better change new eng oil soon!!

GoldenMotor.com

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Well, I got about 1 hour's running time on my new HS/chainbox from BGF. I am suprised at how quiet it is. Quite fast, bout 40mph! Needs pedal assist on takeoff and hills tho.

I modded the chainbox to run with oil bath, so I expected some metal in the oil from the sprockets wearing,and decided to chang the oil.

There was some metal in the oil but not a lot.

Decided to drain the engine too, and was I suprised!!

The oil looked like heavy metallic paint! It was all aluminum though,picked up nothing stirring it with a magnet.

I'm gonna change it every hour's running time until it clears up.

So, If you get a new engine, I don't think it's prudent to wait long at all for the first oil change.

Wayne Z

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Thanks Wayne, good advice.

I am curious, how many teeth did it come with for a rear sprocket? Really cool to hear about them being quiet. Thinking about trying one. I really liked the torque of the Grubee and thats just a timing belt.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Hi Dan, The chainbox is 3.25:1 ratio, the freewheeling drive sprocket is 11 teeth. The wheel sprocket is 48 teeth = bout 14.something to one, sorta tall. I have a 54t coming ,that will get me .into the 18.something range.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Hi Dan, The chainbox is 3.25:1 ratio, the freewheeling drive sprocket is 11 teeth. The wheel sprocket is 48 teeth = bout 14.something to one, sorta tall. I have a 54t coming ,that will get me .into the 18.something range.
What size chain does the 11 tooth freewheel sprocket take?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Vedy interesting. (Artie Johnson) I might have to try one. Really like the chain drive and freewheeling. Engine braking kinda annoys me. Dunno, seems like a waste and extra wear n tear with no real benefit. Just a personal preference.

Thanks again Wayne

Attachments

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
The 11t freewheel runs with the 415 chain
I realize that the freewheel sprocket came with the engine but I could find a lot of uses for a sprocket like that. Is thier any chance that you could take a picture of it as I would like to look into it further.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I realize that the freewheel sprocket came with the engine but I could find a lot of uses for a sprocket like that. Is thier any chance that you could take a picture of it as I would like to look into it further.
cant take pix till Saturday, but I will. Look on E-bay at BGF's 4 stroke kits and you might see tr in his pix

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I bought one to replace one that failed after 3,000 or so miles, $12.50 from bicycle-engines.com and I think Dax has them also. Here's a pick of the failed one I gutted and am using for an idler wheel for chain tension.

URL=http://img266.imageshack.us/i/img1174mk.jpg/]
[/URL]

URL=http://img545.imageshack.us/i/img1173m.jpg/]
[/URL]

My latest HS has less than 30 hrs. on it and I've changed the oil 3 times so far. The first oil change, the initial oil dump was black, lot's of metallic particles. The last change was not bad at all. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited: