Motorcycle Cannonball 2012

GoldenMotor.com

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
I followed this closely in 2010, but then was a little disappointed when I discovered they canceled the proposed 2011 run.

But, Yeah! They’re back this year!

http://www.motorcyclecannonball.com/

And they’ve increased the manufacture date to 1929, I imagine this will be much easier to manage that the previous 1915 date.

Looks like this years route might actually pass through my town- I couldn’t be more excited!!!

-Kirk

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Shame they don't accept motorized bicycle replicas up to 1929....... Maybe Bird can aim for next years cannonball with his 1926 Harley engine and do us all proud! Or maybe Louie McCann with his Miami bike..... Anyone else here have a bike that would be eligible? It would be so cool to take part or even witness.... You're a lucky man MrB having them pass through your town. I hope you take your Excelsior and camera and post pics for us less fortunate

bird

Dec 5, 2011
prunedale, CA
Shame they don't accept motorized bicycle replicas up to 1929....... Maybe Bird can aim for next years cannonball with his 1926 Harley engine and do us all proud! Or maybe Louie McCann with his Miami bike..... Anyone else here have a bike that would be eligible? It would be so cool to take part or even witness.... You're a lucky man MrB having them pass through your town. I hope you take your Excelsior and camera and post pics for us less fortunate
I have already made plans:) I will just have the bike freight shipped to family in NY and buy a one way flight. Id imagine making a large saddle bag for parts, plugs, tools, ect. (Definitely not a cheap endeavor, but on my t-do list before college) I will be watching at this years finish line.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Mr.B,
Saw this on the site and thought that if anyone wanted to know what it was like to ride a motorcycle a hundred years ago they should read this story.

Steve.

http://www.motorcyclecannonball.com...ntent&view=section&layout=blog&id=6&Itemid=58
Yep, this site cost me some fab time on my new project yesterday... "-)

I have already made plans:)
Someone really should put some cameras on this event-

It would made a far better reality show than anything else out there!

-Kirk

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Why don't we just have our own "Cannonball" for motorized bikes? We have the fan base, the web site, the equipment to do a long marathon ride. All we need is tough riders and sponsors. We could have the China Girl class, the Four Stroke Class, and Whizzer class. Due to the speed of our machines we should do a shorter version for time constraints. Say San Francisco to Los Angeles. We would need slouch trailers to pick up break downs. If we have a one year lead time window I will do it. i would need to schedule it around a vacation.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
That sounds like a great idea Cobrafreak, I would be in for sure if it wasn't so much to get a plane ticket and bike freighted over to the U.S :-(

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Brisbane to LAX costs $800us to $1400us... RT
No clue abt the airfreight! lol

I just gotta say them fellows are tough!
300 miles a day is hard! MOF, I once did it for a living.
That's how I know... The task was 300 miles in an 8hr shift, in mixed traffic.

And doing it on old timey iron would be a real accomplishment.

They really have my respect completing a run like that !

It would be a wonderful task for someone to plan out a route, possibly hitting as many states as possible during the run, and most likely staying AWAY from mountainous terrain. lol

IMO 200 miles would be tops that could be expected from a motorized bicycle on an extended run? and probably abt 150 miles would be more realistic for a fun-run.

...gonna NEED chase vehicles... (trailer equipped) and probably camping supplies.

Best
rc

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Harry, I was just over at that Cannonball website...
they have videos under the Hall of Fame heading, on the right hand of the page.
first one is 'Victor Boocock Attacks Austin Summit'.

Whew!

u gotta watch that vid...
rc

stromberg97

Aug 2, 2012
United States
Someone really should put some cameras on this event-

It would made a far better reality show than anything else out there!

-Kirk[/QUOTE]

Someone has filmed this event. I have the DVD it's called "White Knuckle". I have it and it's a very well made documentary. One of the guys only has one leg and he rebuilds his engine halfway through the race using a tractor connecting rod. How cool is that. This is where you can get it. http://atomichotrods.com/Atomic_Hot_Rods/DVDs.html

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
I got the dvd and watched it last night, good stuff!

As the 2010 rally was going on I noticed blue painted Indian using Thick Brick bicycle tires...

Turns out that was Sean Brayton’s 1911 Single, he’s interviewed in the video and discusses how may rear tires he went through... Ha! Interesting!

-Kirk