How to seal my exhaust from leaking

GoldenMotor.com
So my exhaust leaks where the screw holds the baffle in and where the bottom cap fits into the body. What would be the best way/method/device/goo to put on there to keep it leaking only out the hole it's supposed to come from?

I know they leak and that is fine, but I want to seal up the other 2 spots so it doesn't look so terrible.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
What oil/fuel mix are you using? Too much oil and it has to go somewhere. Oil from the exhaust of a two stroke is common.
Remove the end cap and inspect the area where it attaches to the muffler. You might have a poor fit. Most of them fit pretty tight but a bend in the muffler or end cap might be letting exhaust leak. Also check the stinger, or the little tail pipe where the exhaust is supposed to exit. Some have found the weld to be partially blocking that little opening. If this is the case grind the weld to open the passage.
Going to a synthetic oil where you use less oil is also an option. Less oil = less mess.
Tom

Last edited:

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
If your going to try anything the copper Hi-Temp silicone gasket maker would probably work seeing how far it would be from the exhaust port. The Hi-Temp silicone is supposed to be able to handle 575 F.

Get all contact points as clean as you can. Carb cleaner works best, there must be no oil or grease or carbon for the silicone to work. Some sanding of the mating surfaces would help, too. Anything less than clean means you will blow the silicone out.

Only other thing I can think of is to weld the cap on...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
As DaveC says, there are high temp sealers that will probably take the heat just fine.
His advice to have a clean surface is right on.
I'd shy away from welding however.
Whatever, while the end cap is off take a look at the small pipe to make sure it is not restricted.
Of course you could always join us weirdos who run Opti-2 @100:1 :)
Tom

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Im glad someone knows about it. I have the same issue. Do u think after cleaning off the cap, would duct tape hold out even with heat. I don't know the max temp. duct tape can take.

For some reason I'm not getting the email notifications all the time. I missed 2 answers and it finally emailed me on James's response.

However, I was able to figure out a temporary fix for the leak. I sold my bike so I can build a different one. Going from a mountain bike to a cruiser style lol.

As far as the silicone idea, 3 different parts store and a motorcycle shop had no idea what silicone I was talking about.