Will This Fork Fit?

GoldenMotor.com

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
Front Fork Assy will fit Whizzer Motorbikes - eBay (item 220571615766 end time Feb-06-11 21:15:26 PST)

I need disc brakes on my 2006 Whizzer. This fork is from a 2008 Whizzer Ambassador.
The Ambassador forks will fit the NE5.
A word or two of caution is in order however. I have heard from sources that you may want to avoid using the front wheel from an Ambassador or NE-R, as on some wheels incorrect bearings are used and you can and likely will develop side to side play that borders on the dangerous.
Also, with that fork (or any Whizzer triple tree fork) it is imperative that you do not pinch the bottoms closer together or spread them farther apart. The wheel you use must be able to allow for the original geometry or one or both fork shocks could bind.
I'm saying that because the bracket for the disc brake caliper is welded to the fork tube and is not adjustable. On the Ambassador and NE-R it causes the wheel to be offset slightly to the left and not be completely centered.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Well, I bit the hook and bought the Ambassador fork.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_956

Then I took the line and purchased the assembled Ambassador chrome wheel with 12g spokes, disc hub and 190mm disc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_956

Then I swallowed it all and got the entire front disc assembly with handlebar, all for $290 including expensive FEDEX shipping.

If it fits and works well, I'm a happy camper.dance1

If it doesn't...:-||

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Thanks guys. The parts arrived today, but I haven't had time to inspect the parts, probably on Friday. dance1
It'll probably be some time before I install the parts, but I'll keep you posted.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I finally got around to opening the boxes and assembling the pieces. My bike is at another location so I'm not able to install it. Everything fit well together, but the vendor forgot to send and bill me for the brake lever. I won't need it if the original NE-5 lever fits.

The disc brake bracket on the fork and caliper is unique. It looks like something Tony Stark(Iron Man) fabricated in that cave. Caliper seems very primitive.

LATE-MODEL MOUNTAIN-BIKE CALIPERS WILL NOT BOLT ONTO THIS AMBASSADOR FORK! NO POSSIBILITY OF UPGRADING TO 205MM OR HYDRAULIC BRAKE. :-||

The new chrome wheel came fully assembled with 12g spokes, disc and axle. The entire assembly slipped easily onto the Ambassador fork. I didn't doubt that it would, since they were made for each other. Wheel spacing is perfect.

New handlebar is ape-hanger style; fork has motor-cycle style stem, unlike the NE-5's bicycle's bootleg-style stem. I like the bicycle-type bar. Hopefully the NE-5's handlebar will interchange.

I'll know soon when I visit my Whizzerdance1.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Most Of It Fits So Far.

I had time to work a little on the fork installation.
Front fender was removed, as well as headlight. Instead of unplugging the front individual harness wiring, I simply unbolted the top suspension tube cover. This allowed the cover to be raised. Then the harness was rerouted behind the fork. The handlebar was removed intact with all controls. I forgot my extra-wide crescent wrench to loosen the stem, tho. Forgot my ruler and calipers, but the fork SHOULD slip right into the frame. HOWEVER, the Ambassador fork is almost 2" wider, so the NE5 Whizzer faceplate is too narrow. That'll need to be widened, painted and new simple brackets fabbed for the faceplate AND the front turn signal mounting bracket.

The Ambassador fork uses an ape hanger handlebar, which was included in the purchase. However, there's a capped hole in the new fork where it looked like the NE5 handlebar stem would slip right in!!! Too good to be true. The fork's hole is a fraction of an inch too narrow to accept the NE5 stem and the locking nut which drops down into the fork. The handlebar OR fork and locking nut would have to be slightly machined to fit.

AT least I know the Ambassador handlebar will fit, along with existing controls, speedo,etc.

