Indian 22 vintage flavor/sabor

GoldenMotor.com

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Finally the "Indian Outlaw" build...which contrasts the "Indian Territory Police Scout", "the good, the bad & (hopefully not) the ugly" with my sincere apology to Clint Eastwood fans everywhere. Not quite sorted out yet, but starts and ran well enough to seat the rings.

Fito aluminum frame, triple tree, 24" wheels, 3" Kenda flames, one piece crankset, rear bobber fender, disk brake (front) stock coaster rear, flat black paint & handlebars all stock...shipped & "Bob's your uncle" ready to assemble in under an hour ...Total $330. I used all these components, while adding my own personal touches & some $$$ to make the "Indian Outlaw" stand out on the "Territorial most wanted posters"!

Keg style aluminum tank, camel back location connected with custom aluminum frame attacked to the seat post by two chromed Harley D. foot peg brackets. Stainless steels clamps secure the spun tank to the frame. Holds almost a half a gallon.

More details to follow, Rick C.

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I rode the "Indian Police Scout" a few miles this weekend and other than the drive chain getting a bit of grease on the Duro creme 2.135" tires it was a sucessful short ride. I spent some time adjusting the Manic sproket adaptor to allow a bit more chain offset and after cleaning the grease off the tire with WD40 I again went for a ride and there was great joy & no grease on the tire. Perfect chain alignment achieved & no other problems noted.

This little Indian was started as a fast build and low budget, for me. It was simply a project utilizing a new basic rolling bike and a motor kit. I should have known that I'd want more...though the finished cost was not too bad it was still over budget.

I don't usually build three bikes at a time & I've never kept a detailed record for myself or shared any of my previous bike builds with others on a forum & it's different for sure.

I'll be posting some more shots of my "Indian outlaw" build soon. RC

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Trying to keep cream tires clean is a real pain, but they sure do look good. I read on the forum of someone using Mr. Clean Eraser, but don't know how effective it is. I tried a white wall cleaner from NAPA and while it worked pretty well, it was also a lot of effort to do get them cleaned up. I'd like to know what works best as I have two bikes with cream tires and one of them has three wheels.
SB

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Silver bear, I've been reading your Elgin thread & love the art deco style coupled with your various bits & pieces....+ the Villiers, very nice. You are also mutitasking on multiple projects & all are progressing towards a harmonious outcome. Bravo from Indian Territory!

As to white sidewalls and creme tires. When I was young and whitewalls were common I worked during highschool at a full service station. We used kerosene (white gas) to remove any petroleum based marks from tires or car finishes. Road tar and asphalt or heavy grease was easily removed with a shop rag soaked in the poor man's jet fuel. No harm to the paint finish of the times...not sure about the clear coat of today. Now I just use WD40 on a clean cloth & that is the trick...clean spot on the rag & WD40 or kerosene for each greasy spot or it will smear. Once the grease is gone the dirt and non oil based grime can be attacked with a household cleaner and brush, water rinse and armor all. Easiest way I've found. I'd like to hear from others. Rick C.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Rick,
I'm glad you like the Elgin Velocipede. "Multi-tasking and coming to a harmonious outcome"... well, I'd like to think so. It may be more a case of what my mother used to say about me as a little boy having eyes bigger than my stomach and loading food onto my plate beyond the capacity of my stomach and appetite. I still get ahead of myself. On the other hand I do like being able to go from one project to another and not feeling like I'm waiting for leaves to appear on the money tree or for something purchased arriving in the mail. Even broke, I can turn my attention to one of the other bikes and find something that needs doing. And sometimes I just need to back off on something for awhile in order to think about it. Whatever, it is the way I do things. But I do feel a need to finish what I've started and swear off any new projects. Redo an old one maybe. Change engines or drive lines. Give one a new paint job or to recover a seat. But no new projects.

So, once you have your wheels clean you treat them with armor-all? I hadn't thought of that. Yes, it would be good to know what others do to clean their cream tires.
SB

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
What Kind of saddle is that you have there with the springy front bit? Im looking at a Brooks B33 and it loos similar.
How do you like it?

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Cleaning Whitewall Tires. With this, I have many years of experience.
My grandfather was a Cadillac man, then my father... and I have owned more than a dozen. A Cadillac, my friends, must have whitewall tyres.
It wasn't considered "cool" to have whitewalls on anything but a low-rider when I was a youngster, so I got better friends:) Having little guidance on this most important matter, I resorted to anything I could think of; vinegar, dishsoap, white gas, even muriatic acid (which works great on spoke type hub caps).
Assuming no curb has been molesting your whites while you were parking, Dow bathroom cleaner does the job. It comes in a can with a stout cap that stays on, fits easily into the milk crate I keep in the trunk for such things, and does most of the work for you. Spray, wipe, rinse and repeat in direct sunlight, the stuff dries pretty quickly. In a pinch, you can clean carpets, glass, and some interior components too. And if you've saddle soaped, and used neutral polish on the leather (another story) you can clean it too- in a pinch.
Over the years, I have gotten it on 1970's thru 2003 paint, plastic, vinyl and leather, with no adverse effects (usually wiped off quickly). It also does not remove the white 'paint' from your sidewall as others do over time. Should you get a curb-scrub or other mark, remove with white gas, then clean entire tyre face with scrubbing bubbles.
I know this works. I'm sure others have solutions that work as well.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
What Kind of saddle is that you have there with the springy front bit? Im looking at a Brooks B33 and it loos similar.
How do you like it?
Hey Semaj,
It's made in India and imported by Rideable bicycle replica if memory serves, real leather and decent chrome, heavy construction with large copper rivets. Comes with a nice seat tube bracket, which I removed to use a two rail connection to the seat tube dropper/shock. The seat is considerably longer and wider than the Brooks saddles that I've run across.
I'd give it a nod for good quality at under $100. Availabile in dark brown, black & tan. Only ridden it for a few miles total, seems comfy but remember it's mounted on a nitrogen shock seat tube. Didn't try it as just a springer.

