Don't Overtighten Gas Tanks

GoldenMotor.com

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
A few weeks ago I was riding my bike on a route that was about 10 miles long. About halfway through, I noticed the smell of gasoline. So, I looked down at the carburetor and couldn't see anything wrong. No gas was coming out of the vent cap on the tank either. I continued to notice the smell at low speeds but didn't think too much of it because I couldn't see anything.

Once I got home, I noticed something dripping on the driveway from my bike. As it turns out, premixed fuel had been dripping out from the studs on the underside of the tank. It was dripping at a rate of two drops per second. I quickly had to get a metal dish to contain the gas. It was a big mess because the whole underside of the tank was soaked along with the whole downtube and CDI. On top of that, gas was dripping right onto the hot cylinder head!

My brother tried to braze the studs, but he ran out of oxygen. I just recently realized why this incident happened. It's because I overtightened the studs to the bike tube. The studs were bent inward. This caused stress on the underside of the tank, which caused a crack to develop around the stud. Basically, the stud bent and tore the metal that it was attached to.

The lesson I learned here is to only tighten the studs enough so the gas tank can't easily move or flip over. I've installed a new tank with this in mind and haven't had any problems so far.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Good thing to do when installing a tank is put some good double sided foam tape between it and the frame to "stick" it in place before your tighten the brackets.

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
I agree Kevlarr, I also had to braze my tank studs. The sticky foam tape holds the tank well with very little tension on the tank studs.

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
i left mine aliittle loose and good thing i was about a mile from home when i noticed air in the fuel line... i was able to tip the tank abit and it got me home...lesson learned either keep the tank adjustable or check the gas allittle more often..

Deadend

Aug 19, 2009
ca
if you're in pinch and you dont have foam tape, a bit of old tubing (bicycle tire air tube) works as well

scooterhoot

Aug 2, 2009
Britton,mi
BGF sent me 2 rubber strips for the motor mounts, didn't use them. tank kept on moving, tried a self tapping screw though the bottom mount, screw sheered. Put the rubber pad under the tank mounts and have had 900 mi with out any problems.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Electricians use a something called 'splicing tape'. It is a thick, tacky and stretchy rubber product that comes on a roll like electrical tape. It can be wrapped around the top bar before mounting the tank. It holds well. It can also be used to keep things like horns, lights,bells, anything that clamps to your handlebars from loosening and rotating. It's not a standard hardware store item but electrical supply houses carry it or maybe you know an electrician who would part with a roll. Bicycle shops sell a similiar product but much more expensive.
Tom

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
Electricians use a something called 'splicing tape'. It is a thick, tacky and stretchy rubber product that comes on a roll like electrical tape. It can be wrapped around the top bar before mounting the tank. It holds well. It can also be used to keep things like horns, lights,bells, anything that clamps to your handlebars from loosening and rotating. It's not a standard hardware store item but electrical supply houses carry it or maybe you know an electrician who would part with a roll. Bicycle shops sell a similiar product but much more expensive.
Tom
is this the same stuff as ive always called 5KVA tape??? why would home depot or anything else sell 5000V tape???

Zebo

Oct 10, 2009
AZ
Mounting my tank on my Huffy, glad i found these tips. I got mine used and one bolt on the tank is bent, I hope it does not leak.

Thanks

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
there isnt a quick and easy fix! drain your tank and pull it off- braze or weld after tank has been cleared or replace with a plastic tank.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
heres what i do with my tanks first i cut a old tube black tape it to the frame i completly cover the innertube with tape i then screw several nuts on the studs before mounting bracket so i can get a tight fit with out bending studs i like to be able to twist my tank in case i have to load it sideways in a car or truck with out fuel flowing everywhere i simlpy turn the tank and lossen the carb and turn it too that keeps the fuel from flooding

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
What would be a quick easy fix to stop the leak for when this does happen?
I dunno, "Dubble Bubble" bubble gum? You could keep some in your pocket for emergencies, it never goes bad - just gets really hard after a while.

You did ask for quick & easy. That's all I got. Since they're pretty cheap, I'd just buy a new tank with the next paycheck. I get nervous about brazing anything that had gas in it. It scares me, but that's just me.

P.S.: I'm kidding about the bubblegum, for pity's sake don't do that. I truly have no idea what will happen.

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
there isnt a quick and easy fix! drain your tank and pull it off- braze or weld after tank has been cleared or replace with a plastic tank.
I've had the same thing happen, as well as having snapped one of the studs from over tightening a nut on one with screwed-up threads. To fix the crack without welding or brazing, drain the tank thoroughly and dry it out.....compressed air works well for this. Wire brush the crack on the outside of the tank to bare metal. Mix a small amount of quick setting 2-part epoxy and apply it to the crack, making sure to fill the crack by applying it with pressure with a popsicle stick or similar. Let it set-up and cure overnight and your good to go the next day. The very first one I repaired over a year ago today is still holding gas and hasn't leaked yet.

And just curious.....where can you get a plastic replacement tank? I've yet to see one outside of an old motorcycle tank.

motorhead419

Jul 6, 2009
ohio
Mounting my tank on my Huffy, glad i found these tips. I got mine used and one bolt on the tank is bent, I hope it does not leak.

Thanks
Here's what I do: I just use the front mount. Your frame is curved and you put undue stress on your tank if you tighten both mounts. Put a piece of thin rubber between your frame and the tank also.zpt

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
Here's what I do: I just use the front mount. Your frame is curved and you put undue stress on your tank if you tighten both mounts. Put a piece of thin rubber between your frame and the tank also.zpt
I would think using only your front mount would make your tank flap like Superman's cape going WOT expecially with a chunk of rubber between the tank and frame! Kip.
[email protected]

motorhead419

Jul 6, 2009
ohio
You use a real thin piece of rubber..My bike does 40+ mph and the tank has never moved. See you in the slow lane.dnut

Last edited: