China Girl Motor Crankshaft Runout Video

GoldenMotor.com

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Re: China Girl Crankshaft Runout Video

What are the operational effects of this runout?

Thx
Russell

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

So how do you fix that runout?
Sand it, grind it, bend it?
JB weld?

Do tell!
Basically you locate the high spot on the shaft, and then you figure out where you need to whack the flywheel with a hammer to make it a lower spot. It's not that hard from trial and error to figure out where to whack it. The hard part is getting a way to accurately measure the runout.

At first I tried using only one dial indicator, but that's hard to do. You pretty much need to be able to look at both shafts at the same time.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

do you know how to balance a crank?
It's a lot easier to balance the crank than it is to true it. It's not going to do much good though if your crank has too much runout, so true first, then balance.

kavid2012

May 3, 2012
Brentwood, Tennessee

I wish Fouresay was still into motorized bicycling.
He said he had balanced cranks that run 3500~11000 rpm smooth as silk for $100 each.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com

For the 44-47mm piston, drill 2 holes one on each side of the connection rod hole. Hole size should be 11mm this will remove around 49g of material. This will balance the crank well. For 40-44mm piston , drill 8mm holes to remove 39g. These are close approximations and will help balance non balanced cranks. Enjoy the ride.

liveforphysics

Apr 19, 2011
Santa Cruz CA

To measure run-out, you need to have the mains centerless (rolling on the journal on a pair of bearings), or it's worthless. The dial indicators moved in a pattern that looked like a crank suspended on off-set centers.

Nothing done to a crank should be indicated by features on the ends of the shaft.

I balanced a few hundred cranks for various engines when I worked in the racing engine field, never did a single cylinder crank though. The math for calculating your bob weights to find ideal counter balance moment should be pretty easy though, just get the dynamic weight of your piston rod assembly (you weigh both sides with the piston on the rod, hanging from the wrist pin to be horizontal when the big end is on, and visa versa).

You should be able to find guides for measuring and setting up bob weights on single cylinder engines.

liveforphysics

Apr 19, 2011
Santa Cruz CA

liveforphysics, can you sell me a balanced crank for the chinese motors?
I don't sell stuff, I only give cool parts away. I'm not really into the money thing.

As far as these cranks go though, I've never even touched one, and would like to avoid it happening if possible. it's been many years since I was slaving over and old warner balancer with a pile of SBC/SBF/BBC cranks on a rack waiting for my attention. I still have a few gas powered motorcycles and racecars, but electric is all I focus my passion towards now. Just wanted to provide a little guidance to a thread that looked to be needing a bit.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California

Biknut,

Look forward to your dedication on truing HT crankshafts.

In my research of the subject, I've found that most posts recommended using machinist V-Blocks, rather than a lathe. The V-blocks are more accurate than a lathe which requires tuning and adjustments. I don't think you'll get a wood lathe near the accuracy of V-Blocks.

Here's a post to check if your centers are aligned. This might indicate how accurate your measurements are. About 2/3 down the page - shows using a 0.005 - 0.015 feeler gauge leaf to measure alignment:

http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_lathe/Tuning/tuning.htm

I am not a machinists or mechanic - Just my 2 cents.

Keep up the pursuit and I look forward to your continued journey.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

liveforphysics

Apr 19, 2011
Santa Cruz CA

V-blocks are MUCH better because they are centerless (which is the only way you can check a crank's runout).

Unlubed, they tend to chaffe though, and lubed they tend to float a couple tenths as they turn, and then settle when they sit, so your runout reading has a bit of artifact in it.

Rollers are really the only way to do it right. You can make a set of roller blocks for about $40 in materials.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

Biknut,

Look forward to your dedication on truing HT crankshafts.

In my research of the subject, I've found that most posts recommended using machinist V-Blocks, rather than a lathe. The V-blocks are more accurate than a lathe which requires tuning and adjustments. I don't think you'll get a wood lathe near the accuracy of V-Blocks.

Here's a post to check if your centers are aligned. This might indicate how accurate your measurements are. About 2/3 down the page - shows using a 0.005 - 0.015 feeler gauge leaf to measure alignment:

http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_lathe/Tuning/tuning.htm

I am not a machinists or mechanic - Just my 2 cents.

Keep up the pursuit and I look forward to your continued journey.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue
Wow what a great article about tuning up a lathe. Kind of blows my little mind really. That's how little I know. Kind of explains some inconsistances I've been seeing. I didn't understand what was going on.

A lathe, V Blocks, and a Roller are 3 different ways to do it, right?

liveforphysics

Apr 19, 2011
Santa Cruz CA