GoldenMotor.com

jeanpi

Nov 9, 2012
west palm beach, florida
I'm new to this forum, i just finished building my second bike saturday, but my first 1 has me a bit confused, it only runs at full power with the choke up, i don't know if it's because i might have an air leak, or if im put in my break in gas from the other bike in the old 1, (16:1 mixture), i have a new ngk spark plug witch is gapped at .30 of an inch, i go to school for automotive technology, my teacher told me put some carb cleaner into the carberator while it's at idle and rev it a little, i did and got rid of allot of old carbon build up, but i saw right there where the carburator is connected to the intake i saw some carb cleaner coming out through just a bit not much, im a bit confused and want to fix the issue, i think with a new carburator i'll be good rather then rebuilding it because i already cleaned it the other day

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Welcome, it does sound like a air leak. If the carb is tight try sealing around the intake with rtv or yellow type glue, it might not look good but will let you know if that's the problem. As for the fuel mix 24/1 is what most of us run in a new engine for a couple of tanks then 32/1 or maybe 40/1 with a synthetic or semi synthetic oil.

jeanpi

Nov 9, 2012
west palm beach, florida
okay thanks sounds good, im going to try that out nd change my oil to 32/1 cutting my 8ounzes in half to 4, since this engine has already been broken into, im using yamalube all performance 2stoke 2s oil witch, is synthetic, meaning i'll be running rich, would the ngk go bad as quick as the generic chinese spark plugs, idk its my first time using these ngk's

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The ngk b6hs withe the gap at 26 to 28 works well in most, I run the bp5hs which has the existented tip and is one step hotter. The hotter plug helps in cooler weather.

jeanpi

Nov 9, 2012
west palm beach, florida
did you mean your using the b5hs, if so im using the b5hs as well, but i live in west palm beach florida, its fairly humid down here and always hot, would that affect my spark plug and my mixture once i go to 32:1