Cranbrook build?

GoldenMotor.com

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
I am in the process of building a Huff Berry and have a couple of questions: I got the bike for free it is a few years old I think with zero miles on it. It is the blue and cream version with painted wheels. The frame and wheels are steel. I am not sure of what kind of problems I will run into with this build. The engine is on order and should be here in a day or two (stinger sd).
Is the coaster brake arm going to be a problem? Is a front disk brake a realistic idea? Or will the caliper type work as well? The rims are painted will that effect braking if I use a rim grip caliper. There is no front brake on the bike, do I need one? My thought is I do.
The bike was rusty I used navel jelly to de-rust it. It cleaned up pretty well. I got a cable driven speedometer, center stand and lay back seat post from Amazon.com I am going for a vintage look. This is my second bike build and do have experience in fabrication and machine building. This is a cheap bike and I usually do not like cheap equipment. I read all sorts of good and bad stuff about the Huffy Cranbrook. It really doesn't look like a "bad" bike I have not ridden it at all.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Don't expect that cable speedo to live very long. These kits burn them down fairly quick. Stick with cheap stuff instead of expensive vintage stuff. Just my 2cents.

donb4103

Oct 7, 2011
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Jim C you can make it into a very good bike with a few new items. You have to change pedals,tubes, and all of the bearings. Those items are pure crap. Get them replaced and then you will have a very dependable bike. At least as dependable as the china girl you hang on it.

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
Someone said "You have to change pedals,tubes, and all of the bearings. Those items are pure crap." I might as well throw it away. I will go with what I have and see what happens.
The motor came yesterday, I did a pre fit and am in the process of building a front motor mount. I want to use the Huffy chain guard. If I buy a front rim grip brake will it work with the painted rim? Will it take the paint off? I like the painted rims it goes with the look I want.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
The paint on the rims will affect your brake pads. If you get softer pads, the paint will make them wear extremely fast. If you get harder pads, they will scratch the paint and eventually start to wear the rim down. It is for this reason that I gave up on rim brakes and switched to a front drum on my Cranbrook.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
A front brake is a good idea but it will wear the painted rim unless you go disc or drum. You should also remove the fenders or beef up the mounts because they will fail quickly under the vibration these engines produce. You don't need to replace the bearings unless they fail but you should go through the entire bike and grease and adjust them all properly.If this is your first kit, I also suggest you replace the cheap china chain that comes with the kits. It is the single weakest part of the build as it is shipped.

JimsFelt66

Jul 17, 2012
California
The paint on the rims will affect your brake pads. If you get softer pads, the paint will make them wear extremely fast. If you get harder pads, they will scratch the paint and eventually start to wear the rim down. It is for this reason that I gave up on rim brakes and switched to a front drum on my Cranbrook.
For someone that is on a budget and doesn't mind removing the paint on the rims braking surface. You can remove the paint and leave a nice brake pad friendly smooth polished surface with a dremel abrasive wheel, part number 500. I did this on my son's bike with great effect. Yes, you end up with silver sided rims that are still painted everywhere else.

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessories/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=500

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
For someone that is on a budget and doesn't mind removing the paint on the rims braking surface. You can remove the paint and leave a nice brake pad friendly smooth polished surface with a dremel abrasive wheel, part number 500. I did this on my son's bike with great effect. Yes, you end up with silver sided rims that are still painted everywhere else.

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessories/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=500
At the time that I was having trouble with brake pads, I didnt know that it was the paint. I'm actually on a pretty tight budget with my bike myself. I got a Worksman front wheel with drum brake at a rally for $35, so it wasn't a bad deal, and its a great brake.

JimsFelt66

Jul 17, 2012
California
At the time that I was having trouble with brake pads, I didnt know that it was the paint. I'm actually on a pretty tight budget with my bike myself. I got a Worksman front wheel with drum brake at a rally for $35, so it wasn't a bad deal, and its a great brake.
Oh for $35 I'd do that too. Unfortunately, being in a small town I don't see many "part" deals I can take advantage of.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I just happened to get lucky that day. I took some spare parts with me to the rally, hoping to sell or trade them. I didn't go there expecting to find a Worksman wheel at a price that the spare parts would get me to. I was looking to trade for a nice pipe or maybe a few other things. I got there and saw the wheel for $35, and I jumped on it. I sold all the parts I could, and made $30 from them. I had to borrow $5, and I paid that back a few days later. It was definitely worth it.