well screw my crappy 2 stroke moped!!

GoldenMotor.com

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
You are lucky if you have a dealer, especially a good one, near you. I think you will be pleased with this form of transportation. It is much more fun than any other I have. It does take some time to tweak and it ends up being an addiction. I live on somewhat of a mountain myself. My bike is a stretch cruiser and I can still do about 18mph all the way home with no pedaling.

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
You are lucky if you have a dealer, especially a good one, near you. I think you will be pleased with this form of transportation. It is much more fun than any other I have. It does take some time to tweak and it ends up being an addiction. I live on somewhat of a mountain myself. My bike is a stretch cruiser and I can still do about 18mph all the way home with no pedaling.
18mph??? my ht did 28mph the full time, i hope this 4 stroke isnt slow like my moped! i had an ht so im no n00b to MB's just to 4 strokes,

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'm wondering if you are expecting more from a motorbicycle than is realistic. If you were able to hit 28mph all the time, even up hill, that's not so bad is it? Maybe what you need is a motorcycle and not a bicycle with a motor on it. Or maybe you need to change the rear sprocket size to up the top end speed some. How big a rider are you? I'm 200 pounds and have no trouble getting up to the low to mid 30's with stock motors and stock kit sprockets on two different bikes, both 68.CC. In my mind 30 mph or so on a bicycle is about as fast as you would want to cruise along for any length of time even if the motor will do more. It is a bicycle after all is said and done. As the Irish say, "It is what it is."
SB

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
There are a lot of variables here. When I say I live on a mountain, I mean that. Not a hill. Also, I have my bike geared a little high for speed. Most of my ride is not hills, so I prefer to go faster when I can. My bike is a little heavier than most. My rear end is probably a little heavier, also. I personally don't like 2 stroke engines, so I can't give you a comparison. I have only had 4 stroke kits.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Another thing to consider is the hoot gearbox is geared pretty high, which means that your top end is going to be low with the supplied drive gear. I could take off without pedaling with the hoot and the 50t gear. I think it was a 50t that was supplied. I think my top end was around 28-30mph on flat ground WOT. I would have to say that 28 or better uphill for a long distance doesn't sound realistic for a bicycle.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Cool Linnix, you got the dealer to drop in!!! I have to say to you Motor Boys, we are glad to see you here. Welcome to the forum. Are you going to take care of our friend after he buys one of your kits?

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
I'm wondering if you are expecting more from a motorbicycle than is realistic. If you were able to hit 28mph all the time, even up hill, that's not so bad is it? Maybe what you need is a motorcycle and not a bicycle with a motor on it. Or maybe you need to change the rear sprocket size to up the top end speed some. How big a rider are you? I'm 200 pounds and have no trouble getting up to the low to mid 30's with stock motors and stock kit sprockets on two different bikes, both 68.CC. In my mind 30 mph or so on a bicycle is about as fast as you would want to cruise along for any length of time even if the motor will do more. It is a bicycle after all is said and done. As the Irish say, "It is what it is."
SB
yes indeed it is a bicycle with a motor, not a motorcycle, the strike going on now makes it imposible for me to get a licence otherwise i would be driving my car and not building mb's exept for a hobby, my 2 stroke 66cc HT hit 40kph(24mph) as a cruising speed and that was good for me, it would do 55kph if i pushed it but i didnt want to blow the engine, it would do about 35kph on the hills and on the steep hills i would just pedal along, i dont expect much, i just hope this kit will do 40kph and have some decent hill climbing power, i have seen people claiming that these engines do 35mph but i doubt that, 24mph is good for me,

this was my bike btw
YouTube - bicycle with 80cc engine and a boost bottle

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
Another thing to consider is the hoot gearbox is geared pretty high, which means that your top end is going to be low with the supplied drive gear. I could take off without pedaling with the hoot and the 50t gear. I think it was a 50t that was supplied. I think my top end was around 28-30mph on flat ground WOT. I would have to say that 28 or better uphill for a long distance doesn't sound realistic for a bicycle.
with a 44tooth that should be some decent speed, im looking for power though, 30mph on the flats at WOT is plenty!! i only want 24mph! so im going to see if motorboys has a 50t and a 55t i can buy extra just to see what i prefer, but if it does 30mph(48kph) on the flats just tached then thats what my HT did, the hills it dropped to abut 15-22mph depending on the stepth of the hill(is stepth a word??? it is now!!!)

i want the convenience of gas at the pump, no smoke, and no 100db screaming!!

