Trail ride :-(

GoldenMotor.com

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
It was beautiful yestrday with temps in low 70s. I decided I was going to take my shifter kit out and ride a trail that goes up to Mount Herman (lots of switchbacks and twisties-a heavily wooded trail).

I took me about a hour or riding to get to the Mount Herman trail head and 20 minutes into my ride on the trail, a large wooden branch got caught up in my rear wheel/chain. Sudden stoppage occured which bent my 1st gear-a 34 tooth megagear), derailleur, and chain. Fortunately I carried a spare derailleur and chain and was able to get it home without any issues but I now need a new freewheel. Just goes to say that you can't predict what can happen during a ride.

Yes, I carry a spare deraileur and chain. Had a derailleur get twisted up during a group ride in Denver requiring getting a tow from another bike using a rope.

I've never had this happen before either on a pedal or shifter bike. Guess it happened for reason.

Last edited:

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
Sorry to hear about your mishap but Iam glad your OK. Get that bike fixed FAST where not going to have many more great riding days in co this year like yesterday.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Andy,
Sorry to hear about the disaster. Glad you got home safe. We might be done with the Denver rides this year but, hey, there's always spring to look forward to.
Tom

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
That sucks, at least you were prepared for it. I think there might be 1 more DAR before the weather really holds us up, but you never know. Take care