Sportsman Pedal Power

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Pretty slick. I can see an old Villiars midget (100cc) sitting in that cradle and giving the bike a nice old time look. For that matter the model 1932 Fitchel & Sachs 2 speed motorcycle engine(also at a hundred cc's) would be the cat's meow. I have one on my Hiawatha tri-car that was made in 1934. Your cradle lends itself to mounting any number of vintage motors I would think.
SB

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I have a new china two stroke engine kicking around the shop and figured I might motorize one of my pedal bicycles with it. Since I never added engine mounts to either bicycle and they are already painted I wanted to make a mount system that would be a complete bolt in and also center the smaller engine into the bigger frame opening. Here is what I have so far.

Sportsman Pedal Bicycle by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

There are a couple frame tabs that clamp directly to the frame tubes and carry the main filler plates. From there I built an engine support cradle that is carried by the main plates. The cradle bracket is slotted so the engine can then slide forward or backward to give added chain adjustment. Still a work in progress. I figure with a little thought I can adapt this mount or a similar one to a 79cc HF engine, or some of the other small four strokes and maybe even a Whizzer engine. By using bolt in tabs I can change the engine later if I want without messing up a nice paint job.
Could you turn the frame clamps 90 degrees and use the bolts instead of welding the tabs? Similar to the attached image?

Attachments

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Could you turn the frame clamps 90 degrees and use the bolts instead of welding the tabs? Similar to the attached image?
Yeah, I could, and it would make the install easier! I was messing with that very idea as the precision shaft collar mounts have clamping issues over powder coat, it is very thick, and I couldn't use the collars on any formed area of tube as once it's formed it gets oval shaped in it's cross section. Straps are more forgiving and they kind of look like vintage tabs that were lug mounted. Making the straps was a pain but we figured it out. Here is the improved mount. It might look a bit "industrial", but sometimes beauty is found in simplicity of design. Adding the lower strap made the entire mount system very ridgid. Much improved!

Sportsman Pedal Bike by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Here is a better picture as the sun came out.

Been thinking about putting an engine into the pedal boardie, too. I just picked up a 79cc HF four stroke and figure the bolt-in mount like on the cruiser can be modified to run a vertical mount 79cc HF. Early plan is adding a centrifugal clutch to the Little HF engine then running a primary drive to one of my pedal crank reduction drives. From there the secondary drive will run back to the rear wheel to a sprocket adapter. Still working out those details. Figure it will be a smaller version of my big 233cc race bike!

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Another pedal bicycle coming together. I sure like the cross brace handlebars. Rims are aluminum and anodized black. Turns out it's easy to get parts anodized as there is a shop right here in town. I figure this will get a china two stroke. My wife wants a new two stroke bike.

Sportsman Flyer Pedal Bikes by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Threw on of my sprocket adapters and this frame also has the weld on idler tab.

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
Looking good Pat! I wish I had the resources that you have....I love building projects, but if you do not have the resources they are simply just ideas. I do have the ability to use our mill, lathe, and press here at work, but it is very, very limited as to when I can use them.

Great bike and mount system!!

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Updates on the conversion of one of my pedal bikes to four stroke power. This is a HF79cc Predator. I am trying to keep this a low cost build. Nothing fancy anywhere, just an off the shelf $100 engine. The plan is for a very reliable bike that is easy to start and has the durability to ride long distances on a daily basis.

Here's where things did get a little fancy. I was able to modify my proven 212cc reduction drive system to the narrower offset of the 79cc engine. This required changes to the primary drive offset, secondary drive offset, and even the pedal side. By mixing and matching components from my two current systems, Bonneville Flyer and Sportsman 200, I was able to make it all work. Feeding back to the narrow 110mm rear hub was a challenge, but it works and everything lines up perfectly to my standard sprocket adapter.

Intake manifold. The carb is a 19mm Mikuni. Manifold is a simple 90 degree elbow and two flanges. Quick and easy to make.

Digging around the shop I found this china two stroke muffler. I had another elbow and a couple flanges so I made this quick and effective adapter from the engine head to the off the shelf muffler. This will change later to a one piece design but for now I have a pipe to start testing the bike.

Last edited:

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Here is the two stroke bike converted over to boardie configuration. I removed the cruiser bars and added the Indian style boardie bars, then swapped the Brooks saddle for a Mesinger style black leather boardie saddle. Easy to switch back and forth.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Bump for an old thread. Thought you guys might like to see a new pedal bike. This one has panel tanks, two speed kickback, and my new truss forks.

Sportsman Super Tanker by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Nice shot of the completed bike.

Panel tank door open.

Closeup shot of the closed panel door, truss forks and satin finish light blue paint. I really like how the paint came out. I have three solid engine options now. China two stroke, HF79cc four stroke, and the big GC160. Bike handles well with a solid fork. Really, this bike is a tank!

.Sportsman Super Tanker by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr