Newbie Issues. Huge, HUGE newbie issues.

GoldenMotor.com

Should I switch to cruiser? I REALLY want it to work on this bike.

• Yes, you should.

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • No, not necessary.

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
Nov 23, 2013
Riverside, CA
Hi everyone!

I'm new to this whole motorized bike thing. I saw them being done on the Internet and I thought I would try it myself. The bike I ride is a Pure-Fix Juliet. It's one of those cheap road bikes I got at my LBS.
I have absolutely zero prior knowledge about these engine kits, aside from what I've seen on YouTube and on this forum.
After buying the engine kit (Flaming Horse 80cc black), I immediately wanted to start building it.
I ran into problems:
1) The pedals are too close together and they scrape the sides of the engine. (I suppose I could grind off the parts of the pedal crank arms that hit the engine...)
2) Main problem. The rear wheel is too close to the frame for me to mount the engine in the proper position. scratg

My questions are:
A) Would it work if I mounted the engine upside-down? Or rather, do you guys have any suggested solutions? I tried to show you guys through my pictures.
B) Can this engine kit even work on my bike or should I just switch to my old beach cruiser?

I wouldn't bring these ridiculous questions to you guys unless I was desperate. I swear I'm not trolling. Call me an idiot if you want; I just don't know where else to ask.

Anyone by pure chance in the Inland Empire, CA area? :(

I hope my uploaded pictures help.

Attachments

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
It looks like you could add a couple links to the bicycle chain and move the wheel back. The engine won't run inverted that way.

I'm with Wayne on moving the wheel back.

The engine will run in the inverted position as long as the carb float is level (looks like you could just flip the intake manifold. 2 cycles really don't care about the orientation of the cylinder. However, you'd have a much harder time routing the engine drive chain with it like that --- but it would make an interesting 'punk steam' presentation!!

Good luck in your project!!

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
While I think you could possibly get it mounted in this frame, I would not suggest it for a new builder. It will require customizing to work.
I'd suggest simply finding a more conventional bike to mount it on. Most beach cruiser type bikes will accept an engine much easier than your road bike, and mountain bikes are easy to motorize as well.
Getting it to work reliably will be much easier if you use a different bike.
As far as the upside-down mounting...it will work just fine if you mount the carb level and if the chain line is straight and unobstructed.
You will need to custom build a pipe and intake manifold for this orientation, but two-stroke engines don't care about angles as long as they get proper fuel mixture.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
That frame looks to be designed with super tight tire clearances. I feel with that frame, new problems will arise as you solve the existing ones. Put the motor in a cruiser or mountain bike if you want to run a motor kit.
Don't get me wrong. I enjoy fixies and ss road bikes. I trained for the MS 150 on my fixie. I just think its not a good candidate for a first time motorizer.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
How are your metal working skills and what equipment/tools do you have? An engine could be mounted in that frame but it will not be a bolt-in appliaction. You're going to need custom made engine mounts or extend the rear drop outs to move the rear wheel back. Either method will require some welding or at least metal skills.

As for mounting up-side-down, yes, the engine will run that way if the carburetor is flipped over and mounted level but your chain path is going to be the biggest hurdle. The chain and drive sprocket are designed to have the chain exit the case toward the rear, not up.

I'd start looking for a better candidate for an engine. That one is going to be a challenge. Good alternatives are common and cheap. Good luck. Let us know what you decide to do.

Tom

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Consider the upside down mount for a moment. When I first saw that photo I thought, "You could run that drive chain to the bicycle's rear chain rings! With the derailleur, you'd have a multi-gear transmission".

But then it occurred to me that the engine's rotation would be reversed.

But.....two strokes can run backward, can't they? I believe they can.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Consider the upside down mount for a moment. When I first saw that photo I thought, "You could run that drive chain to the bicycle's rear chain rings! With the derailleur, you'd have a multi-gear transmission".

But then it occurred to me that the engine's rotation would be reversed.

But.....two strokes can run backward, can't they? I believe they can.
Yes they can. I used to own a Jawa 125 that would do that at the most inappropriate moments.

Nov 23, 2013
Riverside, CA
My metal working skills are...beginner? I have a dremel with a bunch of heads (can cut/drill metal), and I have a bunch of basic tools like wrenches, allen wrenches, screwdrivers, hammers, etc. etc... I also have a bunch of little knick-knacks like clamps and such.
I don't have the $$ to drop on something like a new engine.
Do you think I could do it though? With some rednecking in my garage? I don't want to F#&* anything up either haha.

Also, if I want to keep you guys updated, do I post more on this thread or make a new thread?

Thanks! For now, I'm going to think about my options and tinker a little before I decide on something.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Looking at your pics, I think Wayne is right and the first thing I would try is moving the wheel back.

If the cranks are just barely scraping, I would try bending them. Replacing them is an option as well. That is just what I would try.

There is always a way. I really do suggest this and is actually a lot of fun and amazingly productive. When not pressed for time, take a cup of coffee or a beer and just sit and ponder while sitting and looking at your bike. Don't rush it just relax and think.
I know it sounds nutz but it really works and is very relaxing.

Please do keep updating right here. What you come up with and end up doing will help the next person with the same situation.

LOL, now I really wanna do an upside down build.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Looked at your pics again. Are the studs touching the wheel and is that the problem?

Can shorten them with a hack saw or get new, shorter ones at a hardware store.

Just thoughts. Looking forward to seeing your build.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
That bike would look great with one of those light weight electric friction drives, but I realize he has comitted his available funds to the China girl engine.

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
After looking at pics of the fixie several times and readint all post in this thread I can give what I would call an educated suggestion, I voted es that you should find yourself a cruiser bike for the build, the bike you have here can be motorized no doubt but its not gonna be nearly as good of a build as you can have with even and inexpensive beach cruiser bike.

Keep the fixie for a pedal bike are sell it and get yourself either a cruiser bike or a mountain bike with the right type frame for the engine to mount in.

Be wishes and I look forward to seeing your bike come together.

Map .wee.