Adding gears?

GoldenMotor.com

Fogcity123

Jul 21, 2013
SF East Bay
New to this. I'm sure it doesn't work this way but can someone explain why a gear hub (or whatever it's called - gears set internally in the rear hub) wouldn't make these motorized bikes have more then one gear? Also, what is a two speed "kickback" hub?

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
The geared hubs do give the bike more than one gear and the ability to shift. Theres also the Sick Bike Parts shift kit that runs the engines power thru the bikes normal pedal drive chain and allows you to shift the rear derailleur. I use the SBP shift kit giving my bike 8 gears. The geared hubs dont handle much power though. Im running an SBP shift kit with a KTM clone and its holding up to the power so far.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I will refer you to the epistle of the late Sheldon Brown, patron saint of bicycle knowledge. The link for internal gear hubs (like Nexus) didn't work. Here is a link to the writings of St. Sheldon. Click on Bicycle Technical Info and find some great info.
http://sheldonbrown.com/

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
New to this. I'm sure it doesn't work this way but can someone explain why a gear hub (or whatever it's called - gears set internally in the rear hub) wouldn't make these motorized bikes have more then one gear? Also, what is a two speed "kickback" hub?
Are you referring to an motorized bicycle with left-side sprocket? Gears won't work with the engine unless you use the right-side sprocket.

If you could reverse the hub, it will only freewheel.

Fogcity123

Jul 21, 2013
SF East Bay
So it would only work if you, perhaps, install the engine reversly and forgo the pedals all together?
Also, the other question, how does the "kick back" system work when referring to an internal hub two speed?