FYI Harbour freight tool Greyhound 6.5hp $89.00

GoldenMotor.com

captainrichhill

May 31, 2008
Just a heads up. I was in Harbour Freight today(Jacksonville,FL) and saw their 6.5HP greyhound 4stroke motor for sale at $89.00 which is that regular price of their 2.5HP greyhound. I know someone on this forum used the greyhound on a motorized bike project. I hope someone can take advantage of this great price.dance1

kallsop

May 2, 2009
CT US
That's a huge 200cc engine. I have one on my snowblower and it's a great engine, a Honda clone. Maybe it could be a trailer engine. It's way too big and heavy for a bicycle frame or rear rack mount.

captainrichhill

May 31, 2008
I think it's a big motor also. However, I think it would work in some of these S T R E T C H bikes. They would be able to carry the added weight pretty well.

Just my thoughts. I was shocked when I saw that price. How can they be making any profit?????

kallsop

May 2, 2009
CT US
I'm sure it can be physically installed on a bicycle, even though it's huge, but 6.5hp? You could go 60+mph which is not safe at all on a bicycle. Take a look at even a cheap scooter and see how much sturdier everything is than a bicycle. Compare a 125cc Honda bike to any bicycle, the difference in strength is massive. The HF 6.5hp engine is 200cc. Mating it to a bicycle is a death wish.

My old snowblower Tecumseh Snowking engine bit the dust (what a load of carp that engine was) and I fitted the HP 6.5hp engine in its place. Sweet engine, and $89 is amazing. I think I paid $129 last December, reduced from $159 regular price.

I think it's a big motor also. However, I think it would work in some of these S T R E T C H bikes. They would be able to carry the added weight pretty well.

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
When I bought my HF 2.5 I saw the ad for the bigger one. I was tempted but sanity got the best of me. I agree that it is far to big for a bicycle and would rip 14g spokes apart. at 89.99 plus a 20% coupon I'm just thinking what kind of chinese sweat shop I'm supporting. :( I know its capitalism but dam.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Thanks Capt. I really like the Greyhounds. Just got the HF flyer. They also have a 1.5 HP 4 stroke pump on sale for $99. Couldn't find it on the web page but gonna go check tomorrow.

Gator Wrestler

Jan 22, 2009
Springfield LA
Dan,

Is that correct? A 4 stroke 1.5HP pump is something new. Last month they had the 2 stroke pump on sale for $89. I got a rain check as they were out of stock. I actually want it as a pump. When the power is out I have no running water. I was without power for over 2 months in 2005 and 11 days in 2008. That motor is also sweet on a friction drive.

Tom

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dang, was the 2 stroke Tom. Just got back. Sorry all, for my confuzzeled. Sweet lil engine though. I took a rough measure and looks to be 9" if it were sitting in a frame but not sure how far the shaft goes into the pump, but around there.

Just mounted the HF 2.5. Really, really like em. Is a biggen though, lol.

Man! Must be an incredible drag to be with out water! Even for a day or 2 but man, that long.

Gator Wrestler

Jan 22, 2009
Springfield LA
I think that HF sale is nation wide as the one in Baton Rouge has the same sale. I'm going to pick one up and mate it to a comet CVT to use on a motorcycle. I have the 2.5 on a build that I have been refining for a few weeks now. At first I had it geered at 8.8 to 1 with 26" wheel. Now it sports a 20" wheel at 10 to 1. It performs a lot better at this ratio. I will next try a 60 tooth sprocket on a 26" wheel. I will try 12 to 1 and may try 13.33 to 1 to see how she performs. I use a 2 to 1 comet gear reduction right on the engine. This could be adjusted by using a larger sprocket on the jackshaft.

Tom

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
6.5hp motor could easily net you $2000 in tickets on 1 stop here in CO. No ins, saftey equip violations, no tags/plates or m/c license. If your under 50cc the fines drop down drasticlly and your in a different class of fines. DMV doesnt recognize under 50cc as a motor vehicle only as a low power scooter with their own class of fines. 1 stop=2k no thanks! Think about 2 stops.....FYI 2k includes court fees, brain damage fund fee, battered womens DV fund fee and all the other lil bs tacked on to each ticket here LOL.

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
*sigh*

The hardware store I work at just started carrying these... the Lifan brand - I think they're the same? It looks 'bout identical anyway 'cept it's got an electric start too (mebbe the harbor freight does, but I didn't see it).

My prompt response was to tell him to get a buncha 2hp ones... for some reason lol ;)

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
If you needing the 20% off coupons the Reader Digest has a 2 page add each month
form Harbor Freight with that 20% off coupon so if you subscribe to that magazine
each month you will get that handy coupon. So far I've got 3 they are dated so use the oldest one first.
Other magazines have them I don't know which ones so keep your eyes open.

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
The wife came home with the 20% coupon yesterday and I got the 6.5 hp greyhound for $78 after tax. Don't know what the **** to do with it; just couldn't pass up the deal.

Thinking about a road legal board tracker; wish Halycon still built frames & forks, this engine would be perfect for it.

Any ideas?

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
If you have some skills you could stuff it in a reinforced industrial bike frame, mount worksman rims and 10g spokes to lightweight m/c or moped hubs, and some kinda dampening fr suspension. Then just put the necessary lights and the various excessories required to deem it a "Motor Driven Cycle" (an interesting class of 2 wheeled vehicle)though in WA 5hp is the limit for MDC after that it's just a m/c.

Or start w/ a m/c chassis.

Something very cool as well as safe and legal could be done w/ it.