Water-Resistant Magneto: Any Interest?

GoldenMotor.com

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I am wondering is there would be any interest in a water resistant magneto?

I have gallons of Humiseal 1B73 available and I would take an ordinary Chinese magneto, install wires with teflon insulation and dip the whole thing into the Humiseal to make it water resistant.

The teflon insulated wiring would allow close routing to exhaust piping without any worries of melting the wires' insulation.

HumiSeal® conformal coatings from all chemistries, including acrylics, urethanes and silicones

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
No interest in a year?!? Well, I'm interested; have you tried it yourself?
Good point kioshk...have u tried this? I've taken to duct taping the outter edges to keep the inevitable rooster tail of moisture out of my mag case, even thought about clear coating the windings...but have yet to try...

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
im definatly interested!!
mine is a daily rider and rains quite a bit here (5-7months).
already took out 1 mag, before i realized they werent supposed to get wet :s
dont feel like taking out another.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
There is also a chemical called "The Stuph" that we used to use on R/C boats, it made the radio/motor/ect waterproof.

Also, CorrosionX and Aeroplate work well.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Something i need to try for waterproofing:

Seal All, I needed my seal all to penetrate better for something I was sealing, an air filter, and me knowing my volotile solvent smells, used acetone to 'water' it down a bit in a little shot glass to use to suck it up into a syringe to apply to the filter.
After I looked at the shot glass, there was an ultra thin coating on the shot glass that scraping with my fingernail could not remove.

Acetone and seal all could make a nice waterproofing dip, the thickness dependent on the amount of seal all in the acetone.

rohmell has not been on the motorized bicycle forums for quite some time now, hope he comes back, I might need his electronics guidance.

SuperDave

Sep 24, 2011
Panama City Beach, Fl. USA
I used Plasti-Dip from Home Depot (available here: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Performix-Brand-11-oz-Plasti-Dip-Black-Rubber-Coating-Spray-11203-6/100131010#.UWmm1_K_NV0) and coated my magneto front & back. (except for one bolt hole for ground, a corner of masking tape over the hole prior to paint did the trick) It works. Then for $#!+s & giggles, I coated the inside of the mag cover, clutch cover & sprocket cover as well as inside the casing under the covers for sound deadening. Not much noticeable difference, but every little bit helps, right?

I'm thinking of using a slice of roofing shingle (just the top part, not the pebbled bottom part) cut out to match the inside of the covers because they're made from asphalt, the main ingredient in the sound deadening pads. I think if I use RTV silicone & clean up the inside covers to bare metal, it should stick, then maybe give it another coat of Plasti-Dip as extra insulation should help muffle excess noise.

But I feel my mod helps make my ignition more water RESISTANT and it has lasted longer than the 1st magneto, which wasn't treated.

But your mileage may vary. I live on the gulf coast, about a mile from the beach, and it's as humid as an armpit, so it didn't take but a couple months for my 1st magneto to rust out & die. Which is why I treated my new magneto with Plasti-Dip. Seems to work. The 2nd magneto has lasted over a year now.

Last edited: