The Michigan Shuffle

GoldenMotor.com

Lightning Boy

Apr 19, 2014
Michigan
I spent my entire Monday attempting to register my chainsaw bikes, to no avail.

Here's how it went: I got there bright and early so I'd only have to wait an hour or so in line. I expected that. Our local branch is always full to the hilt.

Once I got to the counter, neither clerk knew exactly how to help me. Quite the song and dance number trying to figure out exactly what I had to do. After a lot of confusion and misunderstandings, I was given a moped registration form and equipment inspection slip and told to go to the police station.

Upon arrival at the police station, the woman at the desk seemed genuinely upset that I interrupted her water cooler conversation. She picked the phone up as if to do something, then told me to go to the Sheriff's department. "We don't do that here", she said. (Funny that's where I went for my inspection on my car...)

The Sheriff's office is under construction along with the rest of the county building, so I had to park two blocks away and risk my bike being stolen, only to be told to go back to the police station.

I've got all the required equipment, I followed all the rules, and still- got me nowhere.

If they don't want to be bothered to do their jobs, I understand now why this city is in such rough shape. If they didn't plan to give me a plate in the first place, they could have at least been upfront about it.

I'm only trying to follow the law, and avoid trouble on my bike. I was very patient and nice about this whole thing, but I feel like an entire day of my life was wasted. I can't get that back. I don't have a week to stand in various lines only to be denied anyway. Michigan, you can shove that moped plate.

Sep 4, 2012
America's Hi-five
I spent my entire Monday attempting to register my chainsaw bikes, to no avail.

Once I got to the counter, neither clerk knew exactly how to help me.

I followed all the rules, and still- got me nowhere.
FWIW, Secretary of state is not the place to go to ask ANYTHING. You have to go in knowing what you want with the right forms filled out already. Don't give them time to think, that always leads to more forms = go away. They don't have to ask if there is a chainsaw powering it. They don't have to ask for an inspection form if they think it's a moped, which they should assume if you have a moped reg. form filled out. Try the next city over. Be nice and smile. Remember, you have a moped not a chainsaw powered bike. Imagine what they had a mental picture of if you told them that. Good luck!

When I went, all I had was a:
1) "bill of sale" (you're on your own for that one)
2) correctly filled out legible moped registration form
3) drivers license
4) smile and a haircut.

it may be helpful if your bike was older, pre 80-ish stuff had some wacky vin numbers back then compared to now don't they. Kind of a lot like a bike serial number.

Last edited:

Lightning Boy

Apr 19, 2014
Michigan
Thanks, turnoff- I avoided mentioning it, until they asked why I had no serial number for the engine. I had to explain it was a moped I constructed, then they tried to pull the assembled vehicle shtick. Another twenty minutes of debate.

I have a distant relative that manages the place, but everyone else gives me crap. I'm never lucky enough to draw her at the counter...

Full disclosure: just got a hair cut, too. That and a smile didn't help at all. I know this is a tightrope act.

I filled out the moped form, but they still wanted an inspection no one wants to be bothered with. I haven't had any trouble since I built them, and I respectfully ride by police all the time. I tried to do the right thing, but I suppose I'll take my chances with them.

Sep 4, 2012
America's Hi-five
I've been frustrated on a handful of occasions, but ultimately I think I could title a dog as a car by now. If you decide to try again make sure you have that serial number, its not for the engine, its for the "moped" Avoid the assembled vehicle runaround if you can. that lasts forever in limbo. Happy riding however you do it.

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
Title a dog as a car, lol, now I've heard it all.

My own 2 cents on this.. people have tried to register these before and always end up in a goose chase that leads nowhere because there is no definition for a motorized bicycle in the eyes of the law. Sometimes I even worry that it might "raise awareness" of these mo-bikes and then they will be illegal for sure.

About the DMV or almost every other place these days... It no longer pays to be clean cut and friendly. Talking to people these days is like talking to robots. Remember the guy who was so unsatisfied by the "real person" on the phone that he demanded to talk to the automated system instead?

Good luck though, and keep us posted.

Sep 4, 2012
America's Hi-five
Title a dog as a car, lol, now I've heard it all.

My own 2 cents on this.. people have tried to register these before and always end up in a goose chase that leads nowhere because there is no definition for a motorized bicycle in the eyes of the law. Sometimes I even worry that it might "raise awareness" of these mo-bikes and then they will be illegal for sure.

About the DMV or almost every other place these days... It no longer pays to be clean cut and friendly. Talking to people these days is like talking to robots. Remember the guy who was so unsatisfied by the "real person" on the phone that he demanded to talk to the automated system instead?

Good luck though, and keep us posted.
Really, I do see both sides of the argument of whether to be a moped or not, and I don't disagree with either choice. As of now, the laws let me choose which direction I can go because they are not clearly defined. For me, I have some peace of mind that I am legal in someones eyes, and the moped fee is reasonable to me. Personally, I believe that we need to become recognized legally, or we are easily interpreted as illegal. If the state doesn't make money off of us, they will make it illegal eventually.

Lightning Boy

Apr 19, 2014
Michigan
The real peach is: they do classify motorized bicycles as mopeds here, in the eyes of the law. They just don't want to give you the plate to do it.

I was well read and prepared on the topic, but I seemed to know more of the particulars of the moped law than they did. All they wanted to do was argue with me, and send me somewhere else.

I could have easily just went about my business, and never even bothered with it. I chose to attempt registration, thinking it would save trouble. Instead, it manufactured even more.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2012
America's Hi-five
Where are you anyways? If you are around dearborn I can steer you towards some friendlier sos's.
Also, the only time I had an inspection by a cop, it took forever. like 4 hrs wait for 10 min of looking and form filling. You are right when you think they don't want to be bothered. I use a short staffed underpaid city police office for that one, on purpose.

Sep 4, 2012
America's Hi-five
speaking of grumpy cops... Got pulled over for the first time by a sheriff, loudspeaker: "pull that thing over" :)
Short story is that he did not see my registration sticker. He was looking to find no brakelight or running light. He was surprised to see one. Let me go without too much hassle.

Made me think of you, how easy to get pulled over without the tag, so difficult to get one.

Lightning Boy

Apr 19, 2014
Michigan
Good story, Turnoff! I pass police cars almost daily, and haven't had much attention at all. They pulled up beside me as I got home one day, just looking it over... But haven't said a word to me yet. I fully expect it any time.

I'm still trying to find one parked somewhere, so I can politely ask them for a quick inspection. I know better than to poke a bear with a stick, but all the run around I've been through is for the birds. I'm going to try to communicate the hoops and red tape I'm jumping through trying to be legal, and appeal to reason. Hopefully they don't seize my bike, but I have no better ideas in light of this situation.

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
i got this from another forums hope it helps;this is what i did for a assembled moped sticker,

The State of Michigan's DMV says my MB is classified as a moped in this state. A moped is defined by the State of Michigan as a unit that meets all of the following:

A - The engine does not exceed 50 cc's piston displacement
B - The engine is rated at 2.0 Hp or less
C - The power drive system does not require the operator to shift gears and
D - The top speed is 30 miles per hour or less on a level surface

Michigan requires mopeds to be registered upon purchase and then again every 3 years unless they are used on private property only.

A decal is provided that is to be displayed on the rear of the vehicle. (This sticker is vertically long and horizontally narrow, so a rear fender, or some sort of way of mounting the sticker is needed. It must be visible to law enforcement.)

That said, the first thing I was missing were OWNERSHIP papers to go with my MB. Once I explained that I'd put the engine on myself, they gave me the paperwork I'll need to get a VIN assigned to my bike. I can't register it, they explain..without a VIN, and they can't issue me a VIN until it's been deemed road worthy.

So starting from a bike and a motor..this is what the DMV says I need to do to get my MB registered and legal on public roads in Michigan:

==-------------------------------------------------------------------==
1. Equip it with the following:

a) Front and rear brakes capable of stopping the vehicle safely CHECK
b) A horn capable of being heard from 200 feet away
c) A rear view mirror (some sources say left side mirror, some say rear view mirror. Left side should cover both bases.)
d) A headlight mounted 24 to 54 inches from ground height powerful enough to illuminate objects 100 feet away
e) A tail light
f) A brake light is
g) A muffler The inspection sheet (more on that in a second) check box says: [] Exhaust system (good working order, no excessive noise or annoying smoke) So I packed my muffler tube with fiberglass screen til I pass inspection just to be safe. CHECK
h) A permanently mounted seat (Apparently my butt doesn't count since the seat has to be permanently mounted to the moped and not the rider.) CHECK
i ) Handlebars which are no higher than 15 inches from the lowest point of the seat to the highest point of the hand grips CHECK

* The items marked CHECK should be on your MB already.
==-------------------------------------------------------------------==

2. Take the vehicle to be inspected by the local police.

The DMV provided me with a green form that has a checklist. They also provided me with a separate piece of paper that has the specific equipment list for mopeds. This is important, because the inspection checklist does NOT have a section for mopeds, so the officer will have to use the motorcycle section. That section lists extra equipment that is NOT required on mopeds. Make sure you make that obvious to the officer. I highlighted only the required moped equipment on the motorcycle checklist with a highlighter so the cop wouldn't be asking me for DOT tires and license plate light. Also there is no VIN, so make sure the officer is aware of the fact that the inspection is for the purpose of issuing a VIN.

==------------------------------------------------------------------==

3. Return the signed inspection sheet to the DMV and apply for a VIN.

Apparently, this is the part that takes the most time. 3 - 5 weeks is what I was told because it has to be done manually. I have no idea what that means, but I'll take their word for it.

==------------------------------------------------------------------==

4. Once the MB has a VIN, it can be registered and legally ridden by a licensed driver (no motorcycle endorsement required.)

There is a special moped license for people who have no license. The special moped license is NOT available if your license is suspended or revoked.

You will receive a large sticker that is to be displayed on the back of your MB. It will expire April 30 of the year displayed on the sticker.

No insurance is required.

No helmet is required for riders over the age of 19.

Lightning Boy

Apr 19, 2014
Michigan
Again, I have all the required equipment. Both my bikes would pass an inspection.

I know the process, and followed it to the best of my ability. I can't get any of them to inspect, and every station sends me to another. (I have those same papers you speak of, though.) Without that, I can't get the VIN or a sticker. I have the filled out paperwork, and a big brick wall. Just a never ending, nonsensical circle. Thanks for the help, Oldpot.