
Yea, I had lockup dialed too low, and it crept lower still. So much that it would grab just enough to make starting difficult -basically stalling the motor when it starts to turn over. A quick adjustment and I was good to go again.

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Yea, I had lockup dialed too low, and it crept lower still. So much that it would grab just enough to make starting difficult -basically stalling the motor when it starts to turn over. A quick adjustment and I was good to go again.
Hey itchy (or anybody), just threw another flat washer in. So I should basically be tuning this this so that it wont try and move at idle at all correct? Or is a little bit of creep ok?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
A little bit of creep will never hurt anything. My BoXer bike has no creep at all it is matched up to different gearing than you have tho ''city''. The clutch was simply left with the stock stack for me. Your currant gearing will take you off road nicely.

My 5.8 full sus bike has to be physically held back when starting it and idling. It is a whole other animal tho. It has a Nuvinci rear hub and a jack shaft. First gear will climb a wall.

You will need to just set it up to your personal taste. That is the kewl part these clutches are adjustable!

Last edited:

FarRider

Jun 8, 2011
Brooklyn N.Y.
Finicky little buggers aint they?
I've been messing around with these little Italian harlots for a while now and I agree with Goat on this one, the slightest change in the washer stack has dramatic effect on the final stall speed of the engine.
One of the main problems with putting a Morini into a regular bicycle frame has always been that center exhaust port that point directly at the bikes down tube. necessitating a sharp 90 bend in the worst spot imaginable for a high revving 2 stroke, directly as the hot gasses leave the engine.
What do hot gasses want to do?
Thats right, EXPAND.
I admire your handmade exhaust system but its strangling the engine, these engines were designed to operate with an expansion chamber type of exhaust system. I've had great luck with the SPB tuned pipe and a custom made head pipe.
The rest of the bike looks great.
FR

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Ive since switch to a tuned pipe off of a KTM 50cc that I bought on ebay. Honestly I cant tell much of difference in power between what I have now and what I made myself, other than the new pipe is Much louder.

With the sprocket I have now the bike pulls extremely hard on take off, this this is absolutely made for racing type applications. I basically accidentally built myself a race bike.

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Finicky little buggers aint they?
I've been messing around with these little Italian harlots for a while now and I agree with Goat on this one, the slightest change in the washer stack has dramatic effect on the final stall speed of the engine.
One of the main problems with putting a Morini into a regular bicycle frame has always been that center exhaust port that point directly at the bikes down tube. necessitating a sharp 90 bend in the worst spot imaginable for a high revving 2 stroke, directly as the hot gasses leave the engine.
What do hot gasses want to do?
Thats right, EXPAND.
I admire your handmade exhaust system but its strangling the engine, these engines were designed to operate with an expansion chamber type of exhaust system. I've had great luck with the SPB tuned pipe and a custom made head pipe.
The rest of the bike looks great.
FR

Thanks for the compliment

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
As far as a expansion chamber goes keep an eye for used ones on eBay. I got a pipe ment for an ItaliJet motor for $30 shipped. Most anything will have to be modified but that's the nature of the beast ;) Just remember Morini's came and still come installed on many European bikes. Cobra, KTM, LEM, Aprilia, Motobecane, ItaliJet and many more. Try 50cc expansion as a eBay search, you'll find many. Maybe even one that fits :)

Edit: I searched 50cc exhaust and found a bunch of different pipes for under $100. Of course none have a sharp bend right at the port exit but that's what welders are for :)

Last edited:

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
As far as a expansion chamber goes keep an eye for used ones on eBay. I got a pipe ment for an ItaliJet motor for $30 shipped. Most anything will have to be modified but that's the nature of the beast ;) Just remember Morini's came and still come installed on many European bikes. Cobra, KTM, LEM, Aprilia, Motobecane, ItaliJet and many more. Try 50cc expansion as a eBay search, you'll find many. Maybe even one that fits :)

Edit: I searched 50cc exhaust and found a bunch of different pipes for under $100. Of course none have a sharp bend right at the port exit but that's what welders are for :)
Ive been running an expansion chamber for about a week now, not a big power difference that I could tell between this and the Stainless chambered muffler I fabricated, but none the less its on there.

I did get it off ebay and it was from a KTM 50,I TIG welded about a 70 degree angle that I splice cut and fabricated also, as well as placing a small HT muffler at the end of the stinger to tone down the Morinis sinister sound.

Last edited:

FarRider

Jun 8, 2011
Brooklyn N.Y.
Ive been running an expansion chamber for about a week now, not a big power difference that I could tell between this and the Stainless chambered muffler I fabricated, but none the less its on there.

I did get it off ebay and it was from a KTM 50,I TIG welded about a 70 degree angle that I splice cut and fabricated also, as well as placing a small HT muffler at the end of the stinger to tone down the Morinis sinister sound.
2 questions-
#1, does the head pipe still make that nasty 70degree bend?
#2, how long is your head pipe from exhaust spigot to the exp chamber?

Theirs lots of low down torque to be had by experimenting with the length of the head pipe.

A quick n dirty rule of thumb is the shorter the head pipe, the higher up in the rpm band is were you'll have the power come in, conversely the longer the head pipe the better your low end torque will be,
I went threw 3 different head pipes before i settled on the one i run now.
FR

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
2 questions-
#1, does the head pipe still make that nasty 70degree bend?
#2, how long is your head pipe from exhaust spigot to the exp chamber?

Theirs lots of low down torque to be had by experimenting with the length of the head pipe.

A quick n dirty rule of thumb is the shorter the head pipe, the higher up in the rpm band is were you'll have the power come in, conversely the longer the head pipe the better your low end torque will be,
I went threw 3 different head pipes before i settled on the one i run now.
FR
A picture is worth thousand words

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Hey Itchybird - I did exactly as you said (at first missed thinnest flat washer 2 stuck together inside device) but it works beautifully ! Put it together today wahoo 1
What size rear wheel and gear are you using Robin?

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
Hey Robin,

Glad to hear you got it all dialed in. There is not much of a support network for the Morini, takes a little more trial and error, but after dialing in the clutch and getting your pipe sorted you should be good to go.

As for the motor itself, I've had zero, and I do mean ZERO, problems, but I want to fool around with gearing some.

Pat and I run the moped hubs and until now, we've been pretty much stuck with 45 tooth rear sprockets (biggest available for the Puch hubs we run). But Pat has just made these killer new sprocket assy's for the moped hubs and now we can run whatever custom ratio's we want. I am going to run a larger sprocket to lower the overall ratio a bit. Should perk up the little the beast.

Rich