Mounting at 60 Degrees?

GoldenMotor.com

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Actually you are right about the 75 degrees, if you have the room to lift the engine up, mount the rear mount and fabricate the front mount, where it meets the front tube.

Take a look here and maybe it will give you some ideas.
http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/ae309/Ron-Becker/Engine Mounting/

Now if you want to use the bike, maybe this will give you some more ideas.
Broken mount repair pictures by Ron-Becker - Photobucket

I was experimenting with different broken mounts, and came up with these. All will mount solidly.

HAHAHA....I just looked at your links and what did I find...As far as the bike itself, I see NO problem mounting a HT on it...piece of cake.

Last edited:

fishyfish777

Sep 2, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
Actually you are right about the 75 degrees, if you have the room to lift the engine up, mount the rear mount and fabricate the front mount, where it meets the front tube.

Take a look here and maybe it will give you some ideas.
Engine Mounting pictures by Ron-Becker - Photobucket

Now if you want to use the bike, maybe this will give you some more ideas.
Broken mount repair pictures by Ron-Becker - Photobucket

I was experimenting with different broken mounts, and came up with these. All will mount solidly.

HAHAHA....I just looked at your links and what did I find...As far as the bike itself, I see NO problem mounting a HT on it...piece of cake.
Well, just wasn't sure if the front mount would sit perfectly flat on the downtube but I guess with enough time I could (a la some of your examples) grab a metal file and sandpaper from ACE and file away enough aluminum to make it sit snug if it doesn't fit right. Maybe a brake-pad washer or two so the mounting bolts tighten correctly?

Thanks for the examples and reassurance! Just making sure of how things will fit before my engine arrives in like a week.

Last edited:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
On this bike I had less then 75 deg. What I took was a piece of angle iron (1/8" is fine) bolted it to the engine mount, slid it down so it met the tube, then took a piece of flat stock and welded it to the angle and took a muffler clamp to secure it. Now if the frame is aluminum I'd suggest a shim on the outside to keep from crushing the tube.

Engine Mounting :: P1110870.jpg picture by Ron-Becker - Photobucket

The engine mounts won't be close enough (proper fit on tube) to just shim.

Last edited:

fishyfish777

Sep 2, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
On this bike I had less then 75 deg. What I took was a piece of angle iron (1/8" is fine) bolted it to the engine mount, slid it down so it met the tube, then took a piece of flat stock and welded it to the angle and took a muffler clamp to secure it. Now if the frame is aluminum I'd suggest a shim on the outside to keep from crushing the tube.

Engine Mounting :: P1110870.jpg picture by Ron-Becker - Photobucket

The engine mounts won't be close enough (proper fit on tube) to just shim.
Yeah, if that looks simpler to do (and my cordless drill works) by the time I get the engine I might do that for the front mount instead - rectifies the potential problem of having too thick a downtube as well. Thank you again!