Dallas Motor Bicycle Ride

GoldenMotor.com

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
Man I just got home from Dallas bout an hour ago, most the time I was up there I was going, man if only I could have been here yesterday. I looked at my brother in the car and said. You know who lives here? Who? Biknut and HCS, thats who and they had a gettogether and I couldn't come :(. Oh well maybe next time. Seemed like you guys had a blast!!

Ruby478

Apr 2, 2011
Dallas,Tx
yeah it was a good time for sure until my my gaskets and my head blew but thats a quick fix for me and ill be back to riding again in about a week, gonna rebuild the top half of my motor gotta keep that mean ol'66 at its peak

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Here's some tales from the ride. A good ride always has a tail to tell.

The weather was so good there were hundreds of bicycles riding around the lake. Everywhere we rode, if we stopped people wanted to know about our bikes. I remember one guy asking about were we got them, and what they cost. I think we said he could make one for about $500. Happy offered to sell his bike for $500.

The guy was riding a Specialized. It looked well used, as the paint was kind of dinged and faded, but mechanically it looked in very good shape. Then the guy told us he just got his bike out of the shop where he spent $750 on upgrades on his bike. I noticed he had a new bicycle crank that looked like it cost about $500 by itself.

It was kind of a Wall Street meets trailer park moment.

Here's another guy that stopped to look. His bike was all carbon fiber. He said it cost $5,000.

Here in Dallas a MB has a kind of culture shock to bicyclers, because we have a lot of upscale yuppies, and hipsters running around everywhere. They mostly take their bike in to the shop for repairs, or more often, upgrades to stay ahead of the Joneses. The only kind of MBs they've ever heard about are eBikes, and they're not really interested in those. They're not afraid of eBikes but a gas bike explodes their brains.

Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
That was fun and I am excited about the next ride. Next time I will try out my Dax and Tanaka kit. I don't know if it will be as fast as the Madwagon, but I think it will go over better at WRL. I think I scared a couple joggers starting it up to get up the hills, but mostly I just pedaled. Happytimes are hard to pedal with only 1 gear, unless you take the motor chain off. I like the whrring noise the clutch makes though.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
hello, you guys still riding? I notice this post is old. you'll guy hit me up thank you.
Hi saca, I'm still riding all over. I rode from Farmers Branch, to Lower Greenvile on Sunday. What part of town are you in?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Hey Biknut, thanks for responding. I live in oak cliff, I ride my bike everywhere too. to downtown, west dallas and to maple area today.
Cool, as soon as it's warm enough I'll meet you somewhere.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I tried for months to organize some rides, but nothing happened. We got a couple small groups together for rides near White Rock Lake last year. Biknut (member) has the best bikes and did well to host a ride.

I'm sure we'll ride this year.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Hey Biknut, thanks for responding. I live in oak cliff, I ride my bike everywhere too. to downtown, west dallas and to maple area today.
Cool, as soon as it's warm enough I'll meet you somewhere.
If anyone's interested, me and seca are going to ride to Strokers tomorrow, Thursday the 28th, at 2 pm for lunch. One more motorized bicycle and we can set a new record for motorized bicycles at Strokers, 3 at one time.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
So I ride down to Strokers today and met Seca. He was great, but I'm afraid I didn't make a very good impression. My bike fried the magneto coil about a mile and half from there, and I had to pedal the rest of the way. I got there a little late, but he was nice enough to wait for me. We didn't get to do any riding together, and I had to pedal 6 miles home, again, for like the 4th time LOL.

His bike is a masterpiece DIY bike of his own design. It has a 3 hp brigs running through a 6 speed derailleur. He said it tops out about 45 mph. He rode 20 miles to get there from Oak Cliff. At least we were able to have a couple burgers, and beer together, and talk bikes, but it got annoying being interupted all the time by people that wanted to know about our bikes.

I can tell Seca is a real rider that I expect to do a lot of riding with in the coming months.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Since the majority of curious questioners don't really want to buy an motorized bicycle, I usually just politely answer 1 or 2 questions, then give them a 1/4 page flyer with this website and my email. I remember one guy who used to ask me the same thing every time I went to the Walmart, then when he moved I said goodbye and he was upset, saying "I thought you said you were going to help me build one of those." lol. But he never called, emailed, or knocked. I'm not giving them away! Maybe eventually someone else will build one, but I think I'm the only motorized bicycle rider in my town.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
So I ride down to Strokers today and met Seca. He was great, but I'm afraid I didn't make a very good impression. My bike fried the magneto coil about a mile and half from there, and I had to pedal the rest of the way. I got there a little late, but he was nice enough to wait for me. We didn't get to do any riding together, and I had to pedal 6 miles home, again, for like the 4th time LOL.

His bike is a masterpiece DIY bike of his own design. It has a 3 hp brigs running through a 6 speed derailleur. He said it tops out about 45 mph. He rode 20 miles to get there from Oak Cliff. At least we were able to have a couple burgers, and beer together, and talk bikes, but it got annoying being interupted all the time by people that wanted to know about our bikes.

I can tell Seca is a real rider that I expect to do a lot of riding with in the coming months.
So after my embarrassment of having to show up at Stroker's with my bike not running, Seca was kind (brave) enough to agree to ride with me again.

So we set a date for a couple days later. Gave me time to fix my bike. This time we had much better luck. Take a close look at Seca's bike. This is no kit bike. He made this himself. He's been riding ll over this huge city alone, till he met me. Now there's 2 of us. He lives as far from downtown as I do. We both live almost 20 miles from downtown. He suggested we meet there, since it's as far for each of us. I'm not even sure if he thought I could make it that far damnit. But I did haha.

We cruised the downtown area, and Deep Ellum, and Fair Park. He bought me pizza across the street from the fair grounds to celebrate my bike making it that far. He brought a big bag of tools, I think because he was worried he might have to fix my bike lol. From there we rode to White Rock lake, which is going another 15 miles in the opposite direction from where either one of us lives. We even did a drive by of the Katy Trail on the way back. We rode along, not going very fast. My was is reving like a 2 stroke, but Seca's bike with all those gears is just going blub, blub, blub, hardly above idle. He can do 45 mph reving it in high gear. We ended up riding back downtown, before we split up and when our separate way. When I got home I was just short of 43 miles. A good fun day for our first ride together.

So anyway Seca just raised the bar on all of us. He actually built his bike from scratch, not an easy to build kit bike like mine. I think the rest of us Dallas riders better man up, and bring our good game if we want to ride with our new Dallas motorized bicycle club (soon to be named). I suggest you figure out how far it is to downtown from your house, and find a way to keep your crappy bike together for at least that long lol. How you get home is your problem lol j/k.

My advise is if you want to have some fun, get your bike running well, so you can ride with us. It doesn't have to be fast. We never went over 25. Maybe 30 once, but only for a second. The riding season is coming like an avalanche. Now I really can say us, because it's not just me anymore yeahoo.