Front SBP chainring wear

GoldenMotor.com

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
I don't quite know how many miles I have on my HD shift kit from SBP.
but I think the front chain ring and the 10 tooth sprocket are starting to wear. (500 miles or so )
It's starting to jump chain on the right jack-shaft to freewheel sprocket.
Even after tightening it, not too tight, not to loose, checking sprocket alignment,
I still get the chain jumping off 3-4 times in a 20-25 mile ride.
It's not skipping or slipping, just jumping off now and then.
The freewheel has some play but it's not sloppy.

How many miles have you guys put on the shift kit and have you needed to replace sprockets?
How bout the bearings?

It seems the 36 tooth sprocket shows less wear.
I just got done replacing the chain tonight and will see how it does in the morning.
I think the standard 10 tooth with the 44/36 gearing is just about right for my bike but I may try
the 11 tooth just for kicks.
I love the kit and would never build another bike without one.
I haven't needed to peddle from a dead stop yet. Giddy up bee-och.

TIM

Last edited:

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
My chain was worn, I removed it and laid it side by side with a new one.
In about 2 feet of chain the pins still lined up with the new chain's pins pretty closely.
No rust what so ever I keep my bike immaculately clean and had no tight links.
Side play was getting a bit much.
I replaced it anyway and ran out of daylight to go for a decent test drive, only around the block once.
thanks for the reply :-||
TIm

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
First I would recommend running the chain a little tighter than you think you should. This is typically the most common reason for chains jumping along with alignment but you said you checked that. Next I would check that the rest of the set up is tight. If something is coming loose it could cause the engine to twist under load. I would also carefully examine each tooth on the chainring. It is possible that when it jumped the first time it may have slightly bent a tooth on the chainring causing it to continue to jump. Just some suggestions.

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Thanks Jim,
After checking the alignment again I decided to move the 10 tooth outboard a little bit on the 5/8"
shaft. One of the set-screws was loose. I figured maybe the cog drifted in a little. My eye sight isn't what it used to be.

Gonna go for a test ride before I head for the hills.
We'll see hows she does. (How come it's always a "she" ?)

TIM

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I don't quite know how many miles I have on my HD shift kit from SBP.
but I think the front chain ring and the 10 tooth sprocket are starting to wear. (500 miles or so )...

How many miles have you guys put on the shift kit and have you needed to replace sprockets?
How bout the bearings?...

Hey Tim, tho I suspect ya figured out the problem I figured I'd answer yer other questions jus' ta give you an idea about wear rates :)

I've dang close to 4000 miles on my Rollfast build w/a shiftkit & the bearings are showing no signs of undue wear whatsoever. I did gently pry off the dust covers & pack them with a quality marine grade bearing grease when I first built the bike... and then proceded to abuse & neglect them heh

Two of the sprockets do have fewer miles on them, I switched out frm a 10t to 9t & 44t to 48t chainring while dialing in the gearing to suit my 3sp, the hills around here & my crazy heavy vintage bike... I did that at around 1000 miles or so.

The only problems I've had would be breaking the lil aluminum L bracket used on the gen2 SBP kit to attach & stiffen the back plate to the right side plate, I replaced it w/a steel one and that fixed it right up (moot point w/the newest shiftkit ofc) and bustin' a coupla chains.... which is my fault & nufin' to do with the kit as not only were they cheapo chains, I mighta been abusing my bike a bit at the time ;)

edit;
erp... I forgot about the freewheel bearing :oops: I swapped the HD bearing out for the standard one about 1500+ miles ago. I had a bit of a "pulsing" issue in the powertrain somewhere & I was trying to track it down (it's also what broke that lil L bracket) - turns out it was the press fit on my right-side pedal crank (replaced) & not the bearings which are in fine shape (also repacked w/marine grade grease when new)... I'm still runnin' the cheap freewheel bearing just ta see how long it'll put up w/me :D

Last edited: