• riding without a licence on bike

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • bike safety

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Donbia

Mar 2, 2012
Des Moines, Iowa USA
I am in the process of setting up a motorized bicycle, A problem I have en-counted is the titling of the bike, the DOT says it is a devise and they will not issue a title for it. This brings up another problem, insurance company's will not insure it without a title. Further they say just ride it, if I receive a ticket because it is not licensed, go to court and plead that the dot will not issue a title r.ly.r.ly.r.ly..crt.for it.
Which comes to my question, what problems in this area if any, that any of you encountered and what have you had to about it.
I plain to have turn signals stop lite head lite, windshield, finders to meet any safety requirements that may come up. hopefully that will keep me from being stop.

inked1974

Apr 11, 2011
Palo, Iowa
Hello Donbia.. I live in Iowa as well and have read that "motorized bicycles" ARE legal in the state with headlamp, tail light and a flag that is no less then 5ft tall. However, in my "city" they are illegal. city law trumping state law. I ride my bike causing as little attention as possible. I have yet to have any issues. I would say to research your local laws and ride safe and respectfully and you will have no problems. Good luck to you

Donbia

Mar 2, 2012
Des Moines, Iowa USA
In the state of Iowa, since they are considered a device and are not required to have a title or licence on it. further the local police indicated they will not bother me as long as I ride responsible. But in saying this there is a code that relates to this 321.1(40)b just under electric motor bikes code 321.1(40)b.
It says electric or engine, but everyone seems to have a different opinion on it.
I have a call into the house about the Legislation relating to this bill and what they wrote and passed it to mean. To explain the exact meaning and possibly make a change to allow for the install of these kits. This is needed because of the economy and high cost of gas, not even considering the low cost of setting up a commuter bike such as this, that even the low income can afford. They talk about electric motors, but there range is limited and you can peddle faster they can pull the bike. further it is more costly to set up.
I would like any of you that live in Iowa even other states to write your Representative about this and have tham look into making a change or revivifying this law to be more clear and to allow for a title to be issued, this would make things a lot easier to say the least.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
See if this applies to your state. Here in Texas there's no laws specifically naming gas powered motor bicycles. Yours may be the same.

In Texas, as well as many other states a motor vehicle is defined as being any self propelled vehicle. China Girl style motor bicycles don't qualify as self propelled because they can't drive off from a stop under their own power, and have to be peddled up to speed before engaging the motor. If you have to peddle it, it's not self propelled.

Usually if it's not considered a motor vehicle, and there's no other specific law that applies, it's only considered a bicycle in the eyes of the law. that's the case here in Texas.

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
Also the case here is these are engine assisted bicycles, not pedal assisted motorcycles like most people think, but making them still motorized but not self propelled. I talked to a cop here and he told me my setup is legal, I just can't go any faster than 30MPH.....but I do anyways:p. If I'm right they put motors and engines in the same category so you shouldn't have problem concerning that and the engine can't be any bigger than 49cc but the cops here don't care that I'm still 27cc over.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Also the case here is these are engine assisted bicycles, not pedal assisted motorcycles like most people think, but making them still motorized but not self propelled. I talked to a cop here and he told me my setup is legal, I just can't go any faster than 30MPH.....but I do anyways:p. If I'm right they put motors and engines in the same category so you shouldn't have problem concerning that and the engine can't be any bigger than 49cc but the cops here don't care that I'm still 27cc over.
I'm sorry but that's totally wrong. It's true your MB is legal, but 30 mph has nothing to do with it. In Texas all motor vehicles are considered self propelled. No exceptions. The only reason we can ride gas powered MBs is because they can't figure out how to prove they're self propelled.

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
No it says it in the Texas drivers handbook, it says any motorized-motorassisted bicycle may not exceed an engine dis of 50cc and can not obtain speeds of more than 30MPH. Or otherwise it would need to be registered and insured. I've talked to a deputy-sheriff and the local cops about it and they all said the same thing. I don't know if they've changed it in the last year? But as far MB's go in Texas, that's what the regulations are. Now I know a good while back the limit was 100cc and no speed limit but that was a long time ago.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
No it says it in the Texas drivers handbook, it says any motorized-motorassisted bicycle may not exceed an engine dis of 50cc and can not obtain speeds of more than 30MPH. Or otherwise it would need to be registered and insured. I've talked to a deputy-sheriff and the local cops about it and they all said the same thing. I don't know if they've changed it in the last year? But as far MB's go in Texas, that's what the regulations are. Now I know a good while back the limit was 100cc and no speed limit but that was a long time ago.
I wish that was true but it's not. Have a look for yourself. If you find it let me know.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/driverlicense/documents/dl-7.pdf

Donbia

Mar 2, 2012
Des Moines, Iowa USA
In Iowa they struck down the 50cc law and put in 30mph, also it says peddles or a foot peg for you feet, I think they knew that any good mechanic could get the bike to go faster, so the 30 mph limit.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
In Iowa they struck down the 50cc law and put in 30mph, also it says peddles or a foot peg for you feet, I think they knew that any good mechanic could get the bike to go faster, so the 30 mph limit.
As long as they let you ride, 30 mph isn't a big problem. How often is a cop around to see how fast you're going anyway, especially on side streets.

My 50 only does about 30 tops, but my 80 goes faster than that.