Clean those brakes!

GoldenMotor.com

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
As a working bicycle mechanic, I see lots of safety hazards on the average bike that ends up on my stand.

The most common of them all are dirty/greasy/worn brake parts.

Rim brakes of any type are especially prone to this if you ride in wet conditions, you'd be surprised at just how much oil and grit you pick up. As this gunk(highly technical term)Builds up on your rims it cuts brake efficiency immensely.

Check those rims for trueness and concentricity!
Rim brakes don't work correctly on a warped wheel.
RE true the wheel. Check for broken or loose spokes-
(a real problem with motor bikes)
Check those brake pads for wear and adjust or replace them as needed.
After every wet ride, I take the time to wipe down my bikes and clean the rims with mind soap and water and use compressed air to dry them, then I take some fine emery cloth and spin the wheels while scuffing in the rims braking surfaces and then blow them clean again.

Disc brakes are NOT immune to this condition, I spray the rotors with brake cleaner and wipe them off with a clean lint free rag, then I inspect the calipers and brake pads for signs of wear or gunk buildup....

Ive developed a method for cleaning most mechanical disc brake calipers quickly and efficiently.
You might not want to clean hydraulic calipers the same way because of reaction concerns with brake fluid/hoses and the alcohol, but it works great on cable actuated calipers.

In a clean coffee can I use some straight wood alcohol, I un bolt the caliper and dip it in several times and use a fine brush to dislodge the gunk, then wipe it off and use compressed air to blow it fully clean and dry, I can then check the pads for even wear and make sure those butter fly springs are in good shape.
Make sure the ball and ramp or cam actuators are properly lubricated before putting the calipers back on.
Check those rotors for trueness... a grabby warped front rotor can end your ride real fast.
Whoa to match the go, my dad always said...
check those brakes... NOW!
Keep it shiny side up...
BBB
.duh.

Last edited: