Sportsman Pedal Power

GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
NO NO NO PEDAL POWER seem's to much exercise,but still a great looking bicycle
Don't worry, I can fix it. I got my exercise already. The bike is a tank. It rides nice and the two speed hub works well, but I can already see it will get an engine. Probably the GC160.

Sportsman Pedal Bikes by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Here is the GC160 mount. These engines are rated at 5hp stock. Couple nice upgrades would give 6.5 to 7 hp. I know the chassis can handle it. Should make for a solid performing bike.

Sportsman 160 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Reactions: chainmaker

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Yeah, these frames have lots of room. Easy to work with and components are standardized. Lots of engine choices, too. The Whizzer engine mounts are far along in the design stage. I hope to eventually build another Whizzer engine bike.

Sportsman Pedal Bikes by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Riding impressions for the new blue bike. I ride 26" BMX pretty regular so I can't help but compare the riding experience. Compared to those this bike is heavy. I mostly ride it in low gear except when I have a slope or tail wind. Build up a head of steam, up shift and keep it going as long as you can, then down shift.
Tires. I have tried so many types. The Worksman tires handle great. I run them at 50 psi. These things have total square cut shoulders but are super soft. They handle with the best of them. Weird, huh?
Solid front suspension. First big bike I have tried with solid front end. Works fine. Solid, actually. Big sweeping turns, under a hard load, are no problem. Just muscle it through.
Brakes. Who needs them? It has a front drum but it's not hooked up yet. Just relying on the rear coaster for now. Barely adequete but it does stop the bike.
Seat. So this a Brooks springer I had laying around the shop. Only part on the bike that makes noise. Squeeks during low rpm pulls, otherwise it's fine.
Finally, I'm getting some much needed exercise...........

Last edited: