ktm-50 "crate motor" wont start

GoldenMotor.com

blckwlfny1

Jul 14, 2010
new york
i am in the final stages of my build and i am using a ktm-50 49cc aftermarket "crate" motor (claims 9-10 hp) from martin and slater. i have never seen it run before.
i have installed an exhaust with a muffler and a 2.75" expansion chamber. i am using the carburetor that came with the motor
It wont start.
i turned on the fuel, kicked the starter repeatedly (i can hear the piston moving and i later confirmed that it pumps air in and out when in tried it with spark plug out)
...just no ignition
opened choke
...no difference
i pulled the plug and it was wet with fuel. i let the whole thing dry out, rmoved plug, shut petcock, kickstarted a few times, and let it sit for 1 hr.
checked and changed spark plug. and wire ...good spark
checked fuel... definate flow
i replaced the plug kickstarted and....
..nothing!!! no ignition whatsoever onmly the sound if the piston moving
help????
thanks

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
If you have "good spark" and gas is going in then it should fire.

Did you mean a good spark plug? Or did you see a good spark when you laid the plug on the motor and kicked?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Next step, try a plug from a different batch, with the correct gap. We're assuming here that the flywheel is in the correct position on the shaft to spark when it's meant to.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
When it does start (which it will), look out! That's gonna be a screamer and a handfull with that much little powerful engine. Make sure you're running the right mixture of fuel and oil for that engine or it will be very short lived.

dnut