Saddle is a replica of a 1800's "Bonecrusher" highwheel bike seat...kinda cool!

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Cleaning Whitewall Tires. With this, I have many years of experience.
My grandfather was a Cadillac man, then my father... and I have owned more than a dozen. A Cadillac, my friends, must have whitewall tyres.
It wasn't considered "cool" to have whitewalls on anything but a low-rider when I was a youngster, so I got better friends:) Having little guidance on this most important matter, I resorted to anything I could think of; vinegar, dishsoap, white gas, even muriatic acid (which works great on spoke type hub caps).
Assuming no curb has been molesting your whites while you were parking, Dow bathroom cleaner does the job. It comes in a can with a stout cap that stays on, fits easily into the milk crate I keep in the trunk for such things, and does most of the work for you. Spray, wipe, rinse and repeat in direct sunlight, the stuff dries pretty quickly. In a pinch, you can clean carpets, glass, and some interior components too. And if you've saddle soaped, and used neutral polish on the leather (another story) you can clean it too- in a pinch.
Over the years, I have gotten it on 1970's thru 2003 paint, plastic, vinyl and leather, with no adverse effects (usually wiped off quickly). It also does not remove the white 'paint' from your sidewall as others do over time. Should you get a curb-scrub or other mark, remove with white gas, then clean entire tyre face with scrubbing bubbles.
I know this works. I'm sure others have solutions that work as well.
Thanks Trey for the recollection and the fine real world experience with what has worked for you on tires. I'd like to hear what others have to contribute on this mundane subject that obviously has troubled at least three of us over the years. I love to spend time building and riding. I also like my bikes and vehicles to look their best, while spending the least amount of time possible to keep them that way. Thanks for the tips. RC

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Weather finally cleared up & roadways clear after 10 1/2" of snow fell overnight couple of days ago...unusual to get that much here. 50 & 60 degree temps melted it all in just two days!

Trying to break in three bikes during the winter is a slow process yet fun. Few photos of the Indian Police Scout attached. The truck is a 1946 Chevy (rare civilian model) in family since new, rat rod I'm working on.

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Scout looks good, but it was hard for me to concentrate focus with that 46 Chevy in the background. You made a new box for it, looks like. It is shorter than stock isn't it? Are you going to use the original fenders? As I recall mine had really big front fenders, running boards and pretty modest fenders in back. It would be interesting with motorcycle type fenders up front. Tear drop headlights. Wish I still had me truck, sniff.
Yes, back to the scout... be nice to have a carrier in back of the truck for it, eh?
SB

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Scout looks good, but it was hard for me to concentrate focus with that 46 Chevy in the background. You made a new box for it, looks like. It is shorter than stock isn't it? Are you going to use the original fenders? As I recall mine had really big front fenders, running boards and pretty modest fenders in back. It would be interesting with motorcycle type fenders up front. Tear drop headlights. Wish I still had me truck, sniff.
Yes, back to the scout... be nice to have a carrier in back of the truck for it, eh?
SB
Sillverbear you're right about the truck box, shop built with a stainless fuel tank below it & your going to love this, old zen master of recycled goodies, fabricated from used stainless sinks...holds about 15 gallons. Fenders, still undecided, but leaning to fenderless & definitely half hood. Tear drops are already in place. Now back to the little Scout, not visible in the truck photo, but have a receiver hitch built into the rear frame for bike carrier or bike trailer!

Trey I'm in a Chevy mode at the moment with two cars and two trucks under construction...all bowties, but I'm fresh off back to back all Ford builds & love the blue ovals also. I'll take some photos of these as backdrops to my bike construction...which after all is the purpose of the forum.

Also I installed an axle hitch to the Indian "Outlaw" build and will take a photo of the little trailer (store bought, not built) attached to the bike. It follows the bike like a little puppy on a leash, can't tell it's behind me.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
It's all looking good. Trailer's are real handy and as you said are hardly noticeable following behind. The one I have is for hauling kids around. My kid has four hairy legs and says "woof".
SB

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Silverbear I can't even imagine the looks you get with the sidecar or trailer & dog. Your buddy's Chriscraft is also a show stopper...I'd love to trail along and watch you two along by the lake in summer. Probably create traffic problems. I always thought hotrods, Harleys and sportscars were lady magnets but I'm thinking the bike, dog in trailer or sidecar is the nuts for an old guy pulling chicks!

The Navaho Indian at the historic 1905 "Rock house" & the mostly Chevy- Chrome Yellow Ford (Blazer 4 wheel drive train, frame and 350 vortec), 212 straight 6's in the two Chevys, both run like new! RC

Attachments