Motorized mountain bike in Oregon

GoldenMotor.com

Kommandant

Jan 27, 2014
Oregon
Hello there. I'm new to the forum and thought I'd ask for some help. My friends and I are putting together a couple of motorized bicycles and it has come to my turn to build mine. Having been looking at the china girl 66cc/80cc engine kit (which one of my friends has when he bought a preowned prebuilt motor bike) and been thinking about putting it on my 2007 24" GT Aggressor. I am very worried about the Oregon law and would like some opinions. Thanks.

Kommandant

Jan 27, 2014
Oregon
I've read the law and I understand whats legal and what's not. What I really want to know is if there's anyone in Oregon who is running the 66cc/80cc China Girl?

Sideshowbob

Dec 26, 2010
Salem OR
Hi we have a loose club here around salem look on facebook at the Salem Motorized Bycycle Club page. I don't do FB any more so I don't know what they are up to. Law wise we always ride out on the farmroads. I am the only one that got a license plate and insurance. (Since expired) we don't ever get hassled as a group out in the sticks or if we ride to the steam up in Brooks in the summer. But i used to ride right through downtown a lot Nd got the stink eye from cops more than once. Thats why i got tags(big pain in the ass but possible with the right equipment) if u r riding in Portland they won't bother u unless they are really bored or u r riding like a maniac. There are guys there that ride everyday and they said they never get hassled. We ride through lots of small farm towns like Jefferson all the time and never get hassled.. good luck on your build..

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
It a very good idea to look up your local laws on motorized bicycles/mopeds many states consider them to be the same thing. Having a legal build is a good thing. Still in most places riding habits are what's most important. Fully obey all traffic laws at all times. Ride as if you were on a motorcycle. By doing this you should avoid any legal issues.

Kommandant

Jan 27, 2014
Oregon
Thank you for your reply. I'll be mostly riding from Keizer down to Downtown where I work. I've been told that if you ride in Salem you should peddle around cops to avoid getting attention. I also would be making a weekly pilgrimage to Portland where my friends are and there shop.

Kommandant

Jan 27, 2014
Oregon
It a very good idea to look up your local laws on motorized bicycles/mopeds many states consider them to be the same thing. Having a legal build is a good thing. Still in most places riding habits are what's most important. Fully obey all traffic laws at all times. Ride as if you were on a motorcycle. By doing this you should avoid any legal issues.
Thanks. I've been told by my friend to carry a copy of the ordinance on myself just in case I get pulled over.