The Kulana Moon Dog 11/2013

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
This bike looks different now and needs some more changes to get it back to looking like I want it to look but the engine is still running strong and it's still a pleasure to ride.

As with all my bikes it stays dusty and dirty most of the time, just one of the benefits to living in the country and having a few miles of white dusty rough roads to ride before pavement is ever seen, I'll take the dirt any day over living in a town or city and here I have a good excuse for my stuff not to be clean...LOL

Just a short vid I took with the pipe I had on this bike at the time, ran good and sounded good but those expansion pipes are just to big on a bike for me and my header pipe is only abot 5/8" ID which works great for torque at low rpm and even good medium rpm power but it doesn't allow the engine to breathe as good as it needs to for good top speed performance so I pulled it off and plan to build a larger header for it at some point and see what I can get out of it then.

http://youtu.be/Q97qlrxCRxU

Map

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Re: The Kulana Moon Dod 11/2013

The very first MB I built, in 2008, was a Kulana. It wasn't a Moon Dog. It was a 24 inch single speed.

And it seems like most everyone was building Moon Dogs. The orange ones first, later the green ones.

Then the Moon Dog, Kulana too for that matter, seems to have disappeared.

I wonder if Pacific Bicycle hasn't killed the brand.

Reactions: mapbike

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

The very first MB I built, in 2008, was a Kulana. It wasn't a Moon Dog. It was a 24 inch single speed.

And it seems like most everyone was building Moon Dogs. The orange ones first, later the green ones.

Then the Moon Dog, Kulana too for that matter, seems to have disappeared.

I wonder if Pacific Bicycle hasn't killed the brand.
I wish they would bring this bike back in multiple colors and make the same set up in a coaster brake model and use heavy spoke wheels with Shimano hub and sell them for about $40-$50 more than the Huffy bikes...

This would be one of the best low cost bike for our Hobby, the frames are beefy and they're the slightly stretched out frames which give more leg room and make mounting the HT engines a breeze, I have another of these bikes setting in the shop, same color and all, a little rougher than the one I ride so it needs a paint job, but the wheels are good and true and I picked it up at a pawn shop for $10 because it had a cracked and blown out rear tire, they just wanted to get rid of it, I'd like to find ore of these frames at a good price but these are the only two of these bikes I've ever seen around here.

I like these frames, mine look to have real good welds and feel really solid going down the road, I'm thinking about possibly doing a 4 stroker build with one of the HF 79cc engines I have still in the box, but i haven't decided yet since I have a couple other bikes that would be a good candidate for the 79cc 4 smoker also, it will all depend on how much time I have to mess with it, the china girls are a much faster build and just so easy to work with.

Map

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

I've always liked the name. Makes me think of the 60s beach party movies with Franky and Annette. And yours sounds good too. It reminds me of the Harley Hummer I had when I was fourteen.

Thanks, Shan. Made me smile.

Tom

Reactions: mapbike

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Tom it always makes me think of the Beach Boys or about Hawaii... I like the name also, its what I call a fun name.

yeah this bike does sound good I think also, it runs great too, this engine was my first dax of the four I have and with the port work I did to the jug I had and a well tuned RT carb it willcomfortably cruise at low to mid 40's all day....

If every HT engine I ever have from this point on runs as good as this one I'll be a happy camper.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Does that pipe not burn your leg ?????? I would think you would have to have
a heat guard.
Fly
nah... no burn issue, firs off I dont have that pipe on that bike now because I need to make a larger ID haveader pipe for it, but even when I did run it, I ride with my left foot forward all the time so I had plenty of room between me and the pipe, I dont wear girly pants/shorts....lol... so I always have jeans on and id have to get against it for a few seconds before it will burn through my jeans.

Now the people who dont have better since than to ride with shorts made need a guard to help prevent a burn.

map