The disc brake cable fits the NE5 brake lever perfectly, as well as the speedo cable.

skitchfish

Oct 27, 2010
Michigan
I also purchased one these forks but do not have a wheel yet. When you say "wheel spacing is perfect" you mean the wheel is definitely centered between fork tubes.....
correct? I thought it was funny the right side fork end was welded offset to the left side.
Your input is super significant and more info would be greatly appreciated. I've been wanting to order the wheel but after reading previous post became scared. For that amount of money it would be a bummer to dogtrack, catwalk or whatever you call it!

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Hey, skitchfish,

I haven't mounted the fork onto the bike or taken notice about the offset right fork. Will keep you posted.

Granted, the new Ambassador wheel does not seem to have the quality of name-brand wheels. The rim is chrome, which I might swap out for the NE5 black aluminum rim. However, this Ambassador wheel does fit well in the Ambassador fork, as it was designed to.

I REALLY want to be able to use the NE5 handlebar on the Ambassador fork. Believe it or not, the NE5 stem is slightly swedged to fit into its own fork. If the stem and lock nut can be machined to fit without jeopardizing safety, I'll do it.

The vendor has Ambassador front turn signal asemblies. I have a hunch that they screw into the side holes on the new fork where the amber reflectors are located on the NE5 fork. If that's the case, it'll solve my turn-signal issues.

Now to figure out how to mount the NE5 Whizzer faceplate. :-||

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Well, the NE5 signal assemblies are there already. It just might take two simple L-brackets to mount them. I'll try doing that instead of buying the new Ambassador front signals.

NE5 amber reflectors thread right into the sides of the Ambassador fork, like how they do on the NE5 fork.

An Ambassador II weighs 151 lbs., compared to 97lbs. on my bike. I guess that's why they upgraded to disc brakes. Less weight on my bike should make the front disc work even better than a stock Ambassador.

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I spent some time working on the fork transplant today. Fortunately, both forks can be completely disassembled to remove the fork legs. Somehow, I overlooked the obvious to see if the Ambassador tube w/disc brake could swap onto the NE5's fork assembly. I'll check the next time, but I don't think it will. If it does, that'd be fantastic! Methinks it won't, because the Ambassador fork is much wider than the NE5's.

Everything more or less slipped right in. The Ambassador's stem is a fraction of an inch longer. HOWEVER, its top plate is thick, molded aluminum, whereas the NE5's plate is flat, maybe 10mm thick. Therefore, the Ambassador's threaded stem is TOO SHORT. The Ambassador and the NE5 have different frames, so the Ambassador's frame's head must be shorter. There is also a tapered metal sleeve/spacer which slips onto the fork's shaft, but this spacer is too short to work well with the Ambassador fork in the NE5's frame's head.

Maybe I can simply add another spacer in the headset, so the tapered sleeve/spacer would fit the Ambassador's molded aluminum plate. I'll try that next time.

Strangely, the new cable for the Ambassador's disc brake seems too short. Maybe it's the position of the apehanger handlebar (I can't use the NE5's original handlebar unless I machine the inside diameter of the Ambassador fork's threaded shaft to accept the handlebar and locknut. Orrr, I could cut off the NE5's threaded shaft and weld it onto place. That would lengthen the threaded shaft and accept the original handlebar.

Right now, I have the Ambassador fork installed, with only the short top nut securing it to the head. In a few days, I should be able to figure out what to do next.

So whomever said that the Amabassador fork would bolt onto the NE5, can you please fill me in on what I should do to make it fit properly? :-||

Last edited:

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
I guess I'm the culprit who said it would fit, and that was based on knowing that the steering tube (or stem) was a little longer than that of the NE5. I didn't figure the fork's plates would come into play there and cause it to be too short. One thing you could do (with the fork off) is to tap off (with a mallet) the top and bottom bearing races and with a dremel, file or grinder remove a little off of the top and bottom of the head tube to shorten it. Those bearing races are a press-fit like on other bikes, so you can press them back on.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Kilroy, it seems like the steering shaft is almost an inch too short. The small nut ca barely bolt on without the large nut. A extra .5" spacer seems to be needed, so that the top-side of the bearing can seat under the molded aluminum top plate.

Lemme go look for pics and correct terms.