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
sometimes i think we forget that our bikes have peddles that actually work! (unlike my sad sad little moped) best cure for a steep hill!

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
35mph is a very realistic number. It all depends on gearing. The grubee gearbox is geared lower than the hoot which produces a good bit higher mph but lower torque with the same drive gear.

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
35mph is a very realistic number. It all depends on gearing. The grubee gearbox is geared lower than the hoot which produces a good bit higher mph but lower torque with the same drive gear.

which is why i will get multiple sprockets, always good to find a gearing you like, im aiming to hill power and 24-28mph top speed, i weigh 230 btw,

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
The link for the gearbox earlier also has a freewheeling sprocket kit and various sprocket sizes with a heavy duty hub. This was a great investment for me. It makes the sprocket easier to change, runs more true, and the freewheeling is great for going downhill.

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
What is the deal with the strike that's going on? I just have to ask.
hahaha thought no one would ever ask!! its complete freeking BS!!!!!

the g2 test center(in canada you get a g1 which is a learners permit, and you can only drive with an adult with there full g licence who had it for 5 years, then you go do a driving exam in a car and get a g2, which allows you to drive alone, but you cant have any blood alcohol limit, then you get your g which is a full licence, anyways i went and spent 500 bucks to do my driving school, when i finished it i went to go get my g2 and they were on strike, i have a car, a 1984 Buick skylark valued at $2500 and its ready to drive, but i cant get my licence because the test center is on strike!!!! its infuriating,
its like your a starving hobo about to die and someone keep waving a cheese sandwich in front of your face just out of reach!! and my school is 20kms away, and then after school i need to travel 5kms to work, and then home again, its all uphill to school and work, and i return home at like 10pm, so i really need a car, and now the temperature is dropping, there will be snow soon,

here is the site for the drive center,DriveTest
sadly there still on strike,(been like 4 months!!!

Motor Boys

Nov 6, 2009
Cambridge
We have 50 tooth sprokets on order aswell as 36 tooth, sorry for the late reply had to hit the showers, gotta head down to the shop. All I have to say is whatever anyone needs we can get, we try to please everyone. By the way this strike for sure sucks impacting everyone, but it has helped my sales.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Linnux13,It sounds like you know what you want and don't want, have a seller willing to work with you and are ready to replace the gearbox if it doesn't work out. I say go for it and good luck to you. Sorry if I misunderstood regarding unreal expectations. Sometimes we see people here who are expecting a bicycle with a little motor on it to become a real motorcycle ready for traffic at high speeds, which is not gonna happen. If you weren't going for the 4 stroke a shift kit would probably fill the bill in terms of cruising speed plus ability to climb hills. I hope it works out for you and that you'll keep us posted.
SB

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
We have 50 tooth sprokets on order aswell as 36 tooth, sorry for the late reply had to hit the showers, gotta head down to the shop. All I have to say is whatever anyone needs we can get, we try to please everyone. By the way this strike for sure sucks impacting everyone, but it has helped my sales.
lol i bet it is! the best time to get into selling MB's,

i will get a 50t sprocket as well as the 44t, what is the price on the sprockets?

thanks,

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
Linnux13,It sounds like you know what you want and don't want, have a seller willing to work with you and are ready to replace the gearbox if it doesn't work out. I say go for it and good luck to you. Sorry if I misunderstood regarding unreal expectations. Sometimes we see people here who are expecting a bicycle with a little motor on it to become a real motorcycle ready for traffic at high speeds, which is not gonna happen. If you weren't going for the 4 stroke a shift kit would probably fill the bill in terms of cruising speed plus ability to climb hills. I hope it works out for you and that you'll keep us posted.
SB

yeah ahaha ive seen my fair share of speedys! some kid down the block got a kit like my ht, he removed the baffle, got a nos kit(wtf? actually nitrous oxide in a canister on the handle bars!!!) and he got a 33t custom sprocket, and a bunch of other crap, i saw the police after him one day and he just took off on a bike trial, i thought he was going to get me arrested, luckly the police in dundas are smart and know who they want, none the less i gave him a "tip" i told him if he ran it on straight 95 octain gas it would be faster!! i havnt seen him since so i assume the retard took my advice!

Motor Boys

Nov 6, 2009
Cambridge
We have them on order, I can ship you one once we get them in, I will give you a price as soon as they are in, You never know what customs is going to tack on.