A little backward - Ordered the engine first!

GoldenMotor.com

zenshin

May 6, 2011
Silver City, NM
Hi and thanks in advance.

I ordered a 4G T belt drive 4 stroke and now I need help finding the best bike. So many choices - Cruiser, Hybrid, MB - One gear, many gears? HD brakes, tire size, handlebar shape etc etc? Fairly expensive frame or el cheapo from WM? I don't mind paying $400- $500 or so but if the cheap ones make the best match, status decals aren't important to me.

What a great forum!

Cordially,

Zenshin

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
In your price range you may find you can get a mediocre to good bike from wallmart, or a really nice used one from craigslist or w/e with some patience & looking around... if you've a good bike shop there's a chance ya could find a sweet deal on a trade in.

Personally? I'd rather get a used $1000 bike for 1/2 price than a new wallyworld bike any day of the week lol - but it all depends on what you want ofc, cruisers, mountain, choppers, vintage, etc - they all make sweet rides, yer call ;)

BTW "A little backward - Ordered the engine first!" isn't backwards in my opinion, with the engine on hand you'll know exactly what you'll need in a frame size (^)

zenshin

May 6, 2011
Silver City, NM
Thanks to both of you. Every bit of information helps.

I started out with the idea that a hybrid would be the answer. I've read a lot of posts and talked to a few people and sort of got shifted to a one speed cruiser along the way. You're two posts make me think, as I did originally, that the quality of a cheap, heavy steel frame isn't up to the strain of motoring. I chose the 4 stroke so I'd get less vibration and more reliability and, so far, that seems to be a good choice.

But, one fellow told me that I'd have to bend the rear forks to get the drive gears on, which, if true would eliminate a good set of gears for me, as I don't think the designers would approve. Then there is tire size. Doesn't seem that MB tread is the best choice for the pavement but, I can see that cheap rims are not going to be round after a few shocks.

Still hoping for a good overall view. Also, I'm in rural NM and don't have the luxury of city buying and great used bikes.

Have fun,

Zenshin

Hi and thanks in advance.

I ordered a 4G T belt drive 4 stroke and now I need help finding the best bike. So many choices - Cruiser, Hybrid, MB - One gear, many gears? HD brakes, tire size, handlebar shape etc etc? Fairly expensive frame or el cheapo from WM? I don't mind paying $400- $500 or so but if the cheap ones make the best match, status decals aren't important to me.

What a great forum!

Cordially,

Zenshin
Where did you order your engine from?

zenshin

May 6, 2011
Silver City, NM
I saw a thread about the virtues of Worksman bicycles. Does anyone have an opinion on their bikes. I didn't think coaster brakes were compatible with bike engines.

Still looking for a good overview of what's needed and what works best with the $G T belt drive 4 stroke.