Gas mileage

GoldenMotor.com
My mileage dropped from 185 MPG to 165 MPG on my 4-stroke because I have been running the motor really hard for long distances. One ride was 76 miles round trip and I never dropped below 40 MPH. I am conducting belt tests on the primary drive and putting as much stress on the system as possible. The last 1565 miles were high speed tests and is the major reason my mileage dropped so much.

This motor and drive system has over 4000 miles on it so far, and still runs like new. Tomorrow I will start riding normal again and I will test the MPG again.

Have fun,

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I am getting 175-180 mpg,,,that is with the 72 tooth and 75% of the time pulling the trailer/girls !!! :)

I think the fact that most of my miles are around 20mph is the reason ;)

I am almost at 4800 miles on my engine now :)

Hi palmclub,

I am a lightweight, approx 165 to 170. 99% of the roads are level, but sometimes windy.

I live on the outer banks of NC, where the Wright brothers came to fly the first plane because of the winds.

Sometimes a little slow into the wind, but really swift with the wind pusing me along LOL.

Let us know your mileage.

Have fun,

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
i am looking or should i said quoting a couple of 4 stroke motors how much are you asking for you 4 stroke kit is going on my trike i need something reliable herenis a pic az bill already seen it but for the other that has not seen it here it is

Attachments

palmclub

Feb 17, 2010
Los Olivos Ca.
Quinton Hi i havent a speedo yet what the best choice, Whizzer or something else i see theres ditgital computer one all kinds of choices what do you think

Hi city of angels,
Nice looking trike! It appears our kit would easily install in your frame. The majority of companies using a 4-stroke motor selected the Honda or HS motor. The major difference is in the drive system, quality control, and country of manufacture.
For the last several years the drive systems have had major problems, whereas our American made system has excelled. Our belt drive system can easily be tuned for different ratios and can be altered at a very low cost.

Hi palmclub,

Sorry but the supply of speedometers by Whizzer is no more. They were some of the best available and were fairly accurate and held up well. I have tried using a series of analog mechanical units but they just don't do well. I would suggest using the electronic type as they are usually accurate and easy to install.

Hi Jarred8783,
Bet your weight will help the MPG, let us know.

Have fun,

Last edited:

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
city of angels,
pm me with your number and I will call you regarding numbers ($) :)
the only problem might be the size of your rear sprocket...
I know there isn't much space back there,,,we used a 32tooth I think and a 56 is what is stock with the EZM kit

jarred, I am only about 145lbs, and get in the 180's for mpg, even with the big 72 tooth sprocket :)

palmclub

Feb 17, 2010
Los Olivos Ca.
Love your twice pipes how cool is that ,, i just got Ez moter pack on my bike seems very good cant believe how quiet it is compared to the strokers at low end seems a little week but momemtom gets a going and you forget about it VERY NICE RIDE Thanks Quinton good luck Poul

Hi palmclub,

You can alter the belt type to add more take off power, but it will subtract a little top end. I like it geared a little tall [slower take off] so that the motor is smooth at cruising speed.

Keep us posted on your progress, and

Have fun,

palmclub

Feb 17, 2010
Los Olivos Ca.
JB hi ya i,m runnin the stock gear that came with kit i believe its a 56 tooth, i,m throwin master links right and left so ive not time to really get used to anything yet,,, the prob is my old 68 frame is a little narrow and the chain can rub on the frame so we have two chain tensoners set to keep clearance and not be to out of allainment,,i might have to dig out another frame ?? will see how it goes, right now i barly have time for it cause i,m startin to harvest garlic that takes time all day will see what tomorrow brings tylers diesel diff. takes the cake clocked him at 47 tonite

palmclub

Feb 17, 2010
Los Olivos Ca.
Quinton ya i,m going to play with the gearin but i think what your saying having a better top is good but i have a lot of hills here so maybe i,ll gear it down a bit thanks for a great machine just poopin around the other day coming down from my buds ranch i believe i was hitting 35 on a slight downhill flat see ya Poul

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
You can alter the belt type to add more take off power, but it will subtract a little top end. I like it geared a little tall [slower take off] so that the motor is smooth at cruising speed.
How exactly does this work?
I understand that a different size v like skinnier or wider or whatever
(I dont know the belt lingo please correct me)
will grip the pulleys at different heights making different ratios but if it is higher or lower on one pulley then it would be just the same difference on the other pulley. right?

What I am trying to say is I dont really understand.
please elaborate

thanks
Jared

Hi Jared,

In order for the ratios to be changed via the belt, the pulleys must be able to work with them. A lot of pulleys will only work with one belt style.

You are correct that both pulleys change ratios with different belts and if they are the same size the ratio would always stay the same. As an example if both pulleys were 2" and different style belts are used the ratio will always stay the same 1 X 1. If the pulleys are different in size then the ratios can be altered via belt design.

Belt engineering is in fact a real art and many don't understand the basic concept. It appears we are never too old to learn, and many of the original ideas were based on faulty concepts. Belts in fact don't ride in the pulleys as we originally thought, belt design varies widely, and belt companies take a liberal approach to the interchange guides. Some belts from different companies can vary as much as 1" in length, and as much as 1/8" in width. It is for this reason that EZM will have belts made in the near future so that we can control the size, price, & quality.

Our research & testing has taken us to a new level concerning "V" belts, power transfer rates, belt design, belt ratios, belt pitch angles, belt material, and most importantly durability.

The Q-Matic was designed to incorporate the latest inovations and with the help of the major belt, pulley, and clutch companies, we can supply the most up to date drive system available.

Although we can alter the ratios with a vast array of belts we narrowed the options to only 3 because of design & quality. The primary ratios can be ordered in 2.62 X 1, 2.76 X 1, and 2.935 X 1, and can easily be changed if needed.

I will site a few examples of the final ratios, the 2.62 X 1 primary and 56 tooth rear sprocket will lead to a final ratio of 14.68 X 1 or 40 MPH @ 7600 RPMs, the primary ratio of 2.76 X 1 translates into 15.48 X 1 and 38 MPH @ 7600 RPMs, and the primary ratio of 2.935 X 1 ends up with 16.43 X 1 and top speed of 36 MPH @ 7600 RPMs. As can be noted, each ratio change effects the top end by approx. 2 MPH. In addition the rear sprocket can also be changed to add even more ratio options. For instance if the rear sprocket had 60 teeth and the primary ratio of 2.935 X 1 were employed the final would be 17.61 X 1 [33 MPH @ 7600 RPMs] and should allow the bike to climb the side of a building, LOL. Bill in AZ is using a 72 tooth rear and primary ratio of 2.62 X 1 for a final of 18.8 X 1 [31 MPH @ 7600 RPMs] and easily pulls hills with a trailer [with 2 grandchildren]and still maintains great gas mileage.

Hope this helps answer your questions, if not please ask again.

Have fun,

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
Although we can alter the ratios with a vast array of belts we narrowed the options to only 3 because of design & quality. The primary ratios can be ordered in 2.62 X 1, 2.76 X 1, and 2.935 X 1, and can easily be changed if needed
so these are the 3 different ratios you can have just by changing belts
what are the 3 different belt styles?

way I see it is like this

example:
you have an 8 inch pulley and a 10 inch (would that ratio be a 1.25 to 1?)
then you get a belt that sits 2 inches lower and now the belt rides at 6 inches annd eight inches making the ratio 1 1/3 to 1

I think I get it now

Let me know If i got it or not

thanks
jared