Blue Ridge Parkway--On my bucket list

GoldenMotor.com

Grizzzlymarty

Apr 7, 2013
Lookout Mtn GA
I recently got a 2005 Whizzer for about $400 in trades. It had 48 miles on it with 2 broken turn signals. Everything else worked fine so I think I came out ok. I changed the oil, fuel filter, spark plug and replaced the turn signals with aftermarket. Is there anything else I should do?

Next question. I have always dreamed of riding the Blue Ridge Parkway on a motorbike. I am NOT an experienced rider. I'm 47 and have ridden a dirt bike a few times. Yeah, I can hear your laughter, but everyone starts sometime. So, my question is what should I be concerned about taking it on the BRP? My wife has agreed to drive chase and I have driven/camped the BRP many times. I am more concerned about the little things that I dont know about taking a Whizzer on a long trip.

Last Question. I might be interested in inviting some others. Anyone interested? I am planning on doing this next May and taking 9 days. E-mail and we can discuss it.

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Going over the complete bike would be good,greasing the bearings, check your brakes.
make sure head bolts are tight (torque), fenders are secure, belts are good.
Getting to know how your rider rides and fills.
Got my first whizzer at age 42.
I'm in Cali, that sounds like some good riding, post pics of your journey.

Ray

Grizzzlymarty

Apr 7, 2013
Lookout Mtn GA
Thanks a lot Mason_man. I have already checked those things except the head bolts. How many lbs torque should they be?

So far I have put about 60 miles on the bike and love it. It proves that you don't have to go fast to have fun.

I really appreciate your help.

grizzzlymarty

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
Hi Grizzzlymarty....I like that.

10mm head bolts (2) are at 17.5 ft. pounds.
8mm " " (7) are at 14 ft. pounds.

See pic for torque sequence.

I forgot to mention maybe using thorn resistance tubes too, they can be a life saver, believe me.

Does your Whizzer have the clutch pulley or auto clutch.

Ray

Attachments

Last